And so it begins... *UPDATE!*

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 27th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Tofu Bacon
I got a phone call from the school district this morning . Quick history: ds was registered with the district because he was receiving special ed services. The second year was absolutely horrible and we had pretty much decided to homeschool, but let him finish out the current school year... then the first day back from Christmas vacation, he was physically assaulted by a teacher aid, so we immediately pulled him out of the school and withdrew him from the district, amid protests from the special ed department. That was in January, then lats month I got a call from the district to bring him in for a kindergarten screening, to which I told them he would not be attending because we are not sending him to their school. So, I guess we were "flagged" as potential homeschoolers So then this morning I call a call telling me that I need to submit a letter of intent. I informed her that we are not obligated to submit the letter this year because the law states that a letter of intent is required if the student will be 6 years old on or before 12/1 of the coming school year, and ds won't be 6 until March. She told me that it is "required" so I told her to take a second look at what the law says; she was like "Okkkaaaay..." and that was the end of the conversation.

Last edited by Tofu Bacon; May 29th, 2010 at 05:10 AM.
May 27th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Veteran
Wow! So sorry you are going through this.....School districts can be so difficult to deal with sometimes. If the contact you further, I would ask them to email you a statement of their demands and then I would forward that email to your Department Of Education and let them handle it further.

Good luck!
Baby Emma born 11/11/10 and Baby Bean Due 10/02/11
May 27th, 2010, 10:44 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I can't remember which state you're in, but they might be correct. If you've used services from the PS, and your child would've been in K this year if you continued, then yes, you'd be obligated to submit a letter in most states, even if you don't actually begin teaching for another year. I'd check with HSLDA or a lawyer to be sure. Or, take the easy way out and submit a letter just to get them off your back.
May 27th, 2010, 12:42 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Are you a member of HSLDA? If your not, then I would suggest that you do. I am not a member, but I think if I had something like that going on, then I would become one or at least have a attorney on standby. I am guessing your going to have a rough road ahead of you with your school system. Hang in there!!
May 27th, 2010, 04:38 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
If your already having issue HSLDA is not likely to help..they prefer your a member then they help..they don't like issues that start before your a member...that said.. yes..Crystal is right.. on both points..odds are you are obligated because he was in school.. either was I'd send a letter just to end the battle before it starts..
May 27th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Tofu Bacon
See, he didn't actually attend school within the district, though. He was registered with the district in order to receive services, but he attended a private ABA program. I read through the state education laws re: homeschooling (I'm in NY) but I didn't see any exception for special ed students... I could understand if he was still receiving services, but we withdrew him back in January and declined any further services.

Last edited by Tofu Bacon; May 27th, 2010 at 07:59 PM.
May 28th, 2010, 04:26 AM
Hummm..NY is such a tough HSing state ( I'm on the MA/NY border).. not sure what I'd do.
May 28th, 2010, 07:42 AM
mater bibit
I'm really naive in these things so please don't take this question the wrong way - I'm just genuinely curious. Is there a reason to not just send in the letter now to be on the safest side?
May 28th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Tofu Bacon
^^The only reason is because its not necessary or required, and I'm not going to comply with them making up their own rules. Kindergarten is not compulsory in NY, and they really have no right to require more of us than any other family with a kindergarten-age child. I'm in no hurry to have a notoriously homeschool-unfriendly district judging whether or not our curriculum choices are good enough and submitting quarterly reports that aren't required by law. I can't help but feel like they are singling us out because they lost their funding for ds, when we pulled him out mid-year.

I ended up contacting HSLDA to double check, so I'm just waiting on an answer from them.

Last edited by Tofu Bacon; May 28th, 2010 at 08:34 AM.
May 28th, 2010, 08:59 AM
mater bibit
quarterly reports? wow .. I hear about NY being a tough state for HSing but don't know much about what is required. I hope the HSLDA gives you a helpful answer.
May 28th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Tofu Bacon
That's the thing, NY already requires so much, why should we be singled out to have to give more? Ds is no longer registered as a preschooler in need of services, and we are not accepting any services. If he was, then I could understand having to file this year.
May 28th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
It does feel like an invasion. NV has their wording mixed up but all they require is a letter of intent and it stays on file for 15 yrs. Thats the ONLY thing about NV I like.

I hope you get an answer soon from HSLDA.

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
May 28th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Personally, I'd just send the letter.

I can almost bet your name is on some list of birthdays somewhere in a file cabinet people only check once a year. Somebody probably got paid minimum wage to call and tell you that you're registered somewhere because of something they have no clue about. The only way they can take your name off their to-do list is to match it with a letter of intent and file it in another cabinet no one ever looks at.
May 28th, 2010, 12:14 PM
I'm not sure about that Crystal..NY is tough .. wlike I said we are on the border and many of our friends are in NY and what they go to to HS is crazy..
May 28th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Tofu Bacon
But its not just sending the letter. I would also have to submit my IHIP, quarterly reports, and any other required paperwork as well. The district can't just make up their own rules.
May 28th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu Bacon View Post
But its not just sending the letter. I would also have to submit my IHIP, quarterly reports, and any other required paperwork as well. The district can't just make up their own rules.
Nooooooooow I see what you're saying. I'd contact a lawyer if they bother you again. Next time, they'll probably show up at your door.
May 29th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Tofu Bacon
HSLDA got back to me. My suspicions were correct that there is no provision in the law that requires me to file now, since ds does not receive any services through the district. They said they would call the district office if it comes necessary. I also submitted my application for membership, so they did help even though my membership wasn't approved yet.
May 29th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Oh awesome! good news
May 29th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
Thats awesome news!

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
May 29th, 2010, 07:29 PM
mater bibit
awesome