curriculum vent

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 1st, 2010, 09:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
So many curriculum companies go on about how their curriculum works with all learning styles (visual, auditory, kinesthetic). Yet these very same programs don't ever stop to think about the parent's learning style.

There are a handful of them that the teachers manual is essentially a DVD. I am not a person that can learn from watching a DVD. Give me a book already! Not only do I learn better by reading, but I don't have time to sit through the DVD with you teaching the lesson so that I can turn around and teach the same lesson to my children. Do they really think we have so much extra time that we can essentially go through the school day twice (once with just us and the DVD, once with our children)? Not to mention that it always seems to add about $100 to the price tag.

I just needed to get that out. I don't understand what these curriculum publishers are thinking. They supposedly have a great curriculum, but I can't even consider it because it's too costly, too time consuming, and it won't help me at all, even if it would be perfect for my children.
June 1st, 2010, 09:45 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
(((HUGS))) No kidding!!
June 1st, 2010, 11:52 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Hum.. I have only seen MUS with the DVD.. that said it sucks if it's not your style.. I think there are just too many types of people and too many choices.. period..lol
June 1st, 2010, 01:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've been looking at Spalding based Reading/Spelling curriculum and I love a lot of aspects of Phonics Road to Spelling and Reading. I love that it has songs to help you remember spelling and grammar rules. I love that it's Spalding based. I love that the readers don't have pictures (which children can use to guess what the words say)--instead the student is supposed to illustrate the story (which also shows how well they comprehend the story). I like that it's a complete LA curriculum (reading, handwriting, composition, spelling, literature, vocabulary, and grammar). But there isn't really a teacher's manual--you have to watch the DVDs. Because it's both a complete LA and has DVDs, it's really expensive. I don't like the price and I don't like the lack of written teacher's manual.

MUS is another one. It would be so much cheaper if it didn't have the DVDs! It looks great for math-phobic parents or parents who learn well from DVDs, but I'm neither, so it would be a waste of money for me.

There have been a few other ones I've come across that I don't even remember because they are primarily DVD based and I didn't look closer at them because of that.
June 1st, 2010, 01:20 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
The "___ for Children" foreign language program is also that way, BUT at LEAST they made it so that you can either teach it w/o the DVD if you already know the language, OR you can watch the DVD at the same time as your child.

I agree... the others are super annoying.
June 1st, 2010, 04:56 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
For us when we used MUS I used the DVD as the kids teacher.. they watched it..not me.. Declan thrived on that..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search