High School

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 2nd, 2010, 07:22 AM
Veteran
Good Morning Mommas

My oldest son announced last night that he wants to be home schooled as well. I'm a little nervous as high school (9th grade and up) is not an area I've home schooled before. For those of you that have or are homeschooling their high schooler now, what kind of curriculum have/do you use? I like the Abeka program for the younger kiddos, but again, I don't know anything about it for high school. We had Lifepacs (only used unit 1 before he decided he was bored) and they were just too boring and dry for him. I would like something that is more along the lines of an independant learning style and preferably text book as this is something he is used to because of Public School.

Also, how do I calm my nerves! lol
Baby Emma born 11/11/10 and Baby Bean Due 10/02/11
June 2nd, 2010, 09:39 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I don't have a high schooler, and I haven't homeschooled one. Take what I say with that in mind.

Abeka is what "everyone" at my church uses... even the kids who attend the homeschool academy use it. It's great for high schoolers if that's what you want to use. No worries there other than the usual... is Abeka really the best for your family, or would you be better off with something else? Everyone, no matter what grade, has to answer that question for themselves.

There are independent study curricula out there. Some are more independent than others, of course. Some that have been used successfully by others are SOS, LifePacs, Christian Light, Life of Fred, and Apologia (although I don't know the grade range for all of those... I think they all extend into high school). Here's another one that was specifically designed for independent use (father whose wife died, but he wanted to carry on homeschooling w/o her). Homeschool Curriculum Excellence - Robinson Self-Teaching Homeschool Curriculum
June 2nd, 2010, 09:45 AM
Super Mommy
I haven't taught a high-schooler yet but if he learns through text books you may want to look through this list because it's supposed to prepare people for clep. I really like sonlight for older kids.
June 2nd, 2010, 12:00 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
alpha omega has Switched on Schoolhouse which is online or computer software. I would check it out!

June 3rd, 2010, 06:28 AM
Veteran
Thanks Mommas! We live in such a strict state I want to make sure we're ok and not going to get into any trouble. I especially want him to be able to graduate under the diploma program our state offers!

Again thanks and have a great day!
Baby Emma born 11/11/10 and Baby Bean Due 10/02/11
June 3rd, 2010, 08:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
For highschool my parents and I opted for the CLASS program through Christian Liberty Academy. THey use a lot of the ABeka materials, but some of their own and draw from other places as well, and are EXCELLENT.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search