Curious...do you think it's important to teach Mythology?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 2nd, 2010, 09:43 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I learned a little bit about Greek/Roman mythology in my AP English class in high school. It was fun, but it was mostly meaningless to me. The other classes didn't even teach it. Do you think it's important for homeschoolers? Would you teach it as its own subject, as part of literature, part of religious history, or what? What grade(s) would you feel are best for mythology?
June 2nd, 2010, 10:45 AM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
I find it fascinating and so I wouldnt be opposed to teaching it as part of a history class(because to many it is their history...kwim?).

You could also classify it as a religious study course since many believe all religions are based off myths/stories.

I think, age-wise, 10 and up unless they show an interest in it earlier.

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
June 2nd, 2010, 10:48 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I think it is an important part of history/literature as well. We will review it but not until they are upper elementary or possibly middle school.
June 2nd, 2010, 11:32 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
We've touched on it a TINY bit already (because of things like the Hercules movie or astronomy constellation names). Mythology is everywhere. I don't plan to actually "teach" it until high school, though. I'll probably have the kids read several of the stories just because they're fun, but we'll also talk a little about the history as it ties into the Mystery of History curriculum.
June 2nd, 2010, 11:58 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
I don't know an age, but we do plan on teaching it. In fact, we were just talking about it last week. DH finds it fascinating and I've always wanted to know more about it.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
June 2nd, 2010, 03:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think we'll probably look at it a little every year. There are things all around us that spring from mythology, and I would like to put it in a Christian perspective for our children before they get the chance to learn something different...
June 2nd, 2010, 04:57 PM
Super Mommy
We've done mythology, fables, folklore, and fairy tales for the first 2+ years. It really helps him with the whys of life. We use it as religion history, Social studies, and language arts.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search