Does DH teach at all?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 2nd, 2010, 12:14 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Do both you and DH teach or is it just one of you that does all the teaching? If you both teach how do you work that out? If it's just one of you you teaching, how involved is the non-teaching parent?

DH wants us to both teach. He want to teach two days and me to teach three days. He's thinking of maybe doing a block-like schedule. That way each parent teaches their strong points. (i.e I teach geography, he teaches mythology. There obviously will be more to it than that but those are the weak points coming to mind.) My biggest concern about this is when they are younger. Shouldn't math and language arts be daily for best retention?

He also wants to do all planning together with at least one weekend a year (when planning the next year's stuff) where the kids are with one of our parents.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
June 2nd, 2010, 01:00 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Yes, most people tend to do the basics everyday (or at least 4 days) and then in the younger years, they'll either do extra subjects once or twice a week, or they'll do an integrated curriculum where you teach all subjects at the same time (like unit studies).

Mine's not teaching right now. He "could", but he's never home. He works way more than full time (which is annoying, because he's salary... no overtime for management level ... we don't see him much). In the future, he'll probably help with some things, but for now, I'm doing everything. He has very little input.
June 2nd, 2010, 03:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
DH doesn't have any interest in being 'in charge' in any way, but he's willing to teach if/when needed. I get final say in all curriculum and methods used, as well as number of days per week we *officially* school. I figure I'll make use of his interests which happen to be science/physics/computers, and make him also learn to be good at carpentry, lol. He'll also teach all our kids about car repair/maintenance and a bunch of other stuff. He's just not really academically inclined... I've threatened to make him teach grammar though, so his grammar might improve...
June 2nd, 2010, 05:05 PM
Super Mommy
My husband does SS, and grammar. he does 5 co-op classes. Both DS and I take spelling together DH teaches.
I do Math, and seat work
We do science, reading, and field trips together
Lil Miguel and I do curriculum planing together and get it approved by DH.
June 2nd, 2010, 06:04 PM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
Just me. However, DH helps by doing science experiments with my oldest LOL.

Science isnt my forte so he helps explain things occasionally(outside classroom time)and will do the experiments from a science kit we bought Connor.

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
June 2nd, 2010, 07:29 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
I teach 99% of the time. Dh does help with science experiments,etc. He will in the future be teaching shop, carpentry, and car repair.

June 2nd, 2010, 07:59 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Hubby teaches a bible lesson every week that goes into more detail that I do during the week (my husband is a priest). He also reads at least one book a day to the kids. If I am ever super tired or having a bad day/having a personality clash with my daughter, sometimes he picks up whatever we have scheduled to work on and helps keep us on track.

He does help a lot with curriculum and lesson plans even though he does not have very much time to help me teach.

June 3rd, 2010, 04:05 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
nope and odds are he will never... it's not something he is good at.

I'm sure when they get older , especially Taejan because he has an interest, they will do carpentry and shop and car stuff together ( my dh is a precision mold maker and an ex mechanic) but I don't consider that more than just father/son activities..

he has no desire to have any input in what, how and when I teach..he just trusts they are learning and such . Plus he works 60+ hrs a week at one job and 5 nights a week at another..he's not home that much.,
June 3rd, 2010, 08:59 AM
*Mrs.T*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *Mrs.T*
If I do get to HS I don't think DH would ever teach. IDK why, just don't think he would lo
June 3rd, 2010, 03:37 PM
mom2mande's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Since having Elijah dh has taken over science. All the kids do the same science so it's not hard for him to teach it. He plans on doing science indefinitely. Just having him do that one subject is a huge help for me.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search