Social

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 4th, 2010, 08:20 PM
sammyjo83's Avatar Super Mommy
I have mentioned homeschooling to few people and many, many people say they won't do it because they're afraid their child(ren) won't be socialized enough. Do you find this at all to be true? I honestly think that if you actively get your children into social situations, they'll be fine. I have no intention of never taking my kids out. I plan on letting them do sports and joining a homeschool group, etc. What are your experiences?

Make a pregnancy ticker
June 4th, 2010, 08:52 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
What do I think? People who throw socialization in your face have no idea what they're talking about. They're feeding you lines that have been fed to them.

Of course, you can't actually SAY that to someone. That's not nice.

Seriously, though ... there really ARE homeschoolers out there who live in a closet and have no idea how to function in society. They're the most noticable because they're weird. It's as bad as someone saying that "all" people of a particular religion are bad because a handful are extremists. That's not true at all. In most cases, you'd have no idea a particular child is of a particular religion OR that they're homeschooled. They blend in because socialization isn't an issue. In fact, I dare say that homeschooled children are MORE SOCIALIZED than PS children. They're taught how to behave around all situations, all ages/types of people, and have opportunities to be placed in situations that PS kids aren't, because they're too busy with school. They're in a classroom full of age peers all day long, and then have after school opportunities to be with the general population. HS kids are with the general population all the time.

Sorry for the ramble. "Socialization" gets on my nerves because I hear it from dh's family in subtle forms. I usually squash it before the conversation gets heated, otherwise I'll change the subject or walk away. There are some people who'll never be convinced by words. They have to be convinced by results. Convince them!

Here's an article I always point people to. I love it. No Thank You, We Don't Believe in Socialization (SAHERO)
June 4th, 2010, 09:10 PM
sammyjo83's Avatar Super Mommy
Thank you! It's sooooo good to hear someone else say what I think too on this topic! I brought it up in a PR board that I'm on and about 90% of them brought up the socializing issue. I just like to hear things from the horse's mouth and not hearsay.

Make a pregnancy ticker
June 5th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
I think socialization is important but not as important as others make it out to be.

As was said, its an overused phrase when people have nothing else to get critical about with homeschooling.

My children and I are not outgoing people and I dont feel the need to be so nor do they. We go to the parks and stores and when we have money again they'll be put into activities of their liking.

To many it may not be "enough" socialization but my kids do fine with interacting around others. They are friendly and chatting and excited and use manners and thats what is most important to me when it comes to them being around others.

I think homeschoolers should just do what feels right in all situations. I also think people label homeschoolers weird or odd simply for being homeschoolers. They may not be overly social but that doesnt necessarily happen cuz they were homeschooled.

Im not super social and I went to public school and college,etc LOL.

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
June 5th, 2010, 10:21 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranth361 View Post
Im not super social and I went to public school and college,etc LOL.
June 5th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
That article is awesome!!!!
I honestly, never thought about those things when I was in school or after I was out but its all true. We dont really do much socialization in school like you find yourself doing in "real" life.

Thx for sharing that.

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
June 5th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Super Mommy
I feel he gets more then enough interaction with kids but it's harder then most for him.
Despite what type of education my son revised he'd have difficulty with understanding social situations. I think homeschooling helps him have less difficulties (thought today was a major set back) because we're around him more often we are able to pull him aside and whisper advice or explain what is going on to help the current situation. He does not have to worry about getting teased, though honestly I don't think he'd realize. He automatically has something in common with the kids whether it's soccer, karate, art, music, bowling, residence or homeschooling so it gives him a jumping off conversation.
June 5th, 2010, 07:03 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
My oldest is so shy and reserved, she really struggled with the whole socialization thing at school! Kids picked on her and it just made her whole experience horrible. Now that she is home, she is still shy and reserved when around others, so I am sure that she fits the bill for what people think of how homeschoolers are, but she is not like that because we home school, that is just her. My son is also a bit more reserved and shy, but not like Whit. I think a lot of hers was actually worsened because of the teachers and kids at school.
They are not there to socialize, they are there to learn, or at least that is what they say anyway when you are talking in class.
June 6th, 2010, 01:06 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Agreeing with Crystal.. it's overused and usually only comes up when people are clueless.

Anyone who knows me never asks about socialization.. we are VERY social people and my kids are all outgoing except my daughter. We've had people who have known them at the dojo or dance studio since they were super young or in the case of the dance studio since birth who have no idea they are homeschooled..usually when they find out they are shocked. I prefer this..because really..It doesnt matter how they are educated ( to those outside my immediate family) .

We know a few homeschooler's who are "those kind"..kids are not social, parents are awkward..but then again I know a lot more PS'd kids/families like that ( my own sister and her kids included). We just went to the neighborhood school's fun fair and my kids took off with their friends and had a blast and they don't even go to the school.. and many kids they went there had very obvious social interaction issues.

It's always amusing to me when people say homeschooler's are weird , they seem to fail to see that there are odd ducks everywhere..PS,private school, workplaces etc...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search