new to homeschooling, have ?'s :)

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 6th, 2010, 04:59 PM
gypsystar's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey girls!

I'm new to homeschooling and this board. Well I'm not new to JM but I haven't been super active in the past. I was so excited to see there was an active homeschooling board here though !

I just decided to home school my soon-to-be 6 year old, Tristan (he turns 6 July 7th!). He had two years in preschool and 1 year of kindergarten but he has always struggled with school. He has an IEP in place and had a full time aide to help him with his work at school. However, Tristan is a rambunctious child and can be aggressive with other kids sometimes so I honestly believe she was there to keep him from disrupting the other kids more than doing his school work. It's been suggested more than once by several different school officials that Tristan needs to be medicated.

Tristan is eager to learn and thrives on attention, especially from me or his dad, so I know he is going to love homeschooling. School has only been out for a week and he's begging to do stuff at home everyday. I picked up some flashcards and cheap workbooks at the store and he just loves it! I can hardly get him to stop sometimes. He's really behind though. He was promoted to 1st grade so if he went back to public school in the fall that is where he would be but he struggles with a lot of the basics though. He can identify most of his letters though not all. He doesn't know what sounds most letters make. When he counts he nearly always skips the number 6 even though he seems to know the number. He can only count up to 14, he doesn't know 15, 16 or 17 and he can't identify 15-20 on sight. His handwriting is really not that great but he is participating a summer handwriting program through the OT department at the hospital hopefully that will get started in the next week or two.

I'm having a terrible time trying to figure out what curriculum and grade to go with. My gut kind of says to go with kindergarten stuff since he's still struggling with a lot of things but I don't want to make boring or needlessly easy either. It's very tempting to go with an all in one curriculum but I haven't found anything that seems just right yet either. We don't have unlimited resources so we can't really afford to change in the middle if I pick the wrong thing. The one I've liked the most so far is My Father's World but I'm not 100% sure.

If I don't go with an all in one I'm not quite sure exactly what I need. My state law (Kentucky) says I have to teach reading, writing, spelling, grammar, history, mathematics and civics. (No mention of science which I think is a weird thing to leave off the list but we will definitely be teaching science anyway.) Would I need to purchase curriculum for each of those subjects or does some of it overlap?

I'll apologize now the millions questions I'm sure I'm going to have to ask over the next couple of months LOL!

Forever Missing Katriel Star (17 weeks) and Sebastian Judah (14 weeks)

June 6th, 2010, 05:16 PM
sammyjo83's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi! Welcome to the board. I, too, am brand new to homeschooling and this board and I have been asking a ton of questions too. My son just turned 6 on the 3rd. It's nice to meet you and I hope you get the answers you are looking for!

Make a pregnancy ticker
June 6th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
HI, Im Hillarie. I have 3 boys...Connor is 6(turned 6 in March), Avery is 4, and Devinn is 2.

Last year for Connors Kindergarten I did a bunch of workbooks and maps and such that I found on Amazon and free things offline. I didnt do one particular curriculum(couldnt afford them, still cant).

This coming year Im going to use Lesson Pathways: Building Paths for Online Learning, I like how thorough they seem to be and have a place for me to put what I want him to learn and I can pick between any of the grade levels. This leaves me open to use Kindergarten things if he still is at that level in some subjects and Grade 1 for those things he is good with or go to an even higher grade if he is ready. It gives list of items needed for experiments and other things. I just really liked the look and I can use all their suggestions or some to do my lesson plan.

Good Luck and ask away! Im still pretty new myself but this group has been great with helping answer questions.

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
June 6th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Super Mommy
Welcome ! I'm lisa I homeschool my soon to be 8yr. old son Miguel. It just depends on how you want to do things really. A lot of us don't use boxed curriculum because our kids are at several different levels in each subject but curriculum have placement tests to help choose with what level he's at. Math, science spelling and grammar is writing for us. Reading is in Science and Social studies for us.

I would look at Leapfrog DVD's, starfall, good books to read together at the library, Explode the code. All of those things are free - low cost and good to learn reading.

A lot of people like handwriting without tears it may be what he'll use at OT. We used pentime because it was cheap and I didn't like HWT.

I like singapore math but I only get the workbooks. Here's a list of home-school groups in KY if you live close to the state borders make sure you check there too. If you live in the NE tri-state area I can help you get more resources.
June 6th, 2010, 07:20 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguels mommy View Post
A lot of us don't use boxed curriculum because our kids are at several different levels in each subject ...

I would look at Leapfrog DVD's, starfall, good books to read together at the library, Explode the code. All of those things are free - low cost and good to learn reading.

A lot of people like handwriting without tears it may be what he'll use at OT. We used pentime because it was cheap and I didn't like HWT.
, and .

I'm Chrystal, one of the hosts here. I've got one doing 2nd and one doing preschool for the upcoming year. I'll have to take a closer look at the specifics for KY, but most of the time it's fine to overlap subjects. Heck, most of the time the officials don't even check in to see what you're doing.

My son is in OT, and they use HWT for writing. We love it. All you need is the workbooks. Don't waste money on the teacher book, chalkboard, etc. if money's tight. It's really not necessary, because the workbooks do a great job of explaining how to form the letters. I don't like the style of HWT's cursive, but we're just using it for print, so it doesn't matter. When we go back to cursive again, we'll use Abeka again (Abeka starts with cursive right from the get-go.)

MFW is a good curriculum if that's how you want to go. I recommend Apologia Young Explorers for science. You can find used books for around $25. I prefer to do one per semester (lesson per week), but some people prefer to spend 2-3 weeks on a lesson and use only one book per year. Astronomy is the easiest, and it's designed to be used first, although it really doesn't matter which order you do them in.

I would start with K if there's any doubt in your mind at all. You can always supplement with cheap or free materials, but if you buy 1st and it's over his head, you're going to frustrate him. You'll have to start all over finding what you need, and when you finally make it up to 1st, he'll remember hating the stuff you bought the first time. He may or may not like it.
June 7th, 2010, 06:01 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
HI! Welcome to the HS board!! Where are you at in KY? I am just over the river from you I don't use a boxed curriculum either, a mix and match of a variety of things. Are you looking for a secular or non-secular curriculum?
June 7th, 2010, 07:59 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Hi! I don't have any curriculum suggestions as we do not use any yet, but wanted to say welcome. These ladies will be super helpful! The only bit of advice I have is if he has been having a hard time at school, it might be beneficial to start in K and help build his confidence. You can work at his pace and you don't have to bore him. Homeschooling is awesome, because you can now finally meet his needs!

June 7th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Thanks so much for your welcomes and input!

We aren't really religious but I'm not opposed to choosing a Christian based curriculum. I feel like God has been working in my life leading me to this decision to home school so I almost feel like I should choose a Christian curriculum.

I'm pretty sure we are going to go with kindergarten curriculum. I think it will be the best for him and if he works through it too quickly then we'll just move onto the 1st grade stuff.

We live in Livingston, Ky. It's about an hour south of Lexington. The area we live in is fairly rural. I haven't found any local homeschool groups near us yet. I've considered trying to put some feelers out and see if there are any locals hs'ers who might want to put together a group (I don't want to be in charge of anything though LOL, I'm too new at this!) If I can't find any locals I'll pick the closest group I can find, I just have to figure out which one that is .

June 7th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Super Mommy
PATCH Home School Support Group in livingston
June 8th, 2010, 06:28 AM
That is actually Livingston County which is pretty far away from us and in western Ky. We live in the town of Livingston which is in Rockcastle County. Thank you so much for trying to help though ! I really appreciate your help !

I've looked through the link you shared with me earlier again and I found a group in Laurel County which is our closest bordering county. It appears the area they serve is more to the west of us but I contacted them anyway since they are definitely the closest I've found so far .

June 11th, 2010, 03:31 PM
KeriMomof2's Avatar Veteran
Have you considered a online program ? The one we use for our kids "Time4Learning" is offering a Summer Special 1st month , $5 !!!!
We have been using it now for over 2 yrs..for our kids DD(8yrs) and DS (3yrs) & have been very Happy with it
*Keri*I am a Co-sleeping ...Retired-EBF'er "8+years total"...No-circumcision... Non-Vaxing...Home-schooling/Road-schooling ~> College Student Momma, Who loves Blogging<~click to View O' and did I mention I am now a Avon Sales Rep ? www.youravon.com/Keri

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search