frustrated

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 7th, 2010, 11:14 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Anthony is prone to hour long melt downs over NOTHING. You can look at him funny and he'll cry about it for hours. Twice now he's had a complete meltdown over a simple assignment, one that he's done in the past without issue. Today the meltdown lasted 4 hours and pretty much wiped me out. He did the assignment but now I don't really have time today set aside for the rest of his school work - he kind of ate that up with his meltdown. What do you guys do when a child absolutely refuses to do the work? I want to keep him prepped for PS because there is always a possibility he will return.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
June 7th, 2010, 12:00 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
(((HUGS))) I have SO been there with Whit many many many times. There has been more than 1 time that I have told her that she either controls herself and does what she needs to do here or the only other option for her is to go to PS. The thought of going to PS puts her in total heart failure, so I don't understand either why she does that.
Once she calmed down, we worked on figuring out why the frustration to begin with. There usually is some sort of underlying issue, not always though. When you can see it coming on, try to redirect him if possible. Consequences for the bad behavior and reward the good. Depending on how much time she spent on her tantrum, we either have to make it up that day or she makes it up the next day and is reminded why she is having to do extra work when she begins to complain.
June 7th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Super Mommy
Miguel has meltdowns too but he gets destructive.Try to keep a list of time activity and what set him off. you may start to see a patern A lot of times we try to backtrack if we see it heading that way with a bath, read for the day or art. We do a lot of your having a bad day so lets take a nap and start again (kinda like a reset button) he likes that he can reset the day. Classical music in the background helps a lot. Remember you have double the time to do everything days wise. look at combining as may subjects as you can into short 5-10 min.lessons so he's learning despite himself. Explain why in life this is needed this which may involve calling your local literacy / math program and asking if he could come in to talk to struggling adults about the importations of those subjects. If he's better w/o a lot of work just do English and math and the DORA and DOMA to test his grade level compared to your state levels or take the terra nova test which tests all subjects. Try regulating bed time more for decompression time for you.
June 7th, 2010, 12:49 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I haven't dealt with a whole lot of meltdowns, but we've had some. For us, there's only been 3 reasons... (1) something easy to fix like needing a nap or a snack (2) either sick or coming down with something (3) there's an underlying issue with the assignment itself, which means either I'm teaching it wrong, or I'm asking him to do it in a way that doesn't make sense to his learning style.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search