Homeschooling in Arkansas

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 8th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Dh is putting in for a new job in AR and I am not real sure about the higher requirements there. What am I getting myself into exactly. I have looked on HSLDA and am a little unsure about the reporting and testing.

It says :

Compulsory Attendance Ages:

“5 through 17 on or before September 15 of that year.” Arkansas Statutes Annotated. There is an option for a kindergarten waiver “if the child will not be age six (6) on September 15 of that particular school year”—parents must use a form provided by the state. For the 2009-10 school year, the September 15 dates will change to September 1. For the 2010-11 school year, the dates will be August 15. For the 2011-12 school year and afterwards, the dates will be August 1.

According to the bolded part This year I would have to report my oldest (she'll be 6 and in 1st grade) and next year I would still only have to report my oldest even though my youngest will be 5 on Aug.9th and starting 1st grade most likely. (she is going to be 4 this year and she is starting K work.) So in the 2012-2013 year I would have to start reporting her but do I report her as a K'er or a 2nd grader (which she would most likely be). They require testing there from 3rd grade through 9th grade. So do I report as what grade she would be if she started school there under their age requirements or do I report her under what grade she is actually in?

I know it would be easier for us testing wise to put her at their level but then she'd be 2 grade levels higher than what the state would have her, here in OK she'd be starting K in the 2011-2012 school year because their age cutoff is Aug.15th. So here in OK she'd only be one year ahead.

What would you do in my shoes?
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

June 8th, 2010, 11:19 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
If we ever move to a state that requires testing, I'll put my boys at their age appropriate level or possibly one year higher. I wouldn't go any higher than that because (1) if you ever want to do competitions, they sometimes require proof that you've never represented your child at a higher level and (2) if your child is ever tested on something you didn't cover (because all curricula is different) or is, for example, asked for a writing sample, they'll expect everything to be on the level you've stated. I know for a fact Ben can't write on the same level he can read. I'd never hold him to that standard, so why should a state?

It's best for your child to look like the top dog than to look like she's being pushed into a grade she isn't ready for. You can teach whatever you want at home, but for reporting purposes, state the grade she'd be in if she were in PS.

I spent 20-something years in AR. I'll never go back. I'm a concrete and lights kinda gal... not a lakes and forests type.
June 8th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah that is what I was thinking too. Oh and we are lakes and forests kind of people so it should work out for us.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

June 8th, 2010, 03:45 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Sounds like my kind of place LOL!! Moving to the city has been a HUGE adjustment for us! Sarah stood at the front door last week with her mouth open watching intently as the trash man pick up the trash in his truck LOL!! Things you just don't see out in the rural areas amazes them!
June 8th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Super Mommy
Miguel was put a grade ahead and even though he's farther ahead then that. Now we're holding him back for a year because with his size, his manner of speaking, and grade people expect way more than he can give them (he's immature) so I'd rather him be "with" his age group or younger so he can attempt to live up to it expectations. When he was younger it wasn't so apparent he was only a little behind but now he's eight just starting to interact with one child at a time instead of side by side play that he was still doing at 5.
June 8th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Okay so after all the trying to figure things out dh decided not to put in for that job so it looks like I won't be going to AR. But thanks for the advice. I am sure we will be moving in the next couple of years because DH is getting itchy feet and really has the urge to move.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

June 8th, 2010, 08:21 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
LOL! I know the feeling. Thankfully mine scratched his itch by moving us about 10 minutes away from the old house.
June 9th, 2010, 03:58 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Here in Mass we don't report a grade..they assign based on birthday..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search