Log In Sign Up

Am I doing something wrong??


Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
June 9th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Mama To 3 Amazing Boys
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Just the other side of sane!
Posts: 7,153
We've been slacking on homeschooling because Edward doesn't want to learn. That's what he said. We were doing a workbook page where there are 4 rows of words, and in each row, there is a word, another word and then a word that matches the first (i.e. run : let : run) and he had to circle the word that matched the first word. So he did that. And perfectly all by himself. So, we went over the words, sounding out each letter and then putting all the sounds together. He asked to do this, so we did. And by the end of the "lesson" he could read all the words on the page. The next day, he could still read the words. The third day, he "couldn't" read the words....he just told me he didn't know what words they were, then he just started throwing out words. Not putting any effort into sounding out the letters and putting the sounds together. I said to him, "You wanted me to show you how to read. This is how we read. You sound out the letters and then put them together." He says "I can't do it! I'm dumb!" And I replied "Edward, you are not dumb, I know you can do this, because you have! And I don't want to hear you say these not so nice things about yourself because they are NOT true! You are very smart." So he just stared at me, so I said "Okay, let's focus, and try this again." I would point to a letter and ask him to say the letter and then the sound the letter makes. He would say the letter and tell me he didn't know what sound it made...or he's just say a sound of another letter. So finally, I asked him why he was having such a hard time with this and he said he doesn't want to learn. I asked him if he wanted to go to school like other kids and he said "No, I don't want to go to school at all." And I told him, "This is not an option. You have to go to school. You want to learn how to read right?" And he agreed that yes, he wants to read. So I told him that he had to do some schooling. And he said he doesn't want to read now. I don't know what to do. It's like he doesn't even try! He just sits there and stares at me and frowns like he's in trouble. Am I doing something wrong? I've tried the Starfall website, and for a while, he liked it...but now he doesn't want to do it! Should I just send him to public school and hope he does well or should I keep my persistance with homeschooling....I feel like this won't work and I don't know what to do!
__________________
~Brandi~
Wife to Chris (9.17.04)-Mama to Edward (7.15.05)-Preston (5.28.08)-Mason (11.4.10)-
Baby #4 - Went to Heaven on 1.20.14
Proud Christian, Jesus Loving,Extended Breastfeeding, Co-sleeping, Babywearing, Cloth Diapering, Non-Vaxing, Homeschooling Mama!
I choose to Homeschool so I can give my children a Godly foundation, So they know His word and His truths!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
June 9th, 2010, 06:10 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Lonestar State
Posts: 50,214
I don't know. It could be that he hates the repetition and wants to move faster, or it could be that someone else said something negative, and he doesn't want to talk about it?

Last edited by BensMom; June 9th, 2010 at 08:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
June 9th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Mom 2 Alayna N Hayden's Avatar Texan In Seattle
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East of Seattle
Posts: 6,876
Sounds just like my DD. As soon as she hits a stump, she gives up, and wants nothing more to do with it. She starts throwing out random words or just flat out refuses. I do the same thing as you, encouraging, waiting for later, etc, but eventually it happens again. She's getting better, though. I took her to my family's Home School supply store and let her pick out a few "learn to read" books and it's helped. She also heard that her friends are learning how to read, so that's motivating her some too. I think the key is finding a way that is FUN for them, and not settling into the boring routine of sitting at the table with a paper or book. I am going to make bold lettered word-signs to place around the house to make things interesting. Maybe make some sort of game out of it, and switch out the words every week.
__________________

Siggy by RASPBERRYBERET!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
June 10th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Sandra314's Avatar Homeschooling Mom
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 893
Send a message via Yahoo to Sandra314
My youngest is age 4 and sometimes reacts the same way. I agree that some children get easily bored with repetition, I know mine do. To remedy the situation, I made some changes to our subjects to make it more fun.

Here's how we cover PHONICS throughout the week :

On Monday, we read "my ___ sound box" by and go on a letter hunt and search for items in the home that begin with our letter of the week. We make a letter collage of clip art that I printed for my youngest son to glue on his letter collage page. We play a BINGO game on letter sounds (which I use as a review to see if my son can recognize previous letter sounds we have done, along with our new letter sound).

On Tuesday, we use our Get Ready for the Code book on the letter we are covering that week and introduce the vocabulary. We use our letter tiles to form the words of from our vocabulary. I use sentence strips and write the words on them so the boys can form the words. It has helped my youngest son with retention on learning these new words. We use our letter tiles again throughout to reinforce learning.

On Wednesday we continue with lessons from ETC: get Ready for the Code. Later, we use our sentence strips of our new words for the week and play a matching game of word to picture cards that I made with clip art. We read a book on a letter sound/ We like to read the Wonder books series from our library.

On Thursday, We continue with our lessons from ETC: Get Ready for the Code. We use our pocket chart to read together simple sentences using our vocabulary words. We use an old fly swatter as a pointer to focus on sounding out each word. We play a food game to learn about foods that begin with the letter of the week.

We use Friday for catch up and/or review and as a treat, we made a meal and snacks with some of the foods we learned about on Thursday.

I try to make changes in the games each week to make it both fun and educational, so far it works.
__________________
Sandra. Wife to Timothy and Homeschool mom to Michael and Matthew


Married for 14+ years to the love of my life. Currently TTCing.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
June 10th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,365
I have a DD just like Edward, she is a perfectionist and if she can't get it right easily than a melt down happens or she just starts guessing. Have you tried working with him on stuff that he already knows just to boost his confidence? I know that helps with my girl. I also have had her show her sisters their letters and help them with letter sounds and it gives her a lot of confidence to be able to "teach" her sisters.
__________________
Momma to :
E-10.5yrs 11/03
S-7.75yrs 8/06
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!



Reply With Quote
  #6  
June 10th, 2010, 03:53 PM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,671
Is he just being stubborn in this particular area? If that's the case, I think I'd back off on anything formal in the way of phonics/reading right now and revisit it in a few months. In the meantime, I'd focus on other areas and still touch on phonics/reading by playing games, pointing out rules of phonics in the books you read together and things you come across in your day-to-day life, etc.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #7  
June 10th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Mama To 3 Amazing Boys
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Just the other side of sane!
Posts: 7,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmAnDaMo View Post
Is he just being stubborn in this particular area? If that's the case, I think I'd back off on anything formal in the way of phonics/reading right now and revisit it in a few months. In the meantime, I'd focus on other areas and still touch on phonics/reading by playing games, pointing out rules of phonics in the books you read together and things you come across in your day-to-day life, etc.
I think he might be a bit stubborn....He's a lot like me, if we don't get it right away, we get discouraged and don't want to continue. So I understand his frustration...but I just have no idea how to make it fun...I have some ideas...but not many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra314 View Post
My youngest is age 4 and sometimes reacts the same way. I agree that some children get easily bored with repetition, I know mine do. To remedy the situation, I made some changes to our subjects to make it more fun.

Here's how we cover PHONICS throughout the week :

On Monday, we read "my ___ sound box" by and go on a letter hunt and search for items in the home that begin with our letter of the week. We make a letter collage of clip art that I printed for my youngest son to glue on his letter collage page. We play a BINGO game on letter sounds (which I use as a review to see if my son can recognize previous letter sounds we have done, along with our new letter sound).

On Tuesday, we use our Get Ready for the Code book on the letter we are covering that week and introduce the vocabulary. We use our letter tiles to form the words of from our vocabulary. I use sentence strips and write the words on them so the boys can form the words. It has helped my youngest son with retention on learning these new words. We use our letter tiles again throughout to reinforce learning.

On Wednesday we continue with lessons from ETC: get Ready for the Code. Later, we use our sentence strips of our new words for the week and play a matching game of word to picture cards that I made with clip art. We read a book on a letter sound/ We like to read the Wonder books series from our library.

On Thursday, We continue with our lessons from ETC: Get Ready for the Code. We use our pocket chart to read together simple sentences using our vocabulary words. We use an old fly swatter as a pointer to focus on sounding out each word. We play a food game to learn about foods that begin with the letter of the week.

We use Friday for catch up and/or review and as a treat, we made a meal and snacks with some of the foods we learned about on Thursday.

I try to make changes in the games each week to make it both fun and educational, so far it works.
This is an awesome idea...Could you elaborate on some of the games that you put together? Because I know he'll respond better to this!!
__________________
~Brandi~
Wife to Chris (9.17.04)-Mama to Edward (7.15.05)-Preston (5.28.08)-Mason (11.4.10)-
Baby #4 - Went to Heaven on 1.20.14
Proud Christian, Jesus Loving,Extended Breastfeeding, Co-sleeping, Babywearing, Cloth Diapering, Non-Vaxing, Homeschooling Mama!
I choose to Homeschool so I can give my children a Godly foundation, So they know His word and His truths!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
June 11th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Sandra314's Avatar Homeschooling Mom
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 893
Send a message via Yahoo to Sandra314
For games, I make file folder games for Phonics as well as Math. I started at first using Homeschool Share and File Folder Fun but now I like creating my own.

We play a game called Stair Phonics that we got the idea from Confessions of a Homeschooler. Here is the link for it and more of her great ideas for phonics games:
Confessions of a Homeschooler: phonics games

She also makes wonderful printables for learning letters and numbers. We have downloaded a number of her printables as well. Her blog is Confessions of a Homeschooler. She has as navigation bar where you'll find ABC's & 123's and Printables.
http://confessionsofahomeschooler.blogspot.com/


We are trying these Short Vowel word games that I downloaded from a wordpress blog.
Short Vowel Phonics Board Games

My favorite blogger At Homeschool Creations has her own website with great printables for preschool. Here is the link below, just scroll down the page to see the links to them.
Preschool Printables
__________________
Sandra. Wife to Timothy and Homeschool mom to Michael and Matthew


Married for 14+ years to the love of my life. Currently TTCing.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
June 11th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 784
You could put in a reading time where he sits on your lap while you read out loud to him. If you use your finger to follow the words he's more likely to pays attention to the words at least Miguel was. Have him start reading the a's in the book then slowly let him pick another word to add to it until he's reading most of the basic words and he has just proved to himself that reading is easy.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
June 11th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Mom 2 Alayna N Hayden's Avatar Texan In Seattle
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East of Seattle
Posts: 6,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra314 View Post
For games, I make file folder games for Phonics as well as Math. I started at first using Homeschool Share and File Folder Fun but now I like creating my own.

We play a game called Stair Phonics that we got the idea from Confessions of a Homeschooler. Here is the link for it and more of her great ideas for phonics games:
Confessions of a Homeschooler: phonics games

She also makes wonderful printables for learning letters and numbers. We have downloaded a number of her printables as well. Her blog is Confessions of a Homeschooler. She has as navigation bar where you'll find ABC's & 123's and Printables.
http://confessionsofahomeschooler.blogspot.com/


We are trying these Short Vowel word games that I downloaded from a wordpress blog.
Short Vowel Phonics Board Games

My favorite blogger At Homeschool Creations has her own website with great printables for preschool. Here is the link below, just scroll down the page to see the links to them.
Preschool Printables
You have given me some great ideas!
__________________

Siggy by RASPBERRYBERET!!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
June 11th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Mama To 3 Amazing Boys
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Just the other side of sane!
Posts: 7,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra314 View Post
For games, I make file folder games for Phonics as well as Math. I started at first using Homeschool Share and File Folder Fun but now I like creating my own.

We play a game called Stair Phonics that we got the idea from Confessions of a Homeschooler. Here is the link for it and more of her great ideas for phonics games:
Confessions of a Homeschooler: phonics games

She also makes wonderful printables for learning letters and numbers. We have downloaded a number of her printables as well. Her blog is Confessions of a Homeschooler. She has as navigation bar where you'll find ABC's & 123's and Printables.
http://confessionsofahomeschooler.blogspot.com/


We are trying these Short Vowel word games that I downloaded from a wordpress blog.
Short Vowel Phonics Board Games

My favorite blogger At Homeschool Creations has her own website with great printables for preschool. Here is the link below, just scroll down the page to see the links to them.
Preschool Printables
Oh, this is awesome!! Thank you so much!!! You're a lifesaver!!!
__________________
~Brandi~
Wife to Chris (9.17.04)-Mama to Edward (7.15.05)-Preston (5.28.08)-Mason (11.4.10)-
Baby #4 - Went to Heaven on 1.20.14
Proud Christian, Jesus Loving,Extended Breastfeeding, Co-sleeping, Babywearing, Cloth Diapering, Non-Vaxing, Homeschooling Mama!
I choose to Homeschool so I can give my children a Godly foundation, So they know His word and His truths!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
June 12th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Sandra314's Avatar Homeschooling Mom
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 893
Send a message via Yahoo to Sandra314
You are welcome.
__________________
Sandra. Wife to Timothy and Homeschool mom to Michael and Matthew


Married for 14+ years to the love of my life. Currently TTCing.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:10 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0