Summer Family Project

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Hello everyone. I'm wondering if you can help me. We don't homeschool, but I figured that if anyone had ideas, you girls would be the ones. This summer we are going to my Mom's house for about 7 weeks. We did the same thing last year. This is what the summer looked like:
Camping for a week
Visiting other family for 4 days
Hanging out at the house
Running errands with grandma and grandpa

Needless to say, the kids got bored. And they'll be a year older now, which means even more need by them to be entertained. Plus their good friends that lived next door have moved away. There are no other kids in the neighborhood now.

We still plan on doing some camping, and I think we'll even be taking a week to go to DisneyLand. My oldest is now in Cub Scouts, so I'll have him join the local group for the summer, and they'll all be taking swim lessons. We'll also be doing a summer reading thing for my oldest, and I'll be doing some Hooked on Phonics for my middle one. He's having to repeat Kindergarten next year, so I thought it would be good to work on that with him.Oh, and they are 8, 6, and 2, all boys. I want the summer to be somewhat structured. Not just days on end of sitting around, watching tv in their jammies all day.

I want to come up with some kind of family summer project. Something that we can work on, mostly indoors, for when we're just sitting around. But I want it to be something continuous. Not just a craft here, and art there. I want it all connected. If I had girls, it would be something like making a quilt. I thought about making a summer scrapbook, but I don't want it to be really involved, or have to need all those supplies.

So, can you help a Mom out?! Do you have any ideas?

June 18th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Nedene's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How about a digital scrapbook? Okay so i know that it's a silly response when you said you don't want something that involved but hear me out. I found a free scrapbooking software with tons of free templates and designs, and i figured out how to make an nice looking invite for my son's birthday party. for free. I'm not the craftiest person either.

Maybe a journal labeled Summer at Grandma's. So it has a theme, have every child write some in it daily.. (8yr writes 2 paragraphs, 6 one or a few sentences, and 2yr draws a picture) and have then draw a picture or leave room for photos to be glued in the book. Maybe have the older two write it on scratch paper so you can correct any spelling and grammar then have them re-write in their journal. And say if it's a trip to the zoo, they can cut out the pamphlet of the zoo and stick it in there, write about what their favorite thing was, neatest thing they saw... and others.. google journaling pages i'm sure you'll get some writing prompts for different things.. on a down or rainy day, have each of them make up a song, have one of the older ones write it in the younger one's book for them. you can even print off a journaling pages with the writing prompts on them, or make them and then have it spiral bound at kinkos, either before the trip or after. Something what in years to come they can look back at and smile.

You can even incorporate some of the younger one's studies into the journal. you said your doing hooked on phonics, and if it's like the one i have you can just copy the worksheets from the book and have some of his better work put into the journal.

This summer we are having an ant farm.. and i'm going to have the kids make observations about whats happening everyday. And if all else fails are they are getting ansy send them outside ... I've refused to turn on the tv for the past 4 days other than to watch the lorax movie after we read the book... But i understand that's harder when its not your house... Go the the local libary once a week and let them pick a book to read, they can then write about it in their journal.. are you getting where i'm going? Everything can be connected with this journal since it's titled Summer at Grandma's (or whatever you decide)..

Hope that helped a bit.

Last edited by Nedene; June 18th, 2010 at 06:27 AM.
June 18th, 2010, 06:31 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
(How did I miss this thread?! )

What about wood working? Are you able to build bird houses, tree houses, one-man boats, or anything like that? I always loved woodworking as a kid.

Same concept as a quilt... what about a gazillion piece puzzle? When you're done, you can frame it and hang it.
June 18th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Nedene's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Also a family puzzle? I remember that grandma would set up a folding table with a huge 1000 piece puzzle on it and we'd all sit at it and work on it in our free time. Or one of those working model of a ____ with those connects things or legos, Other hands on projects that can be worked on then set aside for a bit, on a table of their own.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search