Saw some curricula today.

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 15th, 2010, 07:35 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Some of the moms from my HS group got together today to look at curricula. I got to look at some I'd heard of but hadn't actually gotten my hands on... RightStart, BFIAR, FIAR, FLL, Oak Meadow, a workbook from the Critical Thinking Co., and some other stuff I'd never heard of.

I REALLY want to get the Critical Thinking Co. books now, but they're $30. Yikes. I'd thought about it in the past but wanted to see one of them first. I loved it, but it's something Ben would take to his room and zip through in a week. Not sure that's worth $30. He loves those types of books (so do I...).

I like the idea of RightStart, but it's way too different from the way I was taught. If Miquon doesn't work well for Ben, RS is next on my list, but I'd really rather not use that one. Too much work for ME.

BFIAR and FIAR look cool, but they're definitely not my cup of tea. Neither is Oak Meadow. I guess you could call me "classical eclectic" and those definitely don't fit that style. They're cool, and I can definitely see why people like them, but eh... no.

Can't wait to do this again. We'll probably do it at my house next time, and probably in Sept. I didn't realize others would be bringing stuff to this or else I would've brought mine (I thought it was only one person doing a "workshop" because that's what she called it... I would've called it "petting zoo" personally). Most of the people who showed up haven't started HSing yet and were looking for ideas. There were only a few of us who had already started. Oh well. Next time I'll know to ask her what she really means.
June 15th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Sandra314's Avatar Homeschooling Mom
Send a message via Yahoo to Sandra314
So was it basicalky an "open house" where everyone showed what curriculum they were using? If it was, I have been to one from our local homeschooling support group. I think it is a great idea to have a hands on look at the curricula and ask questions.

Married for 14+ years to the love of my life. Currently TTCing.
June 15th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Yeah, sort of. It was mostly for newbies who were loaded with questions, but it was also a curriculum looksie. When I host, I'll make sure everyone knows it's more like an open house with informal Q&A from anyone you get your hands on.
June 15th, 2010, 08:58 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
We do that twice a year in our group and we also bring anything we no longer use and leave it for anyone to take.. it's great.
June 16th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That sounds so nice! How would I find out about something like that in my area?
June 16th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Are you a member of any groups already? If so, you could just ask around. If not, where are you exactly? We can help you find groups.
June 16th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not a member of any groups, as my oldest is only 3. I'd feel silly joining a group for early preschool stuff. Do you think groups have stuff like this that visitors could go to?
June 16th, 2010, 08:48 AM
One of my groups is specifically for ages 0-5, and it's by far the most friendly. The others are very large, so it's hard to get to know anyone. You never know from week to week who will show up. There are some of us in the younger group who are already HS'ing at other levels and some who have babies but are considering HS'ing in the future.

There are informationals here (usually once a month or so) that are open to anyone. (Thinking... thinking... thinking...) I can't remember the name of the organization. I'll have to look at the library flier when we're there today. I bet it's local, but surely there's something like that in most large cities?? The library is a good place to ask around, though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search