Another Curriculum Question

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 16th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Mama To 3 Amazing Boys
Sorry for bugging you ladies with all these questions, but Edward is going to be starting Kindergarten this fall and next year I have to send my letter of intent to the state board of education and I want to be 100% prepared for this. Especially since I'll be in having another baby come November, I want to at least have enough organization for him, should I end up in another c-section and have to be in the hospital for 3 or more days.

I just received my AOP catalog. I have already asked about the Horizon's curriculum, more specifically, the Teacher's Guide. As I was looking through the catalog, I found myself leaning more towards the LIFEPAC curriculum for 1-12 Grades, but Horizon's for Preschool to Kindergarten. I don't want these to be the main sources of curriculum for the boys and the new baby when the younger two are old enough for this. Plus, they may have different learning streaks from Edward as a whole.

So my questions are the following:

Does anyone have experience with Horizon's?
Do you like the curriculum? Why or why not?
Does anyone have experience with LIFEPAC?
Did you like the curriculum? Why or why not?
What other sources of curriculum are there?
Do they have catalogues I can view as well?
Baby #4 - Went to Heaven on 1.20.14
Proud Christian, Jesus Loving,Extended Breastfeeding, Co-sleeping, Babywearing, Cloth Diapering, Non-Vaxing, Homeschooling Mama!
I choose to Homeschool so I can give my children a Godly foundation, So they know His word and His truths!
June 16th, 2010, 07:10 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Does anyone have experience with Horizon's? My experience with it is limited. It was my first choice for math until I ran into a couple of other publishers. Because I was "this" close to using it, I'm fairly well familiar with it (for math... not the other subjects).
Do you like the curriculum? Why or why not? I like it. The only concerns I'd relay to other people are that it is advanced, fast paced, and teaches from a spiral approach (meaning it touches on several points at once rather than mastering, for example, time and then moving on to money later).

Does anyone have experience with LIFEPAC? My only experience with it is seeing it in the store, looking at it, and immedately putting it back on the shelf. I hated it.
Did you like the curriculum? Why or why not? It was very dry. Very.

What other sources of curriculum are there? There are tons! There are many more out there than I've heard of, too. AOP also has SOS and Weaver, so if you're sold on AOP, look into those. For other curriculum kits that are Christian based, look at Sonlight (which will include AOP stuff), Abeka, Rod & Staff, Bob Jones University, Christian Light, and My Father's World.
Do they have catalogues I can view as well? I don't know if all of them have print catalogs (some do), but they all have online catalogs.

Last edited by BensMom; June 16th, 2010 at 09:39 PM.
June 17th, 2010, 09:02 AM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I only have experience with Lifepac math. It's dull, but it's thorough and I like the sequence. I also think there's an appropriate amount of review and I like how it shows students how to check their work.

We really like Sonlight. Their catalog is very descriptive and their forums are really helpful.

June 17th, 2010, 03:36 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
I am a Horizon user. I love the curriculum and so do my kids. I just wish the math and reading included more years... I looked at the Lifepacs at the convention. very dry and very easy in my opinion. Too easy for my kids... SOS looks interesting and have been contemplating using this one every year

christian liberty press is a company that has cheaper kits and uses several different companies. I use this company and just switch out the history and math... Their history is awful!

June 17th, 2010, 05:30 PM
mater bibit
I've had some experience with Horizons Math K. It's great if that's what you like. The TM tells you necessary stuff to teach along with what's in the workbooks but it doesn't necessarily tell you how to teach it. It will just say, "Teach *this*. Review *that*" I would personally recommend buying the TM used off Amazon. I got mine for $5 including the shipping, perfect condition. It's needful IMHO but not remotely worth what they charge for it new .. or even used in most places.

Personally, for math, I'm more inclined to the likes of Math Mammoth, MEP (free, but requires printing), Right Start and Miquon (not sure if they have a website but you can buy from all over the place). Right Start and Miquon are only for the early grades. I was interested in Singapore Math also for a while. CLE has already been mentioned, I think. You have a whole lot of options ... and that's just math.

As for a more *whole* curriculum, there is also Heart of Dakota which is Christian (they use Singapore for math but you can easily substitute your own choice). You can order their catalogue from their website. A new one I heard of recently is Moving Beyond the Page which is secular. I just got their catalogue the other day .. looks very interesting but not my style.

Last edited by mater bibit; June 17th, 2010 at 05:34 PM.
June 21st, 2010, 12:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My one experience using lifepacs was not a positive one. I would not use them again nor would I ever recommend them.

We have used Sonlight and Winter Promise and enjoyed both. For Math in the early grades, I like McRuffy Math. I like Spellwell for spelling.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
June 21st, 2010, 02:01 PM
We have used Lifepacs for my 2nd grader.

I felt that they were bright colorful, and fun...yet lacking something more concrete.
The scope and sequence is thorough, but it seemed a bit too "fluffy" for what we wanted. I dunno, maybe it was the cartoonish characters on each page, cute as they were.
I did not like the math portion (it kind of left me hanging as to how to teach the topics), nor did I like the science (not hands on enough). I gave the history and geography section away to a friend, although I think it would have been great as a supplement to a unit study on Japan or Germany, for example.
I did keep the Bible lifepacs and I use that to supplement my now third graders bible studies. Since the stories are not in any particular order (and we love chronology) we just fit them in as we study elsewhere.
June 22nd, 2010, 11:38 AM
Mama To 3 Amazing Boys
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmommato3 View Post
I am a Horizon user. I love the curriculum and so do my kids. I just wish the math and reading included more years... I looked at the Lifepacs at the convention. very dry and very easy in my opinion. Too easy for my kids... SOS looks interesting and have been contemplating using this one every year

christian liberty press is a company that has cheaper kits and uses several different companies. I use this company and just switch out the history and math... Their history is awful!

What is the highest grade you have used with Horizons?
Baby #4 - Went to Heaven on 1.20.14
Proud Christian, Jesus Loving,Extended Breastfeeding, Co-sleeping, Babywearing, Cloth Diapering, Non-Vaxing, Homeschooling Mama!
I choose to Homeschool so I can give my children a Godly foundation, So they know His word and His truths!
June 22nd, 2010, 09:08 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
I will be starting 5th grade in August..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search