Homeschooling Preschool - some questions : )

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2010, 03:56 PM
My3Boys64's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies! I am new here but not to JM. My oldest is 2 and I am thinking about homeschooling my boys. I want to get started with Preschool. I have asked a friend on mine with two girls close in age to my sons if she would consider joining me and she has agreed to try for preschool. I have worked as a preschool and dance teacher so I have some education experience. Anyone have and tips for teaching preschool? I want to get started early so there is time for me to get used to homeschooling and anyway, I want my son to be ahead, I already teach him so much at home that he already is. I have started researching but I still have alot to learn. Also, I was wondering if you can buy books used? Do you suggest that I use a seperate room? I have and office I could turn into a classroom but its not that big.

Danielle - Mama to William 02-05-08, Jackson 11-20-09 & Mason 09-08-11.
June 26th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Will my children have to take annual tests or anything to prove their progress in homeschooling? I saw nothing about that in the Virginia requirements.

June 26th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerinaMom64 View Post
Hi ladies! I am new here but not to JM. My oldest is 2 and I am thinking about homeschooling my boys. I want to get started with Preschool. I have asked a friend on mine with two girls close in age to my sons if she would consider joining me and she has agreed to try for preschool. I have worked as a preschool and dance teacher so I have some education experience. Anyone have and tips for teaching preschool? I just say have fun with it. We do a lot of learning through play and my girls loved the leapfrog videos. For my next preschooler I plan on using Horizons preschool but it is really for a pre-k type schooling. I want to get started early so there is time for me to get used to homeschooling and anyway, I want my son to be ahead, I already teach him so much at home that he already is. I have started researching but I still have alot to learn. Also, I was wondering if you can buy books used? Yes a lot of people buy used. Do you suggest that I use a seperate room? IF you have a separate room then that is always nice but it isn't necessary, a lot of people school at their kitchen table or on the living room couch. I have and office I could turn into a classroom but its not that big.
Well I don't homeschool in Virginia so I am not sure about that but here is the HSLDA website about Virginia.

HSLDA | Home School Laws
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

June 26th, 2010, 07:14 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Hi ladies! I am new here but not to JM. WELCOME! I'm Chrystal, one of the hosts here. Jump right in and join us!

My oldest is 2 and I am thinking about homeschooling my boys. We have others here who are in the thinking and/or preschool stage (self included... my youngest will be doing preschool this coming year). You'll fit right in.

I have worked as a preschool and dance teacher so I have some education experience. That's great! It'll help you brainstorm ideas. My degree is for PreK-12, but my experience is all in middle & high school (except church), so I sometimes have trouble brainstorming with my two guys.

Anyone have and tips for teaching preschool? Go with what they want. Their pace. Their interest. Their timing. Their style. You'll learn a lot more from them than they learn from you at this stage. Figuring out their learning style, subject passions/hates, and things like that will better prepare you for digging into harder stuff later. Keep learning fun. Never challenge a little one when they're hungry, sick, or tired, because they'll learn to hate learning.

I want to get started early so there is time for me to get used to homeschooling ... Great idea.

...and anyway, I want my son to be ahead, I already teach him so much at home that he already is. Ahead of what, and why? Do you plan to HS through high school, or will you go with a public/private setting at some point? You're welcome to pick my brain on acceleration if you'd like. There are pros and cons, like anything, but they tend to be much farther on the pro and con side than in the middle like most things are. (My 4 year old is in 2nd/3rd, depending on subject, and he's on a high school reading level. Most of it was self-taught. I've had to do a lot of soul-searching the past couple of years. I'm happy to share what I know, but I'm no expert, and every child/situation is different.)

I have started researching but I still have alot to learn. Also, I was wondering if you can buy books used? You can do whatever you want. You name it, you can find it. New, used, free, full curriculum kits, bits and pieces, online, workbook, DVD ... anything. Really. It sometimes takes a LOT of digging to get exactly what you want, but most things are adaptable to your needs.

Do you suggest that I use a seperate room? I have and office I could turn into a classroom but its not that big. It's not necessary. It works better for some if you have the space, but most people don't have the space, and they get along just fine. I didn't have my own space until recently. I'm spoiled now. I wouldn't want to go back to the way it was, and I'm already thinking ahead to the day that we'll outgrow the spare bedroom and have to take over the upstairs area (it's just one LARGE game room... no bed/bath or anything. I'm not moving up there until at LEAST when the boys are old enough to help carry tons of books and shelves. We've got a library worth of stuff.)
June 26th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Thank you for all the great info and tips! : )

I am thinking I will put my boys into public or private school for high school or even jr.high if they want to go - I will leave it up to them. Home education will continue anyway.
I like the idea of going at their pace with their interests - I am leaning towards the Delight Directed Learning method. I want to take what they are interested in and explore it in every way I can think of for as long as they want - no limits. Most of all I want to give them a love of learning. I try to make everyday a learning experience where I am teaching all the time and it is never a forced thing - so learning is fun and something my sons enjoy. I believe that they will be ahead of children their age if they are able to learn at home with one on one attention and the ability to continue beyond their grade level curriculum. Not that I have unrealistic expectations for them or that I will push them - I just believe I can give them a better chance to excel.
Chrystal - I would LOVE to know how you have tought your 4 year old how to read so well!!!

June 27th, 2010, 08:20 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Nothing of relevance to add since we're still ttc the child to homeschool, but wanted to say I noticed you're in Front Royal. I'm in Winchester and went to WC schools. They were awful!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
June 27th, 2010, 08:02 PM
I didn't really teach him. He started reading on his own at 22 mos. He was on probably a K-1st level when he turned 3 and started begging to start school. We told him no (come on... what 3 year old is in K??). We gave in when he was 3.5, but then we realized he was ready for 1st and was on appx 3-4 grade reading level. From Sept until Dec (with holiday breaks ... equivelent of about 12 weeks of actual instruction), we went through the Explode the Code series (books 3-8 only) just to solidify what he already knew, introduce him to more vocabulary (since he had a limited life experience), and fill in a few gaps. I had him tested (DORA) in January, and it said he was going into 10th grade for phonics (comprehension and spelling and stuff are appx 2nd, so that's what we're working on this year). His phonics level is way above that now. I'd say he's reading as well as most adults. There are a lot of tricky words out there that he has never seen, so he'll pronounce them phonetically correct, but not the way they're actually pronounced. Otherwise, he's reading perfectly. I had very little to do with that. He's always been the type to sit on the floor or bed in a sea of books. He didn't really care at ALL about toys until he turned 3, but as I said, he was already reading by then. My 19 month old has also started reading/spelling. It's very, very simple stuff like mom, dad, Ben, dog, etc., and he's not very consistent yet, but for a 19 month old, it's pretty impressive. He loves going to the library, just like his big brother did/does.

Not everyone enjoys reading (I hate it, personally ... my hubby's the one who devours books around here). Your kids might enjoy math or art or whatever. Don't push too hard until you find something they really like, and then make the tools available without pressure. Encourage and challenge, but don't push and pressure. Know what I mean?

OH... and this is something you should read:

IRPA - A Nation Deceived

Volume 1 is an overview, so you can read/skim the whole thing. Volume 2 is the same thing, but in WAY more detail. Only read the chapters that apply.
June 27th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Augie - I went to Fairfax county public schools for k - 6 and then Catholic school from 7 - 12. Fairfax county is supposed to have one of the best school systems in the US and I think it was pretty terrible - especially compared to my private school education! I am sorry to hear about all your losses : ( I am miscarrying a 8.5 weeks baby this weekend (I actually just passed the baby a few hours ago), it is a terrible thing to go through. God bless you! Oh, and I love the pictures of your wedding, it looks kind of medieval, very neat! : )

Chrystal, that is so amazing!! I have a friend who started reading on her own when she was 2. My son can recognize letters and pretend to read and I think thats amazing! LOL I agree that nothing should be pushed and that I should follow his lead - he also loves to read so I think with the right direction he could learn to read quickly. He always sits by himself and just looks at books as if he is reading, its so cute. I LOVE to read : ) One of the best ways to teach (I think) is by example, toddlers especially, love to copy adults.

June 27th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I'm so sorry. I've had many losses myself.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search