What are you useing for a reading program?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 29th, 2010, 03:50 PM
brandimomof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We used Abeka this past year and the books are just darling. I have been looking around for other reading programs because we are not using Abeka for our other subjects this year. I really have not found another I like. I looked at R&S and like that its bible based but not sure my daughter would like it. Some of those bible names and words would be hard for her to read.

Just curious as to what reading programs you are useing. I may consider not useing a formal program and just useing the library for reading.

We are useing MFW for history/science/bible and art. Sequential Spelling,Rod and Staff English and A reason for Writing. Just need to pick out a reading program.

I should mention this is for a 3rd grader.

June 29th, 2010, 03:55 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
What do you mean by "reading"? Are you looking for phonics or comprehension? I like Explode the Code for phonics (through 4th), MegaWords for advanced phonics (4th thru adult) and Reading Comprehension from Varied Subject Matter for comprehension (2nd thru 11th). I prefer library books for just plain old "reading" or to practice oral reading. Anything from Mother Goose to classical poets are great for using reading to work on memory (if you're not already using Bible for that).
June 29th, 2010, 04:05 PM
No not phonics just reading. Most have a formal reading program in addition to a phonics program. We will not be doing phonics this year. Abeka has a great reading program with great readers but since we are not useing Abeka I was looking around for something else that may be cheaper. Rod and Staffs reading program is to black and white for us. I know some do not use a reading program and I have thought about just doing library books.

June 29th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Sonlight also has lots of good books.
June 29th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Regular
We are using sonlight next year for 3rd. Has lots of great reading. I love how it uses real books for teaching reading and la.
June 29th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Super Mommy
We're trying the library next year because I can't keep enough books in the house.
June 30th, 2010, 08:49 AM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
I use Christian Liberty press for reading, spelling, bible, and writing... My kids love the books, and it is only $5-7 for each book. There are around 3-5 for the year....

June 30th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
To teach my son to read and gain that basic knowledge of sentence structure we used a book we found on Amazon.com called, Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons by Siegfried Engelmann

Its a little odd when you read through how to do it and get going but if you keep up with it its really an amazing experience.

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
July 4th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Thanks Ladies. We do normally get books off on the sonlight list at the library for her to read. She reads pretty well just want to improve on the level.

I had thought about Teach Your Child to read in 100 easy lessons for my 5yr old but it did seem alittle odd when we looked at it. I wasnt sure if we should use it or not. We are going to use MFW K for her. I wonder if we could use this in addition to MFW K?

July 4th, 2010, 08:07 PM
The 100 lesson book is a love it or hate it type. There aren't too many reviews that fall between. I looked at it once and didn't like it, but some do well with it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search