Those doing more than 1 child...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2010, 04:32 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
How do you find things work out the best. Do you find sharing 1 large table for everyone or separate little desks for everyone? Currently there is limited amount of space, so I really do not have the room to do both a big table (which is what we are currently going with) and desks for everyone. This system is not working out the greatest as Matthew likes to talk more and needs more help than what Whit does, but she is not liking the extra "noise" that is coming from him when she is working, or that is what her excuse is at this time. I am sure that is a bit distracting for her as she has never liked to be bothered, but he is not being that loud or out of line by any means. They do shared history, grammar and science. I am not sure what the best route would be to make the environment better.
July 5th, 2010, 05:53 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
my first year, we used the kitchen table. They would talk and talk.....last year, I went to a school auction and got desks for them. it was much better!

July 5th, 2010, 06:27 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Yeah, I am leaning towards just doing separate desks. I just had hoped we could all just sit around the big table and do our work together...
July 5th, 2010, 09:36 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
For now, they share a little table/chair set, but I work with them at different times of the day. Eventually (next year?) they'll each have their own space.
July 5th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Super Mommy
I know I only have 1 but have you thought about head phones that play low classical music to block out her brothers chatter.
July 6th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have one big table and I really like that better. I try to do as many school things as I can together as a group so it's nice that we can all gather together at one big table. And there is plenty of space to spread out. A few times, the kids put up privacy folders if they really felt the need to work alone. I also have one small schooldesk in my schoolroom should anyone need that, but honestly it's not used very often. At times, my oldest child had to leave the room entirely because the little kids were bugging him. But for the most part, the big table has worked very nicely. I think it encourages togetherness and bonding instead of making the kids feel that they were on their own (but with the option for alone time if they needed it.)

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
July 7th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Regular
Our first year my older dd had a study desk and my younger one had a small kitchen table. I pushed them up against each other and sat on the edge of the middle. It worked for a while, but I got nothing in the house down because we were using the space bedroom as the "classroom". I liked having a separate room to hang stuff and all, but I was stuck in the room all day.

We are finishing up our third and for the past year and a half we have just used the dining room table. We have a tall bookcase for all the books and paper and I hang up the maps and pictures in the dining room. We don;t have a fancy dining room.

The table really works out for us. My children are 8 years apart so we are doing much different assignments, My older dd who is 15 just listens to her ipod while doing work.
July 7th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Sandra314's Avatar Homeschooling Mom
Send a message via Yahoo to Sandra314
We have one large table that the boys sit at. (we live in small space but make it work). The boys do some subjects together and I think it has helped them to learn to work together in a group setting. There are times when I have one of them doing computer time with a CD-Rom or quiet reading while the other is working independently on an assignment.

Married for 14+ years to the love of my life. Currently TTCing.
July 16th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Well, we aren't officially schooling Elijah, but he has his own toddler table.

When he gets older and they are both getting officially schooled, they will probably have separate desks. Elijah is quiet (partially because he just began talking and partially because he is just a quiet kid) and Kaydence just talks and talks and talks. It would drive him nuts so separate desks it is

July 17th, 2010, 09:03 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I have five school-age kids, and found that this year the oldest two preferred working at their own desks while the younger ones found it nicer to sit just wherever... they would use the kitchen table or the couches or (when the weather turned nice) take their stuff outside.

Me personally, I don't mind where they choose to do their work so long as it gets done w/o too much disruption. If it gets to where they are horsing around or stuff is taking too long, then I send them to seperate areas of the house.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

July 18th, 2010, 04:21 PM
mommytutu's Avatar mom to Emma & Jacqueline
We do our school at the dining table.. my little one isn't doing any official work yet, but she enjoys coloring and joining in on crafts.

We used to do school on our second floor in the office/classroom but I found we were not able to get as much done, and I hated being stuck in one room. Being downstairs in the center of the house allows us to get a lot more done and it just feels more comfortable.

I imagine when they are older they might need seperate desks, but we'll see when we get there.

July 18th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We are discussing this very thing in our home right now. We are thinking we are going with desks that we can push together or pull apart. I like the idea of being able to separate them if they get to distracting one another.

I kind of like these:

Walmart.com: Mainstays Glass-Top Desk, Fuchsia: Furniture

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search