tests

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Does anyone do testing to put their kid in the next grade level or how do you decide they passed to the next grade?

do you grade them in each subject?
July 7th, 2010, 03:11 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
When I say Ben's in "2nd grade", I mean that the majority of his subjects are on a 2nd grade level. I teach everything on its own level, though, so handwriting is very basic (PreK-K) and reading is very hard (high school). He "graduates" when he finishes a set of lessons (workbook, textbook, video, or whatever the media happens to be for that subject). Does that make sense? I mean, yes, I DO test him on reading and math (for my own knowledge... Online Reading Assessment, Math Assessment and Supplemental Instruction), but otherwise, I know what he's doing, and I pick curriculum accordingly, no matter what the number says on the cover of the book. When I say he's working at x-grade level, that means I'm confident he'd do well in a group setting at that level. There will be kids in the group working slightly above or slightly below him.

Last edited by BensMom; July 7th, 2010 at 03:14 PM.
July 7th, 2010, 03:36 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
yes, I have to do testing every year. If I don't test, then I have to have a teacher evalution to continue homeschooling. It is the law in Ohio I don't mind testing... It makes me realize that my kids are testing higher than their "year" curriculum and I need to push them more I like to see if I am actually teaching them something.

July 7th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Super Mommy
Miguel test's because he's required. He'll be in third grade based on his age. He's 8 but he does MS/HS math, MS/HS science, MS American history, 2nd grade spelling/writing, 3rd grade grammar, HS/college reading. His National test are his grade level but I also do the DOMA / DORA to see where he's really at. When he's strictly HS in one subject I will keep grades but until then I really don't bother.

This year he's actually "repeating" third grade. I put repeating in quotes because he'll do all new things and continue advancing work. However based on some behavioral issues, his size and manner of speaking it's best that his grade matches his age. Plus he's able to participate in school classes, scouts so it'll be easier classifying him this way.
July 7th, 2010, 04:58 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I am not required to test and have not done it, it may be something I consider in the future just to see where they are in things. I just go by what level they should be with their peers or what they are at level wise.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search