Hello!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2010, 11:25 PM
MrsSarah1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope you all don't mind my popping in here. I don't plan on homeschooling (I would love to honestly but our family requires two incomes so it's just not financially possible) but I do plan on sending our children to a local Waldorf methods charter school.

I know that Waldorf is a pretty popular method in the homeschooling community and I was curious if anyone in here practices this method.

My daughters are very young, and again, I work, so trying to trying to transition to a waldorf household is proving to be very difficult.

What are things/activities that you do, or have in your home to make it more "waldorfy"?

Any other advice would be helpful, thank you!
July 8th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Super Mommy
We originally wanted to do waldorf but there's no way it would have worked with our child when he was younger. You may want to look at oak medow I'm sorry I can't help more. I'll try to find more.
July 8th, 2010, 07:41 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I don't use the Waldorf method, but that you should take a look at Oak Meadow. Also try googling "Rudolf Steiner Bookstore", because there are a lot of them, and you'll be able to call for specific suggestions on parenting and preschooling and such.
July 8th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
There are many books and websites dedicated to living a waldorf lifestyle. Oak meadow is a curriculum that is waldorf inspired but not exactly waldorf. If you want ideas on how to incorporate ideas into your everyday life, I would recommend looking at some books or articles here:

Bob & Nancy's Bookshop - Welcome to Our Bookshop!

And really it is more of a lifestyle than a schooling choice. I can see how it would be difficult for a working mom, but it's still totally doable.

We are a very waldorf-y type family and always have been even before making the homeschooling decision and even before knowing anything about waldorf. I have never sent my kids to a waldorf school, but probably would if I could afford it. You are lucky to have a waldorf charter available where you live- no such option in my state.

Some things I would suggest are adding art or story time to your evenings. That is if you are home in the evenings (not sure what your work schedule is.) One of the main ideas behind waldorf is ritual and routine. So if you can't plan a storytime for each night(think fairy tales, hero stories, gentle and imaginative stories like winnie the pooh) then maybe it can be a sunday ritual. Do the art project the next day or sometime after the story and let it go along with the story- like making clay models of the Pooh characters or putting together some simple homemade costumes (think sheets, scarves,..nothing complicated) and acting out the story.

Another big waldorf concept is the nature table. Find a spot in your home and set up a small space to serve as your nature table area. Try to take as many nature walks as you can find time for. Each time, let your child bring one special thing home to add to the table. A leaf, a stone, a feather... Decorate your nature table space to reflect the seasons if you like. Add your clay figures that you made or make other creatures out of natural materials to display.

Many waldorf families avoid toys that are battery-powered or made of plastic, etc.. Think natural toys- cloth, wood, etc... Instead of tv or computer time, go on one of those nature walks or just play in the yard, even if it's cold. Make crafts, paint, read stories, encourage your children to play dress up and make-believe, etc..

It is definitely possible for you to live this type of lifestyle even while working. Just keep the main ideas in your mind: routine and ritual, art, natural lifestyle, imagination, gentleness. There is much more to waldorf that that of course. Those are just some basic ideas.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:

Last edited by Motherbird; July 8th, 2010 at 03:01 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search