When curiculum doesn't work...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Super Mommy
Do you finish it or just move on? How often throughout the year do you change things? Is there particular subjects that you have to change more often? What subject(s) hasn't worked out yet?
July 8th, 2010, 04:13 AM
Regular
If it doesn;t work, drop it. I have changed math mid year and science. My dd will be on her 3rd curriculum for math this fall. We did Saxon for k and 1. We loved it for K, but was to easy for 1, so halfway through we went to Horizons. This year we stayed with Horizons but for 3rd we are changing to Singapore.

My older dd tried SOS for science our first year homeschooling and she hated it. We switched to Apologia about 2months into school. She has been using their books for 3 years now.

I have found if it doesn;t work don't stay with it. It just causes frustration and heartache.
July 8th, 2010, 06:42 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I also drop it. I don't want to frustrate the kids and make them learn to hate learning. I've switched math a couple of times now. The other things either haven't changed, or I've made minor adjustments (like grade level, but not publisher).
July 10th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ive done both. There were a few times I dropped it and found something new. But there have also been several that I made them finish up the year before finding something new. There was a creative writng workbook my daughter hated and dreaded working on every day. I cut it down to a few times a week but made her finish it. I felt like she was still learning good skills from it and the challenge was probably good for her. Sometimes there are things you don't enjoy but have to do anyway.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
July 10th, 2010, 01:42 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motherbird View Post
Sometimes there are things you don't enjoy but have to do anyway.
The further mine get into school, the more likely I'll be to make them stick with something. I've been wishy-washy at first because I'm still figuring out learning styles, trying out curriculum styles, etc. There are things they'll have to do whether they like it or not, though. Definitely.
July 10th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Super Mommy
It depends on what it is and if I feel that information is worth the fight a lot of times we skim through the important things.
July 14th, 2010, 08:06 AM
KeriMomof2's Avatar Veteran
I agree with the above posters as well...
When my dd was in k & 1st we used abeka..and 1/2 way thur my dd's 1st grade year we knew it wasnt working so we dropped it (i know this can be a hard thing to do when money is sooo tight..if we hadnt bougt k & 1st at the same time we wouldnt have even tried abkea for her 1st grade year ...but money was a issue so we did )We ended up switching to Time4learning ..At 1st we chose it as a temp. thing since its a online month to month kinda program,Ya'know to get us thur to grade 2nd (didnt want to spend so much money when you only use 1/2 a curriculum kwim)
But since have loved it . So far with few bumps have been happy with it the last couple years
This year thou I am adding some handwriting
*Keri*I am a Co-sleeping ...Retired-EBF'er "8+years total"...No-circumcision... Non-Vaxing...Home-schooling/Road-schooling ~> College Student Momma, Who loves Blogging<~click to View O' and did I mention I am now a Avon Sales Rep ? www.youravon.com/Keri

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search