Another *score!* (updated with another)

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2010, 06:50 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29

Someone's spring cleaning. I'm going to meet her tomorrow to pick up some stuff. I'm getting a set of base 10 blocks (minus the 1000), a teaching clock that's better than the one I have, the first 4 Harry Potter books in new condition, and a CD player all for $22 total.

The boys have their name in the hat several times at the library for a drawing coming up soon. Hopefully we'll win Percy Jackson books 1-4, too. B and I debated whether to do the HP drawing or the PJ drawing. I figured it would be easier to find (cheap) books 1-4 of HP than PJ. I was right.

UPDATE

I just talked to a private school about 45 min from me, and they said they're getting rid of all their K-8 language arts, including teacher manuals, worksheet guides, etc., in almost new condition... free! Going this afternoon to see what they've got.

UPDATE #2

I was able to get the student version of K thru 8 literature/phonics (all good-used except K... it was new), and I also got 2 teachers manuals (2nd and 3rd, I think? can't remember) in very used condition.

Last edited by BensMom; July 9th, 2010 at 12:20 PM.
July 8th, 2010, 07:13 PM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nice!

They have the first four Percy Jackson books (paperback) for $4 each at Sam's Club and the fifth book (hardcover) for $9. Given that I usually see them for $15+, that isn't bad at all. That's new, of course...I'm sure you could find used even cheaper. Hopefully you'll just win the drawing, though. LOL

My 8 year old has never been interested in Harry Potter, but she ADORES the Percy Jackson series.

Last edited by AmAnDaMo; July 8th, 2010 at 07:18 PM.
July 8th, 2010, 07:19 PM
I don't have a SC membership anymore. LOL! The books at my walmart are going for about $10-15 each (paperback).
July 8th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Aside from things like toilet paper, paper towels, etc., the only reason I keep our membership is because of the cheap books/workbooks/educational DVDs and software I find there. I wish I could give you our books, but there's no way Ky would part with them. LOL

Since she's so obsessed and I know so much about the series as a result, I thought I'd point out that there are also these two books (if and when you get to the series):

Amazon.com: The Demigod Files (A Percy Jackson and the Olympians…

Amazon.com: Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Ultimate Guide (9781423121718): Mary-Jane Knight: Books

She enjoyed the first one, but not nearly as much as the series itself. She LOVED the second one and always used it as a reference when she'd stumble across a new monster, god, etc. in the series. She still pulls it out almost daily, in fact.

July 8th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Yeah, it'll be a while before we get there. LOL! I'm actually thinking about not letting him read the HP books for a few more years. The first one or two might be fine, and I KNOW he'd love them, but the later ones are much darker and have emotional issues he's not mature enough to comprehend yet. I don't want to get him hooked on the series and then take it away, ya' know? I'm not as familiar with PJ yet, so I haven't decided on those. He likes dragons and knights and magic and all that, so yeah... he'll be a fan one day. This is another one of those mom intervention moments where I say, "just because you're able to read this doesn't mean you should read this." Ya know? I like letting him know there are cool things down the road, but I like making him understand patience as well. (Like... he knows we're going to Disney World when he's 11. He doesn't even ask us to go there when he sees commercials.)

Last edited by BensMom; July 8th, 2010 at 07:41 PM.
July 8th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I definitely understand. I don't have to worry so much about that with the big one because nothing really bothers her, but emotional content and that sort of thing is something I have to consider with the little one...she really internalizes everything and it has the potential to deeply affect her.

I did find that sometimes my oldest would read things when she was younger that she could handle reading level-wise, but she hadn't had the life experiences yet to truly appreciate what she was reading like it was meant to be appreciated and couldn't yet relate what she was reading to her own life to make it more meaningful. Basic comprehension was there, of course, but she would have gotten more out of it when she was a little older simply because she would have had more life experiences. It's tricky with her, though...she doesn't necessarily like to read unless it's nonfiction, so I go with whatever she shows an interest in and let her run with it. Having kids that read way beyond grade level is tricky anyway, though...she just makes things extra fun. ha!

Last edited by AmAnDaMo; July 8th, 2010 at 07:56 PM.
July 9th, 2010, 06:47 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
love your updates

July 10th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on your good finds! You need to spread some of your good curriculum luck around! :-)

My oldest read the first Harry Potter in 1st grade and loved it. He is now going into High School and is still a bit of hp nut. I did make him wait a while to read the 4th one as I felt he was still too young when it came out. But the first 3 books were fine and he loved every one.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search