Introducing Myself

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 10th, 2010, 03:51 PM
~SavedbyGrace~'s Avatar ~Nichole~
Hi Ladies~

I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I really feel like I'm going to be needing alot of help from where ever I can get it soon!! My names is Nichole, and I have been married next thursday to Adam for 10 years. I have a 7 yr old son, that I am going to be homeschooling starting 1st week in August. This will be my first year hsing and am really starting to get nervous!! I also am expecting a baby girl, Grace, 9-4-10. My reasons for starting homeschooling are several. First off, I am a sahm again as of May, since I have the baby coming. I feel it will be best for my child/ren to get homeschooled for various reasons. My son is actually very smart and did well acedemically in school, but got bored very easily which in turn was leading to alot of disiplinary actions, having a negative effect on his self esteem, in turn causing him to hate school. Also, I want to be able to give him a Christian point of view. I have purchased his curriculum though Sonlight. As of the last couple of weeks, I am really starting to doubt my abilities and need some positive reinforcement, and PRAYERS!! So anyway, I really look forward to getting to know you ladies!

Nichole
July 10th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Welcome! We have all felt unprepared and overwhelmed at times, especially in the beginning. But you'll be fine! Feel free to just jump right in here and ask any questions that come up.
I think you're going to love Sonlight. Which Core are you going to use?

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
July 10th, 2010, 04:14 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Ditto that, and welcome! You'll do fine!!

I'm Chrystal, one of the hosts for this board. Ask all the questions you want. We've all asked the same questions at some point, so you're likely to get several types of responses depending on the question. That's what I like most about JM... I can ask any question I want, get a million answers, and choose the one that best suits my family.

Homeschooling is overwhelming at first, but it gets easier quickly... and FUN.
July 10th, 2010, 04:20 PM
~SavedbyGrace~'s Avatar ~Nichole~

Hi there! Well, I got the Newcomer 2 from sonlight, which is Core 1+2....I really have no idea what that means. I did do alot of research on the different Curriculum's, and am very confident I will be happy with Sonlight, it's me I'm worried about!

I have a question, is there any resource online that would point me in a direction of hs support groups in my area? I have no idea how to go about finding that.

Thanks guys and thanks for the quick welcome!
July 10th, 2010, 06:11 PM
You can search through yahoo groups, or another place I've found to be helpful is Used homeschool curriculum, and homeschool groups, events, and activities. It's mostly for buying/selling used curriculum, but up in the top right, you can click on your state to find a list of state-wide organizations. Send emails to groups that look like they're nearby, and see what they have to offer.
July 10th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Super Mommy
Welcome my name is Lisa, I home-school my 8 year old son. Core 1+2 is a condensed version of core 1 AND core 2 into "1 year". Sonlight was really fun we did core 3 part of last year.
July 10th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh, I just realized you live in my area! Maybe I can help you find some support groups. I'll private message you tomorrow when I'm more awake. I actually just got home from the ER with my littlest one. We thought he may have broken his hand but all is well thank goodness.

We did Core 1+2 a few years ago and loved it.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
July 10th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Quote:
We thought he may have broken his hand but all is well thank goodness.
Glad the little one is ok. We've made that trip, too! Not fun at all.
July 11th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Regular
Welcome! WE are doing Sonlight next year also. Core 3. It wil be our first time using it and I am exited! We have been homeschooling for 3 years, but I am also pretty new here.
July 11th, 2010, 11:32 AM
KeriMomof2's Avatar Veteran
Welcome
*Keri*I am a Co-sleeping ...Retired-EBF'er "8+years total"...No-circumcision... Non-Vaxing...Home-schooling/Road-schooling ~> College Student Momma, Who loves Blogging<~click to View O' and did I mention I am now a Avon Sales Rep ? www.youravon.com/Keri
July 11th, 2010, 12:06 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
welcome to the group! at first, it is scary. BUT you can do it... The teacher manuals and such are big helps. Also coming here and getting ideas
I am starting my 3rd year homeschooling a 5th grader, 3rd grader, and a preschooler... I use Christian Liberty Press, Horizon Math ,and Abeka.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search