lurker

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 18th, 2010, 08:38 PM
FruitLoopLace's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to FruitLoopLace Send a message via Yahoo to FruitLoopLace
Hey ladies, I am a lurker with a question. I am needing to find a new science book. My son perfers to work on his own and he is 16 next month, but i have kept him back some grades because I just pulled him out of public school last year at the end of the yr. so we have homeschooled for 3mths, then this one whole yr. Please dont think i am weird, or mean, but when i tested him, he didnt know NOTHING hardly in English, so we stated with Easy Grammer for 5th and 6th graders. I have to say I think he just needed a refresh, because he did pretty good on most of it. When we tested in Math he was about three yrs behind and he has ADHD. I dont believe in medication, I have been down that road for yrs and obviously a waste of time since the grades were all F's and they were going ot pass him anyway because he had a great attitude! :O
Anway, sorry to go on and on.

POINT is, I need to find a 8th grade science curriculum and a history one. I think he likes the BJU History. But the Apologia general science has been very hard. SO we need a diffrent approach. Also looking into a diffrent math. We were using Math-U-See, but I have Zeta to get through the first half of the yr. Then we move on to pre-Algebra I think, and he HATES math-u-see, so some ideas would be great!! He likes workbooks, and simpleness. THanks and sorry for the long story!!!

Thank You Ashypoo03 for my Beautiful Siggy
July 18th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Super Mommy
Science- Noeo level II or III
Math- Life of Fred
History- Joy Hakim: story of US RL: ages 9-12 (haven't started it it's either loved or hated)
July 19th, 2010, 06:31 AM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lacy! Alpha Omega Lifepacs are pretty simple (they come in 10 workbooks that last the full year)... Austin likes them but many on here would say they are boring. But b/c they divide them down into 10 workbooks I think they can be a bit simpler & not so overwhelming for students.

8th grade history we used BJU Earth & Space Science... just a thought since you said he like BJU history.

Just curious, I know you told me he doesn't like MUS, I was wondering why???

Oh & remember that used curriculum (One Year Adventure Novel) I was telling you about a few nights ago. Well, I had been praying about it & was going to get it but... she sold it. I just got the email this morning. I'm not going to jump into a decision though. I am glad I took a few days to pray about it & even had my PP on the CP board praying for me too so I really think God has other plans but now I get to explain to Austin why we won't be doing it this year. He's going to be heartbroken but I'm still following God's lead (& trusting Him) & if He wants us to do it, He'll provide it at the right time for the right price.

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
July 19th, 2010, 06:32 AM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
I use Abeka science and History. I really like it! I haven't used Abeka math or BJU math.

July 19th, 2010, 10:43 AM
FruitLoopLace's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to FruitLoopLace Send a message via Yahoo to FruitLoopLace
thanks ladies!
Amanda, Jason doesnt like the MUS because when they give you somthing to do, there is not enough information expaining how to do it. He didnt like the videos either. I have to agree with him on these. I liked it at first, but it got hard to figure out what they were talking about.

I am really concidering the lifepacs. Why does anyone think they are boring? are they for independent working? is there teacher books? Is there a place that I can see a sample of how it works or what it looks like? thanks so much amanda!

Thank You Ashypoo03 for my Beautiful Siggy
July 19th, 2010, 12:36 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
If you have a Mardel's nearby, you can go there for LifePacs. They'll open boxes for you as well.

What about the younger Apologia series? It's designed for K-6, but high schoolers can use it as well.
July 19th, 2010, 01:58 PM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitLoopLace View Post
thanks ladies!
Amanda, Jason doesnt like the MUS because when they give you somthing to do, there is not enough information expaining how to do it. He didnt like the videos either. I have to agree with him on these. I liked it at first, but it got hard to figure out what they were talking about.
Actually, I understand. As you move into some of the harder subjects, Pre-Algebra & Algebra, I've heard & seen where they don't necessarily explain EVERYTHING. They want the student to figure it out a bit. I guess it doesn't bother me as much b/c I have always been an excellent math student. It's my favorite subject & I've been through Cal 3 in college so anything MUS would be a breeze to me so when Austin runs into a problem that they didn't quite explain on the video, I easily teach it to him.

Quote:
thanks ladies!
I am really concidering the lifepacs. Why does anyone think they are boring?
I can see why some students think they might be boring, especially if the student really learns by hands on learning since these are workbooks that you read a little each day & do a few pages & you're done... nothing as exciting as building things or playing with math manipulatives or whatnot. Here's a link to give you more info on AO that was started a while back when I was still trying to figure out Austin's 8th grade curriculum... http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f3...for-price.html (What do you think of Alpha Omega? What curriculum is the best for the price of it?)

Quote:
are they for independent working?
Yep, mostly. Though I'm sure a creative mom can spruce it up a bit.

Quote:
is there teacher books?
Yep

Quote:
Is there a place that I can see a sample of how it works or what it looks like?
LIFEPAC - Homeschool Curriculum - Alpha Omega Publications
Here is a link to 8th grade subjects... LIFEPAC 8th Grade - Homeschool Curriculum - Alpha Omega Publications
If you click on the subject of choice, you'll se a few tabs about midway down the page... Description, Resources, & Testimonials. Click on resources & voila... sample pages of the text.

Oh AND I can take a few pics of our 8th grade history one if you need/would like. And like Crystal said some Christian bookstores let you look at the curriculum in the store. I know one around here does.

Quote:
thanks so much amanda!
You're welcome!

AND drop by CP to check out my HUGE praise... http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f4...se-not-pg.html (HUGE praise!!! (not pg))

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search