Explode the Code Books...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2010, 10:59 PM
mom2mande's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was looking into getting these for my 4½ year old preschooler. Anyone use them? Approx how many do I plan on using for the school year do you think? CBD has them on sale through the end of the month so I would like to just buy what I think I will need for a year. Thanks for any help!
July 22nd, 2010, 11:19 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
LOVE THEM!!! I used books 3-8 with my older one as a brush-up. I bought the entire series a few days ago (on sale) to be used with my younger one. Most people say to do a lesson a week and do appx 3 books per year, give or take. You can do them at whatever pace you want, though. Books A thru C are for preschoolers through about 1st grade. Books 1 through 8 are for K-4th. You won't necessarily need the half-level books. They're extra practice for kids who struggle with a particular level. You may need the half-level for one book but not another. KWIM? Depends on the child. I've never used (or seen) all the wall chart and card stuff. I don't think they're necessary, but then again, I haven't SEEN them in person.
July 23rd, 2010, 01:37 AM
Super Mommy
I used ETC as a spelling program not a learning how to read program.

We used all 8 at 2 pages (front and back) a day. We used it to get our son to stop fearing spelling so much that he refused to write. Now it helped his spelling and it's a great beginning program it got him ready to uses sequential spelling. I recommend ETC to anyone that will listen.
July 23rd, 2010, 06:04 AM
Thanks ladies! Brody's special ed teacher recommended the Handwriting W/O Tears for getting started with handwriting but I am kind of lost on what to use for reading. They actually use zoophonics but well that looked really expensive last I checked into it. Which brought me to ETC which someone else said they used and loved. So many choices

oh and is the teacher book for the first 3 books (A,B,C) really needed?
July 23rd, 2010, 09:58 AM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've used books 1-3 with my youngest (haven't yet decided if we'll continue with book 4), but we were using them for spelling/writing practice by the middle of book 2 rather than as a phonics program. We found more success with Progressive Phonics (free!). I'll introduce a new rule that way, and we read together, which keeps it from being too overwhelming. Then I find readers that incorporate what she's learned for practice. As is the case with many kids, her reading ability exceeds her spelling ability, so we found that we could go at a faster pace with Progressive Phonics and slow down ETC for spelling. ETC is a great program, though, although I like it more than she likes it.

Last edited by AmAnDaMo; July 23rd, 2010 at 10:04 AM.
July 23rd, 2010, 01:33 PM
I haven't used the teacher guides for anything, and I don't know anyone who has. I'm sure someone has (or else they wouldn't bother publishing them), but I don't think they're necessary.

I also like Progressive Phonics - Progressive Phonics.
July 23rd, 2010, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom View Post
I haven't used the teacher guides for anything, and I don't know anyone who has. I'm sure someone has (or else they wouldn't bother publishing them), but I don't think they're necessary.

I also like Progressive Phonics - Progressive Phonics.
Super cute! Thanks for the link!! This will be perfect for us I think as we are going to go really slowly this fall and just follow his lead. I picked up a Hand. w/o tears book that was suggested,a simple age appropriate math workbook and we will top it off with the progressive phonics. I think it will be plenty for him, he is just excited that he gets to stay home and do school like everyone else since we decided to drop the public special ed and switch to private therapy.
July 23rd, 2010, 08:54 PM
That sounds perfect!
July 24th, 2010, 10:52 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
So what is Explode the Code? My first grader has reading down pat, and my pre-ker is still learning letter sounds. Would ETC be worth it for either of them?
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
July 24th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Definitely for the Pre-k. I used it with Ben when he was already reading. The later books were worth it. We skimmed through the earlier ones to make sure he hadn't overlooked anything when teaching himself to read.

Here's the site: SS—LI Phonics & Word Study Explode The Code

There's an online version as well, but I don't know anyone who likes it. I'd much rather use the workbooks. Click the tab (midway down the page) to look at which version you want. Each lesson is appx 6-8 pages long. For example, if the topic for that lesson is "ch":

You'd have a page where you're given the word ("chair") and three pictures, so you'd circle the picture of the chair.

You'd have a page where you're given a picture ("chair") and three words, so you'd choose the word chair.

You'd have a page where you're given the picture followed by parts of the word to circle and write out. (So, they'd give you ch, th and sh, you'd circle ch. They'd give you a, ai, and ay, and you'd circle ai. They'd give you r, d, and t, and you'd circle r. Then you'd write out what you just circled - ch ai r - to spell chair.)

You'd have a page of reading sentences where they give you a picture and you choose the sentence that describes the picture.

You'd have a page of silly yes/no questions, like "Does a chair go on the bed?" (no) or "Do you want a chip?" (you could answer yes or no for that one)

They're really cute, and they have a lot of reinforcement. You can do all of the exercises or you can just do the ones that work best for you. There are also review lessons after about every 3-5 lessons. You can do them or skip them. If a particular lesson/book is too hard, you can go down a level or you can get the next half-level up for extra practice.

They're very self explanatory when you get your hands on them. It's hard to explain in type.
July 24th, 2010, 12:17 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Thanks a bunch! I'll definitely look into them.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
July 24th, 2010, 02:04 PM
mommytutu's Avatar mom to Emma & Jacqueline
Just popping in to say that we have been using Progressive Phonics and we LOVE it! We are finishing up the Alphabetti books and will be moving on to the Beginner Books soon.

I also just purchased HWOTs today to use for our new year. DD struggles staying focused with writing so I am hoping this will help us out a lot.

July 25th, 2010, 07:34 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
They are AWESOME and have done wonders for helping my oldest with her phonics and reading!! If they are on sale, I would for sure buy several of them, they are not that big to begin with and you can actually go through them fairly quickly, but worth it IMHO. DS has been been working on one of the books and is already halfway through. He does a full lesson each time.
July 25th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Super Mommy
We used Explode the code with Miguel last year to make him more comfortable with sounding out words to write. He already knew how to read well but ETC gave him confidence to try to spell words. This is the one curriculum that Miguel did not drag his feet or complain over.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search