Anyone use Saxon Math?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 30th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Regular
Currently, we use Abeka, however, I'm feeling like that may not be the best choice for Molly. Just wondering what your thoughts are on Saxon are, if you have any experience with it. Also, what learning styles would you say it would be good for?
July 30th, 2010, 08:32 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I have no experience with it, with all of my kids, we use Math Mammoth. I know several on here use it though. What are you not liking with Abeka?
July 30th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Regular
It just doesn't seem to be clicking with her. I really don't know how Saxon math works, but it seemed there might be more hands on stuff. I couldn't really tell. See, math was never my forte in school either and I pretty much hated it. I don't want her to get to the same point. She just seems really frustrated with A Beka, like she eventually gets stuff, but I have to come up with a lot of my own hands on things to accomplish her getting it. I would prefer to, next, year or whenever we finish this book, to get something more hands on.
July 30th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Regular
We used it for kindy and half of first. It does have hands on lessons and a ton of review (the reason we don't use it anymore for elementary). My dd liked the hands on activities, but being a former public school teacher, I am able to come up with hands on learning for math without the use of Saxon. I just didnt like the ton of review work and it even backtracked from Kindy to 1st where at the end of kindy we were learning am and pm and in 1st we were back to morning and afternoon.

This past year we used horizons. If you buy the teacher's manual it does have hands on activities. It has review, not as much but still too much for my dd who is getting bored with doing some of the same stuff over and over again! however, I did like the workbooks and some of the problems were multistep which is important to learn.

Next year we are switching to Sinapore which I am told moves faster and has less review. Hoping dd will like it better.

My older dd loves Saxon. She just finished Algebra 2.
July 30th, 2010, 08:44 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I would recommend Saxon in the later grades, but not before about 4th grade or so. If you're really looking for hands-on learning, look at either Math-U-See (blocks), RightStart (abacus), or Miquon (rods). We'll be using Miquon next year. It's for 1-3 grades, it's a cheaper alternative to MUS, and it's laid out in a way that you can either do the books in order, touching on a little of this and a little of that, *OR* you can skip around the 6 books to do all of one set of learning at a time before moving onto another set of learning. In that sense, it's great for those who like the spiral approach or the (what's the word...?)... doing one thing at a time... approach. (Sorry... it's late, and I'm way beyond exhausted.)
July 31st, 2010, 04:22 AM
LisanAndy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Popping in.. my parents actually used it for me in the middle school grades (We used Abeka for everything else). Math had always been my weakest subject until we got that curriculum

Is baby Aubrey Alana or Jacob Robert?!

July 31st, 2010, 08:06 AM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
I use Horizons right now. I will go to either Abeka math or Saxon when my kids reach junior high

August 2nd, 2010, 06:14 PM
Regular
We're going to do classical conversations for a homeschooling group this year, and I just got an email saying that they're going to have a day curriculum display. Even though I went to the midwest homeschool conference in the spring, now I feel that I might have a better idea of what could work for her best, so hopefully actually seeing some stuff there will help. I tell you, picking out curriculum can be so overwhelming.
August 2nd, 2010, 07:30 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I agree! I love getting to look at stuff hands-on, though. It really helps clear your mind about all the choices available.
August 3rd, 2010, 06:19 AM
Regular
Exactly!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search