history/geography

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 30th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
what does everyone use?
i ordered the ABEKA for first grade and im not really happy with it-it doesnt seem like enough to learn-at least FOR US.

i would like it to be christian

anyone know of any free worksheets for these subjects online?

THANKS SO MUCH for any help!
July 30th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We are using Story of the world 1, we are classical homeschoolers and are doing history chronologically.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

July 30th, 2010, 04:13 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Amber~* View Post
We are using Story of the world 1, we are classical homeschoolers and are doing history chronologically.
That is what I use as well. We are also using a touch of Around the world in 180 days and then throwing in US history a bit too.
July 30th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Regular
We also used Story of the World in 1st. We mostly liked it. Next year we are doing Sonlight. I like how they teach history and geography through reading great literature.
July 30th, 2010, 08:47 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
We're doing Mystery of History. SotW is cheaper, and it's written by a Christian author, but the text itself isn't Christian. MoH weaves secular and Christian history together starting with creation and going to modern. It's designed to be done a volume at a time (4 volumes), three times before graduation, so that you've gone completely through history in a methodical, chronological way 3 times. Also, it has activities and worksheets for younger, middle, and older so that all siblings can learn the same material at the same time, but at an age appropriate level. It's a bit pricy, but you only have to order it one time (per volume). SotW is really just for elementary.

If you'd rather make up your own curriculum, what are you looking for exactly? What topics of interest, I mean?
July 30th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i have NO idea. i just want them to know what they're supposed to know
July 31st, 2010, 06:50 AM
mommytutu's Avatar mom to Emma & Jacqueline
We are tenatively planning to use History Odyssey for first grade. We're just now getting into to K so I have plenty of time to change my mind, though.

July 31st, 2010, 07:55 AM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
now, I ordered 3rd and 5th grade History/geography Abeka for my kids. I think it is great! My previous publisher was not that thorough. Maybe try Bob Jones

August 2nd, 2010, 06:52 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I would suggest the library. At first, kids should be learning about the world around them. Start with the community (fire, police, local government, etc.). Branch out to learning cardinal directions, the names of the states, then continents & oceans, and then get children's books that talk about world cultures of other children. Kids like learning about other children their own age and how differently they live. You could even bring in a hands-on element to it by using a globe and eating foreign foods. From the Christian standpoint, you can talk about world religions and why you believe Christ is the correct religious figure to follow (or even begin the journey to prove he's real, etc.... although that one is usually for older kids.... books like "The Case for Christ" and such).
August 2nd, 2010, 09:13 AM
Sandra314's Avatar Homeschooling Mom
Send a message via Yahoo to Sandra314
We are going to be using Galloping the Globe this year. We are not using all the materials listed in its core list but we were able to get a few books and found alternatives to it. The boys are excited about using it.

I was able to get some Hands on History project books that we can use as supplements with Galloping the Globe.

Married for 14+ years to the love of my life. Currently TTCing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search