stressing

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2010, 01:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So I'm wondering, do you just make sure your child does all the work you have for him/her that year and then say they passed to the next grade? How much should they be able to remember of the year? I dont know if im making sense lol but i just want to make sure he's remembering what he learns not just doing the work kwim?
August 3rd, 2010, 04:03 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I think you'll end up answering that yourself, because if you try to move on, but you're met with "I don't understand", you know you need to repeat some things. *Most* of the curricula out there assumes you'll take summers off and have a little bit of a set-back in knowledge, so they'll start with a review for several weeks before presenting new material. If you don't experience "brain rot" as it's called, because either the child remembers everything, or you choose to school year-round, then you'll be able to move at a faster pace because you can skip a heck of a lot of review stuff. Also, for the very same reason, a lot of people don't finish the *entire* book when working from book-based curricula, because they know a lot of it will be repeated at the beginning of the following year. Why do it twice? If you're looking at it from a public school mentality, you'll already know that they rarely finish entire courses in the set amount of days allowed, yet their students still pass minimum requirements and are advanced to the next grade. Homeschoolers typically work at a higher level, so the minimum passing score a parent requires is higher than what the government requires. (Yes, there are some who neglect their children and call it homeschooling, and I'm not talking about "unschooling", because even that has a little bit of guidance, but usually parents make sure their child is learning before moving to the next stage. People who call unschooling neglect don't really understand what unschooling is for.)

That's probably more than you wanted, but I understand where you're coming from. I asked the same thing both mentally and aloud when I was still teetering on the idea of homeschooling.

Last edited by BensMom; August 3rd, 2010 at 04:07 PM.
August 4th, 2010, 06:54 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I think we have all felt that at the beginning, but like she said, if you see that they don't know something or not fully understanding a concept, you will know that right off and will cover the materials differently so they do.
August 5th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Regular
We don't always finish eveything. In fact, for math this year I just started picking and choosing what pages for dd to do. Out of the last 40 pages she did maybe 12 that had new stuff in it. She still got 100% on the final test from the book.

In reading, we are just skipping around. We won't finish it, as it is already August and we both need some time off! But every other day we do a few lessons. What we don't finish she will learn next year!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search