Preschool curriculum

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2010, 01:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hey everyone! I'm new to the homeschooling board, and I wanted to get some opinions. I have a 3 1/2 year old son and a 22 month old daughter. I'm wanting to get some preschool curriculum for at least my son (of course it would be great if my daughter caught on), but I have NO idea what to choose. I'm wanting something that is Christian-based and will help him with his numbers, shapes, alphabet, etc. as well as teach him about seasons, days of the week, etc. I've looked some at Horizons and Weaver Interlock, but I have no idea which is best or if there is something better for what we want. Any input/advice?

TIA!

August 3rd, 2010, 02:12 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Are you wanting an all-in-one kit that does all the prep work for you (expensive), or are you willing to put together your own curriculum (virtually free)?

I like Abeka as a comprehensive kit, but I also like much, much cheaper options like Learn to Read with phonics (the free and/or paid versions), Brightly Beaming Resources, ENCHANTED LEARNING HOME PAGE, and many other websites. You can get most of what you need at this stage in the library or dollar stores (aside from free printables online and such).
August 3rd, 2010, 02:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't mind paying for it. Since I've never done this before I want to make sure I do it right. My son is really into school and loves doing book work and learning so I want to make sure I have a lot of neat things to keep him busy. He's always wanting to do school even when there's nothing left to do.

I have some workbooks from the dollar store and a bigger, thicker workbook from Target that he does stuff in, but it mainly only covers tracing, letters, shapes, numbers, etc.

August 3rd, 2010, 02:52 PM
There are some preschool "complete" workbooks at places like walmart that also include thinking skills (finding patterns like xooxooxoo__, or figuring out how to put pictures in chronological order like seed, water, bloomed flower). A lot of what a preschooler needs can't be found in a book, though. Things like paying attention (progressively longer books with more words on a page), motor skill tasks (games, puzzles, blocks, art projects), and manipulatives (relationships between sizes of objects, weights of objects, guessing what you think will happen in a given situation and then testing it, etc.).

Again, I really like Abeka, but then again, Abeka is a very "school" type of curriculum. For some people it's great (my son loves workbooks and such), but for some, it's terrible (those who would rather learn from concrete objects in nature or through playtime activities).

https://www.abeka.com/Resources/PDFs...ndSequence.pdf
August 3rd, 2010, 03:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm wanting a curriculum for the very reason you mentioned - that you can't learn everything from a workbook. I know someone who homeschooled her 3 boys, and they used the Weaver Interlock for them. She showed me her book that she still has that she used with them. It's not really a workbook type of homeschooling. It is a 3-day preschool layout and goes through Genesis 1-10. There are print outs for the kids, but it's mainly for making things. Like you'll make a solar system one day or put paper clothes on a paper doll that are suitable for certain seasons. Does that make sense? So I'm wanting something along those lines that will give me the direction and organization I need that I'm able to use alongside some of the workbook stuff. I'm not sure if that's how Abeka is?

August 3rd, 2010, 03:48 PM
You might be more interested in "Before Five in a Row", although I can't remember if it has any hands-on projects. I think it does. It's not a workbook, though.

I need to run out for a bit. I'll think on this and come back...
August 3rd, 2010, 03:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you so much! Let me know if you come up with anything!

August 3rd, 2010, 04:44 PM
Regular
I'm following this thread for my son. He's 3 and is so jealous of Molly and her school. I want to try to get some fun things for him to do as school where he's learning but just getting a nice fun foundation.
August 3rd, 2010, 05:12 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
I will be using Brightly Beaming Resources for my almost 3 yr old. It is free and is all layed out in 26 weeks with worksheets and projects..
Next year, I am either doing Abeka, Horizon, or christian liberty press for preschool/K4

August 3rd, 2010, 06:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmommato3 View Post
I will be using Brightly Beaming Resources for my almost 3 yr old. It is free and is all layed out in 26 weeks with worksheets and projects..
Next year, I am either doing Abeka, Horizon, or christian liberty press for preschool/K4
Thanks for your link! Off to check it out!

August 3rd, 2010, 06:21 PM
LisanAndy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I use Letter of the Week Preschool Curriculum and made up my own Bible curriculum. Once they get to kindergarten level we'll be using Abeka. We start home schooling for the first time at the end of the month so we'll see how this free online curriculum is

Is baby Aubrey Alana or Jacob Robert?!

August 3rd, 2010, 06:28 PM
MamaPickles's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MamaPickles Send a message via Yahoo to MamaPickles
I'm SO glad you posted this thread! I'm researching things all over the place trying to find something that might work for my daughter. She's 3.5. I've gotten friend referrals for Sonlight and Before Five in a Row. From what I can tell with these two...Sonlight is mostly workbook, but you have everything you need or all inclusive. I'm confused by The Before Five in a Row...as it seems story/book based? Maybe someone else can throw in their two cents on this too so I'll have more things to look up. I LOVED the free online sites and the 26 week program, but am leery thinking I won't have time to get everything together since I'm starting so late in the game. Then I begin to tell myself that it is only preschool and maybe it doesn't matter if we don't start until September! lol

C + T since 10.16.2004

August 3rd, 2010, 06:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We're really leaning toward getting Rebecca (and Elias, I guess, lol) the Horizons Preschool stuff probably next year. I've read in a number of places that Weaver Interlock is actually the exact same thing as Horizons, just Horizons gives you the workbooks, whereas you have to create things for Interlock... but I haven't seen them, so I don't really know.
August 3rd, 2010, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaPickles View Post
I'm SO glad you posted this thread! I'm researching things all over the place trying to find something that might work for my daughter. She's 3.5. I've gotten friend referrals for Sonlight and Before Five in a Row. From what I can tell with these two...Sonlight is mostly workbook, but you have everything you need or all inclusive. I'm confused by The Before Five in a Row...as it seems story/book based? Maybe someone else can throw in their two cents on this too so I'll have more things to look up. I LOVED the free online sites and the 26 week program, but am leery thinking I won't have time to get everything together since I'm starting so late in the game. Then I begin to tell myself that it is only preschool and maybe it doesn't matter if we don't start until September! lol
Yes, BFIAR is based on books. You have a book or story to read (which you can usually find at the library), and then it pulls elements from the book to give you a math lesson, science lesson, etc. When you finish one book, you move to the next one it tells you to get and do it all over again with a new math lesson, social studies lesson, etc.

You may also want to consider My Father's World. It's very hands-on for toddler/preschool. My Father's World - Toddler and Preschool
August 4th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have a DD who is 2 now and next year we will be using Horizons preschool. We use their math so I like the idea of using their preschool stuff and having them well prepared.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

August 4th, 2010, 05:56 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I am doing a combo of several of these just trying to get the letter concept across. I am just not sure why ABC's are proving to be so difficult for DD. She can't even remember them singing the song
August 5th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I like the look of Winter Promise's preK program. I havent used it, but I have used their Kdg and elementary programs and liked it.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
August 6th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
There are so many fun pre-k curricula out there. We're using Calvert (which is totally secular) with my four year old. My 2 year old is using Itty Bitty Bookworm (which is also secular). Confessions of a Homeschooler has a fun letter of the week curriculum - Confessions of a Homeschooler: Letter of the Week Curriculum but it does require a bunch of printing and assembling.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 6th, 2010, 02:06 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I don't think anyone mentioned this link. I have used some stuff from here as well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search