Had to share a little mommy brag!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2010, 04:59 PM
Regular
DD6 is finishing up 2nd grade. Although we just moved to VA, we decided to finish the year as regesterd homeschoolers in NC. In NC, you don't have to test your child till they hit 7 years old. In Va, I believe you test the first year you homechool. Well, even though we didn't need to test, I had DD6 take the simple CAT survey, the shorter one, for practice and to see where she was. She is 2 grades ahead of her peers so I wanted to make sure I wasn't be unrealistic. Well, she scored in the 98% percentile! YEP! i am so proud of her. She asked me, "Does this mean I can go to 3rd grade?" She thinks 3rd grade is so grown up!

DD15 did well too. We usually use the IOWA's (which we will use next time as I think the cheap CAT doesn't test enough), but she did the CAT too and scored 97 percentile. She is 1 grade level ahead as we skipped her a grade when i pulled her from PS.

I feel like waving it around to all those homeschool skeptics who think we don't set high enough standards for our children (something I read on another board), You don't need to teach to the test all year to get good results!
August 3rd, 2010, 05:06 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
yeah!

August 3rd, 2010, 05:07 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof2princesses View Post
You don't need to teach to the test all year to get good results!
Aaaaaaamen!
August 3rd, 2010, 06:19 PM
LisanAndy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awesome!

Is baby Aubrey Alana or Jacob Robert?!

August 3rd, 2010, 06:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Nice! Funny that she thinks 3rd grade is so grown up!

And, actually, you have to send a NOI here (in VA) for children who are 5 years old by September 30 of that school year, but you don't have to test them until they are 6 on September 30. We luck out on that one, because I'm pretty sure we'll start K the year Rebecca turns 5, but her birthday is 6 weeks after the cutoff date, so we'll be registering her as homeschooled the following year instead, and required to test her at a first grade level at the end of what will probably be her second grade year!
August 4th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Regular
We did just send in our first NOI for Virginia last week. I am glad we did the first test now so next year when we actually have to send the results in I won't be stressed that we are not on the right grade level!
August 4th, 2010, 05:50 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Awesome job!!!!!! Wtg!
August 5th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Super Mommy
I love getting test results. way to go!
August 6th, 2010, 04:50 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Awesome! We lived in VA before moving to MD the end of last year. We do a portfolio here, but did the CAT-E Survey there. Ani did it two years (1st and 2nd - I tested her at the age-mate level, not her actual level because I believe in giving the state the minimum possible). Cameron never had to take a test because we moved in May of the year he turned 6 by September 30th (so what would have been his first grade year, the first time you have to test in VA even though the NOI is sent in the year before as well), so the year we moved we didn't prove progress to anyone. It was nice getting the results back, though some of those percentile crack me up. Ani never missed a single answer, but one section was an 81st percentile. Methinks it was a bit too easy is 19% of second graders scored a perfect in that section.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search