Spin-off thread... how do you start the year?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2010, 08:52 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
No matter what time of year it is, how do you start off a new school year? Do you do anything special to make it exciting?
August 4th, 2010, 11:27 AM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
We usually do an awesome craft for Art that week. They also love putting in their new books in the "clean" desks. They also make a sign for their personal desk... They get new folders, notebooks, journals, pencils, glue..... I make sure they have new supplies to start the year. They are not missing anything. They can't wait to see what they will be learning new this year! We start Monday!

August 4th, 2010, 12:02 PM
LisanAndy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'll be having a crafts for her to do

Is baby Aubrey Alana or Jacob Robert?!

August 4th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Regular
We really just dive in! I am hoping for a not back to school picnic with our local homeschool group.
August 4th, 2010, 12:59 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
We'll be doing the picnic, and we'll also dive right into things. I've got some new stuff he hasn't seen yet, and he's upset because I won't even let him take a peek until the first day. I also take a picture.
August 4th, 2010, 01:24 PM
LisanAndy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh gosh, school pictures! I never thought of that! Thanks

Is baby Aubrey Alana or Jacob Robert?!

August 4th, 2010, 06:47 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Ack!! I forgot to do the yearly pic!! We just dove on it and went for it.
August 5th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Super Mommy
We're making a stuffed animal this year.
August 6th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We have been schooling year round and never had a first day. This year however, we totally changed gears and switched to a completely boxed curriculum. We did light school for a few weeks over the summer and then took a week off. At the end of that week (last Friday) we had a great back to school celebration. Jamie surprised the kids by taking off from work for the morning. We had a scavenger hunt around the house with the prize at the end being their new backpacks full of supplies and fun stuff. Then we went to IHOP for breakfast. When we came home a new board game - Cirkis - was set up and ready to play. It was, according to Ani, The Best Day Ever. You can read about it and see pictures on my blog “The Best Day Ever” The Duklings

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 6th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Sandra314's Avatar Homeschooling Mom
Send a message via Yahoo to Sandra314
For our first day, we plan on waking up late and having a big brunch of the boys favorites:
Mommy cakes (which is actually Coffee crumb cake baked in cupcake molds)
Fruit salad (assorted berries, banana, apples, and melon)
served with a choice of milk, tea, or lemonade.

After brunch I read aloud some of our favorite books that we read each start of the new year, "The Kissing Hand" and Brown Brown Bear, what do you see?" I can remember in years past making Kissing Hand cookies with my oldest son and I look forward to making some this year with my youngest!

We set out the new school year’s books and materials for the boys to look through. We talk about what each the books will help us on with our unit studies and with topics that we will learn about during the year.

We have a light day of school day and afterwards we go out on a field trip to Woodlawn lake for a picnic, walk and to feed the ducks there. The lake is so beautiful at sunset. It is an inspiration for us to look forward to our Nature Studies this year!

Upon returning home, we stop by to rent a family movie (usually one with animals in it like Homeward Bound) to watch and we have a big family dinner in celebration of our first day!

Married for 14+ years to the love of my life. Currently TTCing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search