Book Recommendations for 5th grade girl?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 30th, 2010, 02:51 PM
My daughter is 10 years old and loves to read!
She doesn't like to challenge herself though and I would love to have
a recommendation of a series that will just "pull her in" and keep her attention for awhile,
but will challenge her! Any thoughts?!

She has already read so many of the series, but there has got to be some I am missing, maybe an older one I haven't thought of?!

She just read Trumpet of the Swan in 2 nights, and LOVED it!
That may give you a gauge of what Level she is at?
Not advanced, but not behind either.

Thanks in advance!!!!!
tara
September 30th, 2010, 03:21 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Let me reach out to someone who has an avid reader about that age. I have young boys, so I have no clue what to tell you.
September 30th, 2010, 03:50 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
what about Judy Blume books?
Babysitter Club books?
Sweet Valley Twins?
They also have tons of Disney show books that are about 150 pages or so....
What about the older Little house on the Prairie books?

just a few suggestion. My dd is in 3rd grade, but is at a 5th grade level.. So those are the type of books she reads....

September 30th, 2010, 03:51 PM
thank you so much!!!
What I meant by the series she has read: Little House, Ramona, Main Street, Doll People Series, Allie Finkle, American Girl, Babysitters Club, Nancy Drew, Sisters Grimm and so many more....

She doesn't like really any Harry Potter type stuff!

Last edited by tarapollardpakosta; September 30th, 2010 at 03:56 PM.
September 30th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I wish I still had all of my old BSC books. I bet they'd be worth money now. The fashion styles have changed a lot since the 80's. I remember when there were only a few books in the series. Now there are a zillion.
September 30th, 2010, 04:05 PM
We always got our books from the library when I was little!
But I do wonder what those would be worth!??! tara
October 1st, 2010, 05:46 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
What about some of the more traditional books? Like Charlotte's Web, Tuck Everlasting, Sarah, Plain and Tall, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, etc?
October 1st, 2010, 07:10 AM
Here are some more responses for you (I knew this board had several readers on it). http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f4...ns-please.html (Book recommendations, please.)
October 1st, 2010, 08:43 AM
Super Mommy
I book-a-like Miguel's favorite books. Here's their suggestions that are on the same level you can adjust the level to challenge her a little.
October 1st, 2010, 08:49 AM
Does book-a-like only give titles by Scholastic? I can't remember. I think they do.
October 1st, 2010, 09:14 AM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
what about christian fiction books? I don't know if you are a Christian or not, but Beverly Lewis has some great girl fiction books about amish. There are also the Mandie books.

October 1st, 2010, 09:18 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Does book-a-like only give titles by Scholastic?
I don't think so because it gives the Percy Jason series.
October 1st, 2010, 02:59 PM
We did read Charlotte's Web & those other ones, but NOT Sarah, plain & tall ! That is on my list now! She did read all the Little House, Babysitter and Judy Blume books. I am going to check some of those links!!! She can read a 150 page book in about an hour or so. I want her to be challenged and start reading more like 200-300 page books, she can read above her grade level, she just doesn't like to!!! Sometimes she is lazy!!! Off to check out the suggestions! I like the idea of CHristian Fiction, I just don't know of anything good?!
I will check out the Mandie books!!! thank you everyone!!!!!!
tara
October 1st, 2010, 03:42 PM
I LOVE the Book Alike thing! what a great site! THANK YOU!
tara
October 2nd, 2010, 03:39 AM
Veteran
Not sure if you have them in America, but John Marsden writes awesome books. The "Tomorrow When the War Began" series is amazing, and has just been made into a movie.

If that is a bit too old for her, then Roald Dahl books are great. Matilda, The Twits, BFG.
October 2nd, 2010, 05:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Authors to look for:

Kit Pearson
Jean Little
Bill Myers (the Forbidden Doors series is one you'll want to preread though, as it can be scary, so PG)
Janette Oke
Frank Peretti (kids series called The Cooper Kids)
Janet Lunn
October 2nd, 2010, 06:33 PM
thank you all~ I wrote down a list for Amazon and the library!!! LOVE THIS SITE! thank YOU so much! tara
October 4th, 2010, 04:45 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I would suggest checking out Book Adventure. The link I have you going to takes you to their reading list by grade/reading level. She can also take tests on there about the books she reads and earn point to get a prize!
October 7th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Super Mommy
Looks like you got great suggestions here! My daughter is 10 and she really enjoyed reading Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell. It's a true story of a 12 year old Indian girl who is abandoned on a Pacific island (what is now San Nicolas) and has to learn to survive on her own until she is finally rescued 18 years later. The book received the John Newbery Medal. It's about 185 pages long, which includes the author's note at the end of the story describing the rescue of "The lost woman of San Nicolas". It was scheduled as a Read Aloud in her 5th grade curriculum, but DD is a strong, independent reader and was able to read it on her own. Might be a nice challenge for your DD too? Best wishes to you!
October 7th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Tofu Bacon
What about the Anne of Green Gables series? Also, I'm not sure of they are still in print, but I loved the Choose Your Own Adventure series!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search