homeschooling a preschooler?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 23rd, 2011, 10:14 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
hello i am new here, not to JM but this board. anyways i was wondering does anyone homeschool their toddler or maby have in the past? my dd raleigh who will be four in june was withdrawn from her school two days ago. its a long story but to sum it up she has major sleep issues and it was really taking a toll on her at preschool so after talking to her teachers and her dad we have decided to homeschool her until she will start kindergarten. she will be having a sleep study done in the next couple weeks so i was hoping we could hold out long enough to have that done but after six months of preschool we dont see any changes and dont think its a good idea to keep her there for now. i was looking for any tips, what should i do? i dont know how to go about homeschooling? are there any good websites with any information?

thank you,
vannessa
March 23rd, 2011, 10:32 PM
Veteran
Hi! I'm not quite technically a homeschooler, but if you check out my blog you will see the sorts of things that I do with my little ones, and IMO, child led is the way to go at this age. As long as you are reading, conversing, counting and sorting, as well as doing some play and fine/gross motor skills, she will be fine

The ladies here have a lot of great ideas. Homeschooling a preschooler is a lot of fun. As for the sleep issues, I'm not quite sure what your little one is going through, but my Mia had sleep apnea from enlarged tonsils and adenoids and once she had surgery she was a different girl! Less tantrums, speech became clearer, immune system stronger, concentration better.

Welcome!

Check out my blog: http://sproutschool.wordpress.com/
March 24th, 2011, 04:55 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I homeschool all four of mine including my 2 and 4 year olds. If you go to my blog (link in siggy), you can click on the topics under the School label for the various age levels to see stuff we do and use.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

March 24th, 2011, 06:10 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I'm homeschooling mine, too. What you do for a preschooler depends on what the next step will be for them. If you want to continue homeschooling, you can teach anything you want. If the ultimate goal is a typical classroom setting (public or private kinder/1st), you'll need to make sure you don't get so far ahead that the child would be bored and cause a disruption, and you need to teach classroom behaviors (like waiting your turn to go to the bathroom, sitting criss-cross-applesauce, etc.). You can work on group behaviors by joining local recreation facility classes, going to storytime at the library, etc.

As for what to teach, keep the instruction time to a minimum and the playtime to a maximum. Don't spend more than 30 minutes per day working on pre-reading and pre-math skills. You can play with the skills (reading together, matching shapes in a game, playing Candyland or Chutes & Ladders, cooking together in the kitchen, etc.), but don't spend very long sitting down and "instructing" formally.

For math and reading skills, take a look at Brightly Beaming Resources, Starfall's Learn to Read with phonics, Leapfrog DVDs and products, Progressive Phonics - Progressive Phonics, and things like that. You can get little workbooks at walmart if you have a "workbooky" child, but don't use workbooks otherwise. For handwriting and motor skills, do lots of art projects, play with Legos, play with play-doh, and "write" using shaving cream in the tub, rice in a cookie sheet, etc. and your finger as a pencil. Do lots of coloring and drawing as well.

Good luck!! Let us know how it's going and if you have any other questions.
March 24th, 2011, 12:08 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My 4 yo DD does a few sheets of her "comprehensive curriculum of basic skills" preschool book every day or 2. And we read books and she likes to sing the ABC song. She likes to try to write her name on the magna doodle and likes it when I make words with "dots" on the magna doodle for her to trace. That's the kind of thing we do. I want to start having her learn the letters (which we may also do on the magna doodle, lol). I have some magnet letters, too. We mostly just count to 10 in her books "1 butterfly, 2 butterflies..."

[/url]

March 24th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Preschool age imo, is the most fun(not that any other age isn't fun) but, mostly because it brings us back to that level. You know the desire to want to learn, to truly have fun with learning and in most cases learning without even realizing it.
It's also the most critical age, imo-whether you are going the homeschool route or not. It's a good time to foster a love for learning, because as kiddos age, that desire could fluctuate up and down like crazy.
My kids never attended a preschool mostly because of Alyssia's health issues. Ok that and my inability to let them go, lol.
But we've always done a lot of stuff at home. Personally I would leave it as unstructured and child led as you possibly can. Find out what she wants to learn, know, study and then go with it. In time you'll cover all your basic fundamentals without even trying. Hands on learning is the absolute best(at least for my kids) so we try to stick with that, even beyond preschool age.
We tend to use a lot of manipulatives, visuals and such. Most objects can be turned into a manipulative.
ANYTHING can be turned into a "lesson" at that age(true for most ages as well). A simple trip to the grocery store can cover math, language arts, social skills, health, technology(explaining how registers work-hey they're pretty nifty when you're little, lol). I'm sure you get the picture. Walks outside, or visits to a park can easily cover a lot of subjects too.
Worksheets are nice, if your child likes them. Mine did, and didn't, they all had their moments. But there are tons of sites with printables. We're big into the color by number ones here right now. When my kiddos were preschool age they were big into the letter pages and mini books.
I would never personally buy a preschool curriculum, because there are so many free resources out there, I don't find them necessary(at least for us). You can find worksheets, lesson plans, ideas and such all over the web without it costing you a dime. Pbskids.org is an awesome website, especially if your child already watches those shows. My kids all love it, even the 12 yr old, lol. Leo's computer skills aren't that great, but he does awesome with the games and stuff on there and a couple other sites. I think it's a good idea to get kids started on computers at a younger age, because they will need the skills at some point.

My best advice is to make it fun and let your child lead the way. They're pretty good at letting us know what they know, and what they want to know. Dollar stores carry a lot of things that could help you too. A trip down the school isles could prove to be very beneficial for you both. You can let her pick out workbooks, supplies, things that interest her..on a limited budget.(I tend to go for things that are less costly, personally, so I really love our Dollar Tree, it's got some fantastic resources for little ones especially).
March 24th, 2011, 08:31 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Check out Confessions of a Homeschooler We have used some things from that site, actually we use a combination of things right now, but I do tend to get a lot from there. I really like the letters that she has and DD colors each one as we go over that particular letter and then she is going through seed catalogs and cuts out/pastes corresponding pictures to that letter. If learning how to write letters/practice writing them is something that your child needs to do, then I would suggest checking into getting a laminator. I got one for under $20 off of Amazon and I use it all the time. I laminate her name that she practices, letters, numbers, etc.
March 24th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Veteran
Ohh, just a little side note on Confessions of a Homeschooler -

1. If you purchase the Letter of the Week printables from her, ($10), make sure you save them straight away - I forgot and its a limited timeframe before she deletes your link. So I lost it.

2. It's very religious. J is for Jesus. Just so you know.

Check out my blog: http://sproutschool.wordpress.com/
March 25th, 2011, 08:37 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassiegirl View Post
Ohh, just a little side note on Confessions of a Homeschooler -

1. If you purchase the Letter of the Week printables from her, ($10), make sure you save them straight away - I forgot and its a limited timeframe before she deletes your link. So I lost it.

2. It's very religious. J is for Jesus. Just so you know.
I will have to remember that if I end up buying her letter of the week, I have just been using some of the free printables and going from there on my own and we are doing great with it.
March 27th, 2011, 12:23 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
thank you for the advice and all the links.
March 29th, 2011, 12:57 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm totally stealing....umm, I mean borrowing these ideas! Thanks!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search