School Shooting

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2011, 09:51 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Well, it finally happened, there was a school shooting in a small little town north of here. This place is not the calm little town that they would like to make people think they are. When I was in high school, we always had police security at the games because they are a very racial intolerant group of people. Now, they no longer even play against the schools there. Anyway, it happened at a MIDDLE SCHOOL of all places and over a girl no less. The girl tried to tell school officials that something bad was going to happen but they wouldn't listen to her. They have the shooter in custody and reports on the victim are conflicting. Some say he is still in surgery and others say he didn't make it. I have a friend who has a daughter that goes there and they are all pretty shook up. They are dismissing all the kids today from there in a bit. They also haven't found the gun that was used yet either.
I just don't get it. I just don't understand how people can think that is the way to solve anything. What kind of upbringing this kid had to think it was ok to do that and the schools for not listening to the girl. The schools claim to not tolerate violence, but when they dont listen to a kid say something is going to happen and when they dont listen when they are told of bullying they ARE tolerating violence! It just upsets me so much to hear that. I was bullied when I was in school and I told but it just made things worse for me when I did. My DD was in as well when she was in school and we talked to the school about it, and this happened at a private Lutheran school, and they didn't really do anything for her either. Why??? Why do they allow such things to happen? Why cant they take a firmer stance on it and really mean zero tolerance?? I know, no one can answer that. I just needed to get that out and it just reminds me again why I am so thankful to be homeschooling my kids!!
March 25th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
The people in charge are, in many cases, afraid of some of the kids.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

March 25th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_mommy View Post
I am so thankful to be homeschooling my kids!!
It seems that this behavior in school is escalating. That's merely my impression from the reports I hear these days compared to earlier days or is it only just in recent years that the media started reporting on bullying? Murders, suicides, violent physical attacks, severely disturbing emotional abuse and manipulation. It was bad enough when I was at school while nothing to this degree went on and yet it was enough for DH and I to not want to risk our children going through, even knowing this is not the experience of every child. This is not the reason for us homeschooling but I admit it would have been enough of a reason for us personally all by itself.
March 25th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Schools in general often boast zero tolerance policies, but rarely(if ever) enforce them 100%. Unfortunately, as much as I don't want to admit it, parents make it hard for schools to enforce it. They deem the reasons their child got in trouble as "stupid" all too often, and end up causing issues for the school, their child, and all of the attendees of that school. More often than not parents are the biggest reason why schools cannot enforce a zero tolerance policy. It's actually quite dumb if you ask me. No school should ever feel as if they cannot enforce a zero tolerance policy, if they have one in place.
Don't get me wrong, I hold schools just as responsible as parents for not making these zero tolerance policies effective. I know there is more they could do too, and just choose not to. I've just seen firsthand why they are ineffective in many schools. It really sucks. On one hand you've got bullies that even the authorities in the school are fearful of, on another hand you've got parents who the authorities don't want to create even more problems when their "precious" gets in trouble. I've seen some of these parents, they scare me too! The kids who do get to feel the wrath of a zero tolerance policy could easily create as many problems, or more, once dealt with too.
I've never understood zero tolerance policies for THAT reason. They cannot be fully enforced, I've never seen them fully enforced, either. I've seen them partially enforced, mostly enforced, rarely enforced, etc.. but never fully. Too many variables, and in the end the children will pay

I too am glad my children won't be put in that sort of situation. We've already dealt with bullying. Alyssia got a heck of a lot of it when she was in kindergarten and first grade especially. In kindergarten because of her having her mic-key, mostly. Why kids would find something to tease about that is beyond me, they couldn't even see it, lol. But she also had to bring formula to school for lunch. If she was sick, or during regression periods, I'd have to come in to feed her. So, yeah she got a lot of stupid comments. In first grade she had just gotten the mic-key removed right before school started. So she wasn't allowed much rough play, no gym, and that's also the year a lot of her quirks started showing their faces. Suffice to say, we've dealt with some nasty bullies. Rarely, if ever, was anything done about it. A stern talking to, is not enough, and is NOT enforcing that zero tolerance policy. A detention after school, is NOT enough, either. But I digress....it's a good thing I don't get to choose the discipline these kids get. If I did, it would fit the crime.
March 25th, 2011, 04:51 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Zero tolerance doesn't mean they go looking for trouble. It just means they get rid of it if they happen to see it with their own eyes.
March 26th, 2011, 10:19 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
The boy who was shot survived his surgery.
March 26th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Veteran
How terrible!

Our school is just starting Restorative Practice. Some of the toughest schools in the world (inner London, LA, Philidelphia, etc.) have had fantastic success with it because it's a whole community approach. Google it if you are interested. It's much better in the long run that just punitive punishments. It's a long term mind-set changing philosophy.

Check out my blog: http://sproutschool.wordpress.com/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search