How does the general public view homeschooling where you live?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2011, 08:50 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Do you think state law has any bearing on the public's view?

The reason I ask is that the homeschooling law is basically non-existent in Texas. No testing, no letters of intent, no ... anything. Homeschooling is very popular, and for the most part, people don't care what you do as long as your kid learns the basics to get a job when they turn 18.
March 26th, 2011, 09:05 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
IN is also pretty laid back as well. More and more people are turning to it as what is going on in the schools around here. In the county we are in right now, the school board just let go of 78 positions within the school and 68 of those were teachers and the others were administrative positions. They have eliminated PE, art, and music.
March 26th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Veteran
It's not very popular here. The position for Home School State Supervisor was just advertised in the newpaper on the weekend - it was only 2-3 days per week position for the whole state, if that gives you an idea of how many people homeschool.

There are a few who switched to homeschooling when the Steiner school shut down. There's also a few who HS because of distance (those who can't afford the boarding schools) and those with special needs.

Check out my blog: http://sproutschool.wordpress.com/
March 27th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Homeschooling is very popular around here. It is looked at positively by the schools even, at least in the county I live in. The same person has been doing the homeschooling reviews in our county for years (he is the principal of the alternative school options). He loves homeschooling and homeschoolers and I think that is really why there's such a positive opinion of it in general here. The law doesn't have any bearing (we have portfolio reviews up to three times a year where they make sure we are teaching something in all the subjects to our kids) because it is state-wide and some counties in MD definitely do NOT have a positive opinion of homeschooling that my county does.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

March 27th, 2011, 07:32 AM
mommybugnbugga's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Only in the past month has homeschooling started getting a bad light here in FL. Before that the overall public opinion was kind of "whatever". But they are looking at revising the homeschool laws because of the two little kids that were adopted from the foster care system and basically tortured and killed by the parents. All of the cases in FL about homeschooling in the past few years have been negative and they have been about kids adopted from the foster system and how they have abused and neglected while the parents were saying they were "homeschooling them". So now the overall public opinion is becomming (quickly I might add) that homeschool parents abuse and neglect their kids while not teaching them anything.

March 27th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Umm, people think it's weird.

"You live in the city, why do you bother with homeschool, we have schools here" @@
Even some of the school board people think it's weird that we're not using *their e-school. The whole point was to take my kids OUT of this district, not slap them back in it from home, lol.

I don't really know about the state, other than what other people have told us. In more rural areas, obviously, it's not frowned upon. I live smack dab in suburbia, surrounded by rural areas, lol. So yeah, we're weird. Although there are 25 other families in this town alone also using OHVA, so that should tell you a lot about this district. We don't have options here. There's a Catholic school, but that's about it. Open enrollment to other districts is possible, but rarely used because of the distance to them-and there is no transportation of course.
The state does make it rather difficult on HS families though. I mean with their requirements. Moreso local superintendents than anything else. Because each district gets to decide what's "acceptable" and what's not, not the state. So it can be a royal pain for many, I have noticed. Some breeze right through with no issues, but they are the exception, not the rule. I, obviously, don't have to deal with that this year, thankfully. So all I know is what others' experiences have been. Locally though, we're just plain weird...and I can fully accept that
March 28th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Tofu Bacon
In our circle its quite common, but as for the rest of the area, its not common at all.
March 28th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I live in OK so we are in the best state in the US to homeschool (it is written in our state constitution that we can homeschool). It is quite common here and widely excepted.

March 29th, 2011, 12:52 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Only in the past month has homeschooling started getting a bad light here in FL. Before that the overall public opinion was kind of "whatever". But they are looking at revising the homeschool laws because of the two little kids that were adopted from the foster care system and basically tortured and killed by the parents. All of the cases in FL about homeschooling in the past few years have been negative and they have been about kids adopted from the foster system and how they have abused and neglected while the parents were saying they were "homeschooling them". So now the overall public opinion is becomming (quickly I might add) that homeschool parents abuse and neglect their kids while not teaching them anything.
I'm sobbing reading this! We just finalized Ellie's adoption in January. This breaks my heart!! It's obviously NOT a homeschooling problem! It's a foster care problem! They need to do a better job of protecting those kids! Obviously those people never should have been allowed to adopt period!!

Okay....climbing down off soap box....drying tears now.

As you know, our expirience with homeschooling is very, very limited at this point. But I have to admit I've been pleasantly suprised by how well supported it seems to be here. The regulations don't seem to be too complicated or over restrictive. People's additudes have been overwhelmingly positive so far. (except for her preschool but they don't support much of anything) Of course preschool doesn't really count. If we decide to continue beyond that maybe it'll be different. I don't know.
March 30th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
In Ohio the rules to homeschool are crazy. Have to have no less than 960 (i believe) teaching hours, the school district has the right to deny your curriculum, and more... We went with the K12 public school option. Partly cause it's free but also because since it's a public school option, we didn't have to worry about all the paperwork involved.
As far as public opinion, I haven't had anyone say anything negative about it. A lot of people tell me I'm a saint for homeschooling my son (only one is homeschooled at the moment) and they wish they could do it. I almost hate to tell them that he is almost entirely self directed.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
March 30th, 2011, 09:49 AM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamma_anna View Post
I'm sobbing reading this! We just finalized Ellie's adoption in January. This breaks my heart!! It's obviously NOT a homeschooling problem! It's a foster care problem! They need to do a better job of protecting those kids! Obviously those people never should have been allowed to adopt period!!
DITTO!! Oh my goodness, that is HORRIBLE. I didn't hear about that. Those poor kids!!!!! Yeah, that has nothing to do with homeschooling, it's a foster care problem. My goodness, they need to be careful who they send this precious children to!

Anyway, it seems to me like there is a decent number of homeschoolers around here, but it may be b/c I know about them. We are definitely still on the "odd" side, but I have never gotten rude comments at all. In fact, some people have told me that my kids are better behaved than the "brats" (or what have u) at the public school, and that "more people should homeschool" (!!)... the guy who is working on our house said that. When I'm out during school hours and someone asks why the kids aren't in school (which doesn't usually happen, to be honest), they just say "Ohhh OK" or something when I say we homeschool. I'm sure some other people look down on it when they hear we homeschool, but they never comment on it, which I appreciate.

Also, I was almost expecting some opposition from the school district b/c I have heard horror stories about them being really nitpicky or trying to throw their weight around in NY. But with the school district where I live, they are very nice and I never have any problem. I even started school really late this year b/c we were moving and I didn't lie about it. I just wrote a comment saying why we were unable to start school until October and I said I was aware that I would have to try to make up for it, etc. They had zero problem with it. I was SO relieved.

[/url]

Last edited by TaraJo29; March 30th, 2011 at 09:55 AM.
March 30th, 2011, 09:58 AM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2princes2princesses View Post
In Ohio the rules to homeschool are crazy. Have to have no less than 960 (i believe) teaching hours, the school district has the right to deny your curriculum, and more... We went with the K12 public school option. Partly cause it's free but also because since it's a public school option, we didn't have to worry about all the paperwork involved.
As far as public opinion, I haven't had anyone say anything negative about it. A lot of people tell me I'm a saint for homeschooling my son (only one is homeschooled at the moment) and they wish they could do it. I almost hate to tell them that he is almost entirely self directed.
I was just looking into this K12 option yesterday. That's awesome that u don't have to do paperwork! Just wondering... how old is your son? I didn't know if my soon-to-be 8 yr old and 7 yr old could handle that much reading online and self-direction...

[/url]

March 30th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My son is 8. This is his first year homeschooling and he's doing GREAT!! There's the option to do it less self directed, he's just more comfortable with not having to verbally answer questions and stuff. K12 is very adaptable for parent involvement and stuff. We really like it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
March 30th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We're not schooling yet, and I know there are a lot of homeschoolers in the area, but the feedback we get from most people is either "it's a great option for elementary school (ONLY)" or "you're only their mom, you can't teach them everything they need to know" lol. There are also a lot of people who are very supportive. I think DH's parents are in the "wait and see what happens, and then we'll be minimally supportive, IF they succeed" crowd though. *sigh*
April 3rd, 2011, 02:29 PM
KeriMomof2's Avatar Veteran
I think for some that laws in thier state could alter thier choice on whether that choose to home-school.
I live in Florida and I feel for the most part it is stric
t enough and yet laid back enough ~> We do have to put in a letter of intent and have either testing or evaluations done at the end of the year but I have the freedom to choose how my kids learn and what
*Keri*I am a Co-sleeping ...Retired-EBF'er "8+years total"...No-circumcision... Non-Vaxing...Home-schooling/Road-schooling ~> College Student Momma, Who loves Blogging<~click to View O' and did I mention I am now a Avon Sales Rep ? www.youravon.com/Keri
April 3rd, 2011, 10:50 PM
Super Mommy
Not really.

I've home-schooled in Ohio and West Virgina. I really feel OH was a lot easier because they allow the cat-e home test. WV does not, both states require education-ness. The general population just asks "Isn't that hard?" my usual answer "As hard as parenting." then it's a moot point.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search