Grades

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2011, 08:59 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Do you do give out grades? If so, what age did you begin?

I do not give out grades. I do not count things wrong either, unless it is a test. Then I mark if something is wrong and then they have to go back and correct it, but they are bot allowed to erase. Regular work, we just correct whatever is wrong and move on.
March 27th, 2011, 05:54 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I don't do grades either unless he specifically asks for one. (Like pages that come with a scoring area built in.)
March 27th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We started giving grades when we started with Calvert last summer. The kids LOVE getting their report cards.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

March 27th, 2011, 07:27 AM
mommybugnbugga's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We do for a couple of reasons. First off my dd loves to be able to "see" how she is doing (she is very visual sometimes) and the other reason is *IF* (and it is a BIG if) she were to return to a "regular" school here, having grades and the examples of work to back those grades up makes grade placement easier. because of how fast and well she has been working, she will be finishing 3rd grad when here school age peers will be starting 3rd grade. By having the grades to back up that she has been able to do the work, *if* she were to go back in they wouldn't just put her in the grade based on her age or require her to under go a TON of testing.

March 27th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Nope, their progress on a certain subject is logged online. But also we talk about how they're doing, how they can do better, things we need to work on, things we can put off for a while because they're doing so well in.. etc, all the time. So they always know where they stand on a subject.
I don't give out grades because I don't have to, basically.

If I saw the need to, I would though. Having the visual reminder can be a great help for some, both kids and parents.
March 27th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Sandra314's Avatar Homeschooling Mom
Send a message via Yahoo to Sandra314
We do not record/do grades because the boys are in the early grade levels still. We chart their progress though.

Married for 14+ years to the love of my life. Currently TTCing.
March 28th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We aren't doing grades this year but I think that next year we will. I plan on doing a 60/40 split with grades 60% of the final will be daily assignments, and 40% will be tests. so if they turn in all their homework then they are quaranteed a 60% even if they get 0's on all their tests (so not going to happen). So say their test average is 93% and they turned in all assignments then their final grade would be: 60 + (93% of 40) 37.2= 97.2 for the final grade in that subject. As they hit the older grades (junior high and highschool) the percentages will change probably become 60/40 with tests being more or even 70/30 with tests being the 70%.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

March 29th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Veteran
I don't give grades but I'm teaching Kindergarten so there is nothing really to grade.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search