looking to homeschool

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2011, 05:23 PM
~Katie~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello everyone, my name is Katie and I have been around JM for awhile now. I have an 11 year old dd who is in the 6th grade and am looking to pull her out and homeschool her. The problem is I have no idea where to begin, we are military and move a lot.

So if I could here some stories on how you all started, by what you have to do for whatever state you live in, and how to come up with criteria, where to find and buy.

She is also and A-B student.

Thank you all so much
April 4th, 2011, 06:21 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
You can find state laws here: HSLDA | Home School Laws

I'm in TX, so there are little to no requirements, and I've never pulled a child out of PS before. We've been HS'ing from the start. Someone else will have to chime in on their experiences with that. Some states require a 2 week notice, some don't require any notice, but all will require some type of letter stating your reason for pulling a child out of their district (whether it's moving away or homeschooling or a medical emergency or whatever).

As for curriculum, that really depends on the direction you'd like to take her. Will you want something strictly secular, strictly Christian, neither, or doesn't matter? Will you want to do a "school at home" approach with lots of writing, worksheets, busy work, etc., or will you want to be more open to hands-on activities and independent learning?

At the 6th grade level, you can expect it to take (give or take) 3 hours a day to homeschool. A good rule of thumb is 30 minutes per grade level, but that varies a lot based on the curriculum you choose, the speed/attitude/ability of the child, and the number of extras you decide to dive into. You may choose to do things like science and social studies 2-3 times per week while doing math and english everyday. If she's the type who really LOVES history, though, you'll find yourself spending much more time diving into that subject, and you can even dove-tail it into science (history of discoveries or scientists) or English (how to write a research paper with proper grammar and such).

Some states have specific requirements about which subjects HAVE to be taught, so be sure to look at that. Some also have requirements about yearly standarized testing, portfolio reviews, and the level of education required of the parent.

What state will you be homeschooling in? Ask all the questions you want. We won't bite. Depending on the area, we may also be able to help you locate some local homeschool groups for social interaction, co-op classes, field trips, etc.

Last edited by BensMom; April 4th, 2011 at 06:23 PM.
April 4th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Super Mommy
I get a lot of my stuff from rainbow resource or directly from the company. The only subjects I'm required to teach is Language arts, math, science, and social studies. I have to turn in a letter of intent, with a curriculum outline and last years test / portfolio review by June 30th. I think it's fairly easy here. Welcome.
April 5th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Thank you ladies, We are VA. We are having some issues at her ps and it's not doing her any good being there anymore. I would like to add some Christian into it. I guess I was assuming I would have to do math, english, everything she does at school. And I do ask a lot of questions when I think of them, lol!!! Sometimes I feel like the question lady.....
April 5th, 2011, 07:47 AM
can you chose what you want to teach them? Or do you have to use what the state tells you?
April 5th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Super Mommy
From reading VA laws it seems like you have to give them a curriculum list of what subjects and curriculum you'll use. There's no required subjects but passing an annual test or portfolio is required. There are people that have/do live in VA that can probably answer better.
April 5th, 2011, 02:58 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Yes, I'll let one of the VA folks give you more specifics, but in general, you teach HOW you want to teach, even when the state tells you WHAT to teach. For example, if they just tell you to teach science, you can teach life sciences, earth sciences, etc., and you can teach them from a Christian or secular perspective using books as a guide, but not necessarily as your only source of information (do field trips or classes or whatever). If you're told to teach U.S. Civics, you're fairly limited in the scope, because that's not as broad of a content area, and there are only so many ways to approach it. Does that make sense?
April 5th, 2011, 09:03 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Welcome Katie!! The first step is that you need to review the laws for VA to know exactly what you need to do. You can also find local groups to find out more info on how they handle the state requirements. Will you be moving soon? It would be a good idea to know what the state requirements are before you move in case something has to be filed with the school board or whatever.
A lot of curriculum have placement tests, so you will know what level to put her at. Do you have any clues as to anything that you might be interested in going with?
April 6th, 2011, 04:52 AM
we are not moving any time soon, that was another reason to hs right now for her. I know I want her to get her basics along with like home ec type of stuff, with some christian into as well.

I have been looking up the laws, I think I need to send a copy of my hs diploma and a letter to the super in our area and I have to submit a curriculum.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search