Considering homeschooling

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2011, 07:29 AM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello everyone. I have 4 children and lately with all of the school funding crisis my husband has been suggesting that we home school. This is surprising because in the past he's always been against it. I have no problem with it; I was home schooled from grades 2-6. Jumping and homeschooling 3 children right off the bat is a little scary though!

I don't know much about the laws, etc but I've been talking to a friend of mine who is home schooling her daughters and she said that her in TX the laws are pretty lax and they don't try to tell you what to do at all. I'm going to talk to her some more and some other home schooling friends that I have.

I'll be lurking here some and may jump in with a question from time to time. Do you have any advice for a newbie? Things I should consider?

I know that I won't have much money for curriculum. While I would love to get a boxed curriculum, that's just not in the budget. Also, I know my parents didn't do that and I seem to have turned out just fine! I'll probably get a book here and there over the next couple of months and utilize a lot of online and printable things.

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com
April 5th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It is pretty easy to homeschool in TX, Chrystal (the host) is from there and she can fill you in with more info.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

April 5th, 2011, 01:47 PM
mommybugnbugga's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First of all welcome! As far as curriculum goes, I ended up piecing mine together. I found different publishers that fit my daughter's learning style. And since we are on a tight budget, before I purchased anything directly from the publishers, I went to e-bay and searched. I got some amazing deals. Some new and some used. Although the used were all in like new condition. I ended up getting her entire "3rd" grade currciulum for less than $250. If you aren't planning to start until the fall, I would suggest looking around at curriculum to see what you may like. Then go to ebay, you may find a heck of a deal. Also, I am learning this is the perfect time to be shopping for curriculum. These next few months alot of publishers have sales going on.

April 5th, 2011, 04:05 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
WELCOME! Yes, I'm in the Austin area. Where are you? There is a LOT you can do for free, so don't stress too much just yet. What grades will you be doing this fall? What sort of teaching style do you want to use? Do you prefer workbooks, hands-on, an unschooling approach, or what? Since you mentioned boxed sets, I'm going to assume you'll want textbooks/workbooks, at least as a guide, right? Do you have a preference for whether the content is religious or not (a lot of religion, some, or none)?

Relax... you have plenty of time to explore the options and get ready for fall. Homeschooling in TX is extremely easy as far as the law is concerned. You'll need to formally withdraw the ones who are already in school, but you won't have to notify anyone when you start younger ones in kindergarten later. You're required to teach math, spelling, good citizenship, and things like that, but those things are NEVER checked on unless there's a deeper issue at stake (like child abuse).

Let me know where you are exactly (by pm, if you're not comfortable posting that), and I'll help you find local support groups as well. Is your friend already in a group? Are her kids roughly the same ages as yours?
April 5th, 2011, 10:15 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Welcome!!! I will let Chrystal fill you in on the TX laws. For budget issues, a lot of us get our stuff used, some things you do have to get new. You can check out Ebay, Amazon.com, and there are some other websites that people list their curriculum for sale. When do you plan on starting, this fall? Maybe you could start a bit sooner and start off with one and then add another kid until you have all 3 going just to give yourself a few weeks to build up to doing them all at once.
April 6th, 2011, 05:59 AM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok, I'm going to try to answer all of your questions, but if I miss one, just ask again!
I plan to use mostly textbooks/workbooks at first to ease me into it since I feel like I don't know what I'm doing. Some religion in the curriculum is fine but not required; we are Christians and attend church.

My kids will be K, 2, and 4 grades this coming up year. I plan to start during the summer to get a head start. It's so hot here you can't go outside anyway.

My friends who are homeschooling do have kids close to the ages of my kids! One has a daughter the same age as mine, one has a daughter who is one grade under my daughter, one has two daughters who are in the same grades as my two oldest, and one has a son who is the age of my oldest son, but he was held back in Kindergarten so they aren't in the same grade level. Not only do all of these children know my children and are friends, but most of them know each other and two are cousins! I know our library has a homeschool program once a week and the local homeschoolers seem to enjoy that.

Oh, and I have a printer, so I don't mind printing off things to use!

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search