a little intro

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2011, 06:58 AM
~Katie~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
since I am really considering this I thought I would give a little info on myself...

Like I said I'm Katie 32 and my dh is AD Army and we are in VA. I am pregnant with my 6th child, but my 11 yr old dd is the only one I am planning on homeschooling. And if there is anything you all want to know, ask
April 5th, 2011, 12:49 PM
mommybugnbugga's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome!

April 5th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Hello, and welcome

I'm Michelle, I have three little, ok maybe not so little, ones.

Alexis is 12 and is in 6th grade, Alyssia will be 10 this month and is in 4th grade, and Leo is 7 and doing mostly first grade, but we've recently moved up to 2nd grade in a few subjects because he finished them way early, and needs something to occupy his time

They were in PS up until this past December, when I took them out. Now we go through OHVA using the K12 curriculum. It's made a world of difference for us all, in so many ways. We absolutely love it and the kids are flourishing being able to learn how, and what they like, in a place they are 100% comfy. Makes those rough spots not so rough, you know? I don't think they'll be going back to PS anytime soon. I certainly don't plan on it, and neither do they. But we may change our curriculum over the years, adapt to whatever the kids need/want at the time.
I'm one of those who needs to homeschool on a very tight budget(hence the K12 through OHVA for now, as it's free) But we add in our own stuff too, all stuff I find on the net. That's one of our favorite things to do together, find things we want to learn about. It really helps a lot, for my kids anyway, that they have a say in what they will be learning. I think it helps hold their attention at least a *little bit more, lol. They are still kids though.
This spring weather has been a total distraction-well that and their colds. We can't wait for much warmer weather so we can do more of our learning outdoors.
April 5th, 2011, 03:07 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Welcome, again! Ask all the questions you want!

I probably missed it on the other thread, but why are you only homeschooling one? (Not that it matters... a lot of people do that... I'm just being nosy. )
April 5th, 2011, 03:38 PM
no, it's ok Chrystal....we are going through a little bullying issues at her school and she just isn't as happy as she use to be and its hard to see your child come home every week and cry.

My other children go to different schools and they are doing very well.
April 5th, 2011, 07:05 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
That stinks.
April 5th, 2011, 09:06 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Welcome to the board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Katie~ View Post
no, it's ok Chrystal....we are going through a little bullying issues at her school and she just isn't as happy as she use to be and its hard to see your child come home every week and cry.

My other children go to different schools and they are doing very well.
We were dealing with the same issue as well, but that wasn't the only reason we chose to HS, but my DD begged to be HS'd.
April 6th, 2011, 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelions-n-Mudpuddles View Post
Hello, and welcome

I'm Michelle, I have three little, ok maybe not so little, ones.

Alexis is 12 and is in 6th grade, Alyssia will be 10 this month and is in 4th grade, and Leo is 7 and doing mostly first grade, but we've recently moved up to 2nd grade in a few subjects because he finished them way early, and needs something to occupy his time

They were in PS up until this past December, when I took them out. Now we go through OHVA using the K12 curriculum. It's made a world of difference for us all, in so many ways. We absolutely love it and the kids are flourishing being able to learn how, and what they like, in a place they are 100% comfy. Makes those rough spots not so rough, you know? I don't think they'll be going back to PS anytime soon. I certainly don't plan on it, and neither do they. But we may change our curriculum over the years, adapt to whatever the kids need/want at the time.
I'm one of those who needs to homeschool on a very tight budget(hence the K12 through OHVA for now, as it's free) But we add in our own stuff too, all stuff I find on the net. That's one of our favorite things to do together, find things we want to learn about. It really helps a lot, for my kids anyway, that they have a say in what they will be learning. I think it helps hold their attention at least a *little bit more, lol. They are still kids though.
This spring weather has been a total distraction-well that and their colds. We can't wait for much warmer weather so we can do more of our learning outdoors.

I looked into the k12 thing but there isn't one in my area, I would have to pay for it since we are out of their district I am actually from IL where there are like no laws to hs, wish we were there...lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search