Getting a slow start

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 6th, 2011, 01:42 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Okay, I know it's only been a week so I'm probably over thinking it a little, but I'm wondering if maybe I'm not doing enough with Ellie.
Aside from reading (which she would happily do 24/7 but *I can't sit still that long) and baking (which I would gladly do every day but then we'd *have to eat it all) We haven't really been doing anything productive. Did anyone else find it hard to get started? Or am I just being lazy? (don't answer that.)
I have to say that just taking her out of that preschool environment has already made a HUGE difference. She seems so much more relaxed. All her therapists have noticed. They say she's like a different kid. Maybe I should just be happy about that and not worry so much. But since we're still planning on sending her to a mainstream kindergarten in a few months I just want to make sure she's prepared.
We're hoping to get out of the house more this week and I'm sure that will help a lot. But I'd love some advice on getting into a routine at home.

Thanks,
Anna
April 6th, 2011, 03:54 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I think you're being too hard on yourself. She'll be fine. If you really want a routine, though, teach her a little bit about clocks. (Just learning :00 and :30 would be way more than enough for preschool.) Then tell her "when the clock says ____, we'll do ____" and write it all down. It can even include things like lunch and playtime (which you could start calling recess, since that's what school will call it). Also, see if you can find your school's schedule online. I know the school my kids would be going to (but won't) has their entire schedule for all teachers listed on their website. I could start using that schedule right away if I wanted to (except that this school only gives ONE 20-minute recess/bathroom break in the morning, and one 5 minute bathroom break in the afternoon... are you kidding me?! )

Last edited by BensMom; April 6th, 2011 at 03:58 PM.
April 6th, 2011, 08:52 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Maybe once in a while also work on her letters and handwriting. Make sure she knows her colors and basic shapes as well, otherwise I am sure she is good to go
April 7th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It is so easy to get frazzled. Just try (i say try because i know how hard it is) to stay calm and just do what feels right. I view preschool as optional. My daughter goes to a B&M preschool strictly because she loves being around kids (and it gives me a few hours of teaching my son without interruptions). I would call the B&M school and ask what your child should know before Kindy (even if you plan to homeschool) and just loosely work on that stuff. Incorporate it in daily life or something.

Good luck!!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
April 7th, 2011, 07:37 AM
What is B & M?

Edit - *duh* Nevermind. It's brick & morter, isn't it?
April 8th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom View Post
What is B & M?

Edit - *duh* Nevermind. It's brick & morter, isn't it?

I'm glad you figured that out for me because I wouldn't have been able to do so myself even though I should know that from other contexts.

OP, I don't have anything to add; just wanted to express my empathy. I too have those feelings (struggling with establishing and maintaining a routine and worrying that it's just because I'm lazy).
April 8th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
LOL! Oops sorry! I forget sometimes to put full word before using the shortened later.

April 8th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Thanks. This helps. It's nice to know I can relax a little. I think I was just worried about her getting bored. That's one of the biggest problems we had with her preschool. She's pretty far ahead academically I think but her other issues were getting in the way.
I love the idea of teaching her about clocks and calendars to help establish a routine and to help her with sequencing and number recognition. (Math is one of her weaknesses.) Also I think it would help her to be able to look forward to things.
We went to the dollar store today and got some activity books we're both really excited about. They're BIG but not babyish and they're not tied to tv or movies she's never seen. (Aside from Veggie Tales she has no interest in tv.)
Any ideas on computer games or other activities that aren't to simple academically but don't require too much in the way of fine motor skills? I'm having trouble finding things that make her think but don't make her *work too hard. KWIM?
April 8th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
If you're worried about her getting bored, involve her in the process more. "What would you like to learn today". Take a gander at what you find in stores(dollar stores are superb for this, actually), and see what peaks her interest. Does she have favorites-colors, hobbies, etc..? If so, involve those too. It's super easy to do a lot of teaching/learning with very minimal work involved.
I personally believe that the preschool ages are some of the most amazing ages to teach, as well as the easiest, lol. Everything is fascinating. Granted all kids are just sponges, but little ones are like big fat sponges that can hold way more, and are always thirsty for more. I find it way easier when the kids have a say in what's going to happen. If you want to get into a routine, it will serve you both well to make sure she's part of developing that routine.
"So what do you think we should do after breakfast everyday?"
"What things do you want to learn/know about?"
"What could we do for quiet activities?"
Etc..
All questions you're asking yourself anyway when you create your routine or your ideal "day". Might as well ask her what her ideal day would be, take her cues and run with it. Not everyday will be the same, and some will be way short, while others may be real long. But I really do feel when a child has a say in what's going to happen, they're more receptive. Just been my personal experience anyway. Aside from my own kids, I have taught preschool as well. Despite having other teachers tell me how "wrong" it was to ask the kids what they would like to do. Our class times went way smoother than any other class around us, lol. Couldn't have been that far off
April 8th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamma_anna View Post
Any ideas on computer games or other activities that aren't to simple academically but don't require too much in the way of fine motor skills? I'm having trouble finding things that make her think but don't make her *work too hard. KWIM?
My dad bought Jump Start to Preschool for my daughter at some homeschool store he went to in another state (i can't even remember which state, sorry). It's pretty good.

April 8th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Thanks Michelle. I was really impressed by the dollar store actually. We'll definitely be back often. I really want to involve her in the decision process as much as possible. I ask all those questions all the time. Unfortunately decision making is one of her biggest weaknesses. It wasn't that long ago that she wasn't talking to us AT ALL. She wouldn't respond to any question that required more than shaking her head for yes or no. She's still getting used to the idea that its okay for her to have her own opinions. She's getting much better but at this point, "I don't know" is still her most common answer. So for now at least I think I need to take more of the lead or at least have her options narrowed down to two.

Quote:
My dad bought Jump Start to Preschool for my daughter at some homeschool store he went to in another state (i can't even remember which state, sorry). It's pretty good.
Thanks. I actually just set up an account for her on their website. Didn't know you could still buy the software. I'm not sure about it yet. There's a lot of stuff that's locked out unless you have a membership. I don't really want to pay for it until I know if it will work for her. Its nice to know you can still buy the software because the website seems to need a better internet connection than what we have.
April 8th, 2011, 07:28 PM
You can also use Starfall's Learn to Read with phonics. The free one is reading only (starts with letters and goes up to some pretty read-y stuff like composer biographies and such). The paid one (I think $35/yr) has math also. I really like it.
April 8th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
We have some of those jumpstart cds too, I sent them to my mom's because we weren't getting a ton of use out of them anymore here. But they are really awesome, and so easy to learn

Our dollar tree, happens to be the nearest actual dollar store to us. I LOVE that store, lol. They have so much that you can use, and incorporate.

Decision making is a huge weakness here too, I blame myself for that. I'm terrible at it sometimes, and, it seems the kids have picked up my cues, lol. But we still try, even if none of us can make up our minds, rofl. Like today for instance, we know there are some things we have to do everyday we have school(OHVA is actually on spring break this week, but we're ignoring that, no point in it right now, lol). But today beyond our usual reading silent and little bit of math, blah, we got nothing done as far as school was concerned. Such is life, we all have days like that, I suppose. We did clean though and started sorting through old stuff so we can make a trip to Hope Chest, so, it counts for something
April 13th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Quote:
You can also use Starfall's Learn to Read with phonics. The free one is reading only (starts with letters and goes up to some pretty read-y stuff like composer biographies and such). The paid one (I think $35/yr) has math also. I really like it.
Chrystal, thanks for recomending this. We both love it. Especially the composer biographies. Ellie got so excited when we read the one on Scott Joplin. Her sister Meg is learning "Maple Leaf Rag" right now. Ellie just kept saying "That's Meggie's song!"

Things are going much better now. I was worrying for nothing. Thanks for pointing that out.
April 13th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Glad you're feeling better!
April 14th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamma_anna View Post
Things are going much better now. I was worrying for nothing. Thanks for pointing that out.
So happy to hear things are going better for you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search