Has anyone used All About Spelling? Or other recs?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 8th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've been doing a lot of research for a spelling program that would be easy to use but still challenging for my 5 year old. She is reading chapter books and is an excellent speller. I haven't taught her much, she watched the Leap Frog videos and just picked it up on her own - and of course we read a lot. We are using Moving Beyond the Page as our primary curriculum and they don't have a spelling component until next year. We started with the "100 words you should know" list and she finished those in a few months so now we need something new. I'd love to hear personal experiences with this or any other program you've used.
April 9th, 2011, 02:23 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I haven't used AAS, but I've considered it. I ordered it at Mardel's (knowing they allow returns for special orders), and when it came in, I decided against it. It's too expensive, and IMO, too complicated (ok... complicated isn't the right word... too much prep time, perhaps? I don't know... I just prefer to have spelling take 5 minutes each day with a grab and go curriculum). If I had a struggling speller, I wouldn't care how complicated it was, of course, so that didn't bother me as much as you might think. It's just that Ben's a wonderful speller, too. He just instinctively picks up phonetic rules, and he always has. He likes patterns, and he can spell pretty much anything as long as it follows the usual rules. The only thing that *ever* gave him trouble was the silent -e. I don't know why, but it took him 2-3 weeks to get the hang of that one (possibly just because he was 3 years old, I don't know?). Everything else, I never taught him. He followed patterns and figured it out, I suppose?

We started with Sequential Spelling book 1. It's not a "graded" program (like 1st grade, 2nd grade...). Everyone starts with the first book whether you're 4 or 14. He was whizzing right through it, though, so I started skipping large chunks at a time, and then went to the AVKO website to figure out what he needed. They had suggestions for acceleration, but I noticed they also have an adult version of the course. It's only $20 for the entire, condensed version, where the regular student books are $10 each (for 7 levels). We did the adult book this past year, and although there was a little in it that tripped him up, there wasn't a whole lot. The adult book was written with remedial learning in mind. It's condensed and accelerated because that's how most adult curricula is written. It also builds to words that children have no reason to know (like *****, for example .... EDIT... LOL, JM deleted it... it was w-h-o-r-e, in the -ore section of the book), so we simply skipped those. Not a big deal. He was whizzing through it very quickly, but I NEVER came across words like "fudge" with a "dg" in the middle (something he missed on his annual exam). I ended up calling AVKO and speaking at length about what I should get him, because I could already tell he'd be finished with that in no time. They recommended...

... finish the adult book (which goes to appx level 5 in the kid version), and then skip back over to the kid version for books 6 & 7. Those two books are supposed to have the really weird words or commonly used foreign words in them (like hors d'oeuvres). She also recommended getting a $35 membership to AVKO so we could download tons and tons and tons (hundreds of dollars worth) of stuff free, including the rules they used to come up with the SS system.

So... long story short... I like what we've done, and if Daniel ends up being a natural speller like Ben, I'll do the same for him. Start with the adult version, spend a couple of years on it, and then pick up appx books 5-6-7 of the kid version for middle school. If Daniel isn't a natural speller, I'll go with something much more rule-based like AAS, Spelling Power, or Spelling Workout. You can find descriptions and reviews for those at Cathy Duffy's website. I know she (lady at AVKO) suggested starting Ben back at book 6 after the adult book, but I'm going to probably start him in book 3 or 4 just to make sure. I'd rather have him rush through them than suddenly hand him something very hard, ya' know? I don't want to frustrate him. We have a lot of other things next year that will be challenging already.

Last edited by BensMom; April 10th, 2011 at 08:34 PM.
April 10th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Thanks for your input! I had been looking at Sequential Spelling as well so I'm glad to hear you have had a good experience with it. Reid is just beginning to read as well so it would be great to find a program they can both use and work at their own pace.
April 12th, 2011, 07:11 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
We use AAS and we have used Sequential Spelling in the past. Sequential Spelling did not work out for us at all, it was a total failure. AAS has been wonderful and involves no prep work but like a minute before doing the lesson to make sure you pull out the right cards. AAS has helped them in spelling, reading and phonics. I wish I would have tried it sooner.
April 12th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Now you're really confused, huh?

Seriously, both are great, as are a lot of others. You just have to figure out what works best for you.
April 12th, 2011, 09:01 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom View Post
Now you're really confused, huh?

Seriously, both are great, as are a lot of others. You just have to figure out what works best for you.
Yep!!

If you have one that is a hands on type learner, then I would go with the AAS because you work with the tiles, well you don't have to use them. But some days we use the tiles and others we dont. Just depends on our mood

Last edited by in_mommy; April 12th, 2011 at 09:25 PM.
April 13th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I decided to go with AAS because I think Evelyn would do well with either style, but Reid is a very young three and I think the letter tiles/hands on approach will be easier for him. I am excited to see how they like it
April 13th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Let us know how it goes!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search