Please Talk Me Down!!!!!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Mama To 3 Amazing Boys
Edward is currently in Kindergarten. We use the K12 program, which is an online charter school. Art and some of math are done online, but the rest is teacher guide/workbook lessons. I teach him the lessons and we enter all of his tests and checkpoints online and he has a teacher that oversees everything and that I correspond with on any issues and such. I love it because I don't have to write my own curriculum and it's free. I don't have to pay for it!

This was a bad year to start homeschooling. Last November, I gave birth to our 3rd boy and had to take 2 weeks off of everything to recover, mainly because my stomach muscles tore but for the most part it was my fastest recovery of my 3 sections. But it was really difficult jumping back into the groove of school. Then Christmas came and he was on winter break for two weeks. Then 2 days after school started back up for the second semester, I found out that the townhouse we were renting was going into foreclosure.....we had lived there for 4 years!!!! We had accumulated a TON of junk and had 2 babies since we'd moved in....one was still barely 3 months....So I had to put school on the back burner for almost 3 months (from Jan-Mar) to find a new home, pack, move, and unpack. We're still not unpacked but school ends on May 27th for this year. Registration is open for next school year and I REALLY want to enroll Edward for the 2011-2012 school year. But I have a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth from this year that I almost don't want to do it. It's to the point now were we are tripling lessons each day in order to be complete by the time the end of school rolls around. I desperately do NOT want to put him in public school, but I'm just not sure I can do this again. My DH assures me that it'll be better next year because everything is settled compared to what we have gone through since November. What are your thoughts? Should I not judged next year's school year by what I experienced this year??? I have a feeling I'm being a little hard on myself by thinking I can't make it happen like I want to.....And I should just bite the bullet and do this again next year.
Baby #4 - Went to Heaven on 1.20.14
Proud Christian, Jesus Loving,Extended Breastfeeding, Co-sleeping, Babywearing, Cloth Diapering, Non-Vaxing, Homeschooling Mama!
I choose to Homeschool so I can give my children a Godly foundation, So they know His word and His truths!
April 11th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Super Mommy
Can I ask why you use a virtual school? I'm just wondering because other options do not require X amount of activities with similar requirements but more flexibility. I would not count this year and try again next.
April 11th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
K12 doesn't actually *require that you finish 100% every year either
Even the virtual schools using it that seem more strict, K12 in and of itself is not nearly as strict as it seems. K12 has core things that need to be finished, yes, but the same is true for *any curriculum, or learning environment-no matter where it is. There are just certain things you need/want to get done every school year in order to progress on to the next level/year. Even the most lax usually have some sort of goal for the year.
k12, more particularly for the younger grades, definitely does not require 100% completion. We've spoken at length both with those at K12 and at OHVA(which is basically the "umbrella" virtual school we go through here) about this very topic. Mostly because we did not start at the beginning of the year, we started at the end of a semester. But all have assured me that while the website has goals, percentages of completion, etc...100% is not mandatory, ever. I wanted to make sure it wasn't just our "school"(OHVA) policy though, which is why I spoke directly to the folks at K12 about it as well(mostly due to some issues we had with Leo's first "teacher"-who btw no longer works for K12). It's something they really wanted to stress to me... to not stress about it. We will not have finished either by the end of the year, none of my kids will(6th,4th,1st). It's not an issue and we've already re-registered for next year

I do think you're being a bit hard on yourself. But we always are as parents. We tend to set goals and when we don't meet them, we begin to second guess and question. I think its perfectly normal to do so, to be honest. Everyone does it at one point or another in their life. This year was obviously chaotic to say the least for you. You should be proud of what you *have accomplished. Maybe focusing on that will help. It does for me, when things aren't going so well. I wouldn't base next year's expectations on this year's experience. I know it's hard not to. But as your husband said, you've been through a lot, and now things are getting settled. They won't be the same next year. Heck even *if* next year were chaotic too, it wouldn't be the same experience, either. I try to just take each day as it comes, and that's how I'd take this too. Each new school year is a new experience in and of itself. We can't really judge one, until it's over, because you just never know what may change. Pat yourself on the back for making it through the chaos in general, especially with a newborn!
April 11th, 2011, 04:12 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I think you should just start over completely. Pretend this year didn't happen. Start from scratch in the Fall with a new (more flexible) curriculum (if you choose not to continue with K12) and a renewed spirit of adventure. Things happen! How would this year have been any different if you were doing PS? You wouldn't be teaching as a homeschool parent, but you'd still be expected to teach the homework. You'd be driving back and forth every day at 8 and 3 during rush traffic, doing special events and teacher conferences when you should've been recovering or packing, and things like that. It wouldn't be free, either. You'd be buying school supplies, lunches, gas to and from school, field trip money, etc.

There are more cheap or free ways to do school than just K12, and you'll probably find making your own curriculum more fun than overwhelming in the long run. We can help you. Relax and pat yourself on the back for making it through the year, but please DON'T triple the lessons everyday. You're going to cause burnout for both of you, and you'll both end up dreading school time. Learning should be something kids look forward to.

Last edited by BensMom; April 11th, 2011 at 04:14 PM.
April 12th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We started K12 this year with my son (2nd grade) and we love it. Don't sweat not finishing things. You're able to work on the classes over the summer, if you want. Or you can finish what doesn't get done next year. The important thing is to remain in contact with his teacher so that s/he knows what's going on. We've reworked my son's school year (changed when he had spring break and some of the other breaks) and have received truancy warnings from the school. However, because I am in contact with his teacher and she knows what's going on, I don't have to actually worry about it.

If it's hours and not curriculum you are worried about, you can have almost anything count as supplemental hours. Did you go to the doctor? That can count as health or science. Did you go for a walk, or send him outside to play? That counts as gym. When you go to the grocery, let your child help in some way and that'll count as Math. And so on...

I agree that you should not judge next year by this years issues. It sounds like the issues were not K12 related, but life related. Just take a deep breath, do what you can when you can, and know that you can always finish next year what doesn't get done today.

Have you tried looking on facebook or where ever to see if your virtual academy has a page? Other parents in your academy might have some more area specific advice for you too.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search