Preschool curriculum

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Lenae's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi, I'm new here. I don't currently homeschool, but it is something my husband and I have talked about in the past. We're both still on the fence, I'm leaning toward homeschooling, my husband is leaning toward public school. We've recently moved to a place with really good schools, which is actually what has been swaying my husband so much. Where we lived before, the schools were rather disappointing, so it was sort of a non-issue. Anyways, to my question.

I know a lot of people don't like to start with an actual curriculum until children are a little bit older, but my son really enjoys reading right now, and the one on one time when we do 'projects' like coloring and learning to draw shapes. Are there any preschool curriculums you'd reccommend? I like the reading based Rod and Staff one I found, it seemed like something my son would enjoy. And with a pricetag under $40, I really like it. I also found Horizon, made by Alpha Omega I believe.... Has anyone used either of these? Or a different one you loved? We're not looking specifically for a Christian based one, but we're definitely not opposed to one. Thanks in advance!
April 13th, 2011, 09:29 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I really like Abeka for preschool, but it's very expensive compared to R&S. I haven't seen R&S for preschool, but I've used them for other things, and I'm very pleased. I like Kumon for developing motor skills, but not for imagination, so if you're looking for art, that might be a piece of what you choose. Depending on how well he's reading, you should look into Explode the Code. There's a preschool series for that. Explode the Code is phonics, but it's also good for writing practice and spelling. It's not a "reader" system with stories and such. It teaches "how" to read only.
April 13th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I've never heard about Abeka, and I've seen commercials for Kumon learning centers (the same thing?), so I'll look into those.

Rod and Staff Books: Preschool (4-5) This is the link I found for the Rod and Staff preschool stuff. If you don't mind me asking, did you do a specific curriculum for preschool? Did you choose to wait till your children were older? Or were you not homeschooling then? Thanks again, I really appreciate the help. There's SO MUCH information out there, it's overwhelming. I like to hear from people about their real experiences and knowledge of things!
April 14th, 2011, 04:59 AM
sarah1up's Avatar Member
I've just gotten started with my son who's 3.5 and I'm really just going with whatever he's interested in right now. He's not at all interested in workbooks, but I love them and think they are cute so I can't help looking through them. I wonder if maybe you could go from a few different workbooks (from the dollar stores, Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, or Amazon) if that's what he is interested in? At this point we are just reading a lot of books from the library, playing with blocks, cars, play-dough, and I spend a lot of time on the floor coloring and writing letters and numbers for him to color. He is very interested learning, but not in any kind of a formal way so I try and go with what he wants. We don't do projects, but he loves to cut and paste and color so that's what he does. He is simply an "about the process" kind of kid instead of the "about the outcome" kind (drives my husband crazy). He will paint until there is a hole in the paper or spend an hour drawing an amazing picture and then cut it up into little pieces to use for his garbage trucks. But there are so many books from the library and websites with ideas and projects for preschool aged kids that even if he was into that kind of thing, I don't think I'd feel the need for a curriculum until he was in 2nd grade maybe.
April 14th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've never used it, but I have a friend that's used R&S for her kids. She likes it.
April 14th, 2011, 07:10 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenae View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I've never heard about Abeka, and I've seen commercials for Kumon learning centers (the same thing?), so I'll look into those.

If you don't mind me asking, did you do a specific curriculum for preschool? Did you choose to wait till your children were older? Or were you not homeschooling then?
You can get kumon workbooks just about anywhere educational stuff is sold. The learning centers aren't the same thing. Those are classes (usually just for math and reading).

I don't mind at all. We skipped preschool and K with my oldest ... quite by accident! We didn't realize he was ready for 1st grade when we started. I'm doing a veeeeeeery informal preschool with my youngest right now (but only when he asks to "do school"). He'll start K next year, and then we'll spend appx 30 minutes per day on "school stuff" (reading, writing, and math... that's it.)

Last edited by BensMom; April 14th, 2011 at 07:13 AM.
April 14th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I will be using Horizons preschool next year for my 3.5yr old DD. It is fast paced and a bit ahead of other programs though.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

April 15th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the reponses. I live on an extremely remote island in the Aleutians, so I can only shop online for things, but I'll give Amazon a shot (LOVE their free SuperSaver Shipping because shipping here is ridiculously expensive). Thanks for the suggestions ladies. Right now my son and I read a lot together, and we're moving on into coloring and playing with playdough, but I have a 15 month old who loves to do whatever her big brother is doing, but it usually involves eating some of it as well, lol. I think we'll give Rod and Staff a try, because it's mostly just books, and my son LOVES reading with me, so it's not money wasted. And maybe pick up some workbooks too. I don't want to push him to he wears out on school, but I think he is ready for some application of the things he's been learning. Thanks again!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search