thinking ahead: diplomas, SAT's, college

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2011, 06:57 AM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So, can homeschoolers take the SAT's and the Regents (NY State standardized tests) if they are not affiliated with any actual "school"?

I have been looking into Catholic curriclum (yes, everytime I think I have my mind made up, something un-does it... ). Anyway, almost all Catholic curricula is actually a "distance school" that you have to enroll in (and pay tuition!). They do offer diplomas, etc. The only one that isn't an actual school is Catholic Heritage but the reviews aren't so hot and I think they only go to 5th grade.

So, anyway, what of all this?? What is needed to take all the standardized tests and get into college?? If all else is equal, I'd rather avoid actual enrollment b/c of the tuition, but I don't know if this is wise for later on.

Also, does anyone know if Seton even has an option to just use their materials and not enroll? It doesn't look like it to me, but that question isn't answered on the FAQ page. High School FAQ - Seton Home Study School

(FYI, the reason I am second-guessing my choice to use A Beka for hist/geo, LA, and health next year is that I read it is pretty anti-Catholic. But we are actually thinking seriously about joining the Catholic Church, so that's not cool. Possibly I could edit out the anti-Catholic stuff, but I would also rather not support an anti-Catholic company if I have other good options. But Catholic programs look like a whole different ball of wax...)

[/url]

April 28th, 2011, 07:11 AM
mommybugnbugga's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First of all, yes homeschoolers can take the SAT. In fact if they want to go to college they have to take the SAT or ACT (unless they duel enroll in a junior college while in high school). I don't know about the Regents, but here in FL, we have the FCAT and homeschool students CAN take the FCAT it is just a pain in the butt to work with the school board to get them to put them on the "roster" for a test.

Second, I looked into Seton as well. However, from my understanding when I talked to them it was kind of an all or nothing type deal. You couldn't just buy their materials. I personally didn't like the way the "homeschool" portion was handled for Seton. My dd was in a Catholic school before we started to homeschool and I wanted to continue that type of education. I ended up not liking any of the things I saw or read about the homeschool Catholic Curriculum. So what I did was just peice together a curriculum and then I added a Catholic Religion class. I use We Believe which is what a majority of the Catholic schools I know of use. The website also has online activites as well as printouts for different chapters of the book.

April 28th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I have no idea about the NY Regents. Yes, homeschoolers can (and do) take the SAT (and ACT). I took both. There was a code they told me to use that indicated I was homeschooled. You just pay the fee, show up to where it is given, and take it. Nothing else is needed. As for diploma, there are several options. You can go with one of the places that issues a diploma for the high school years (not all are accredited), use an umbrella school, have the kid take the GED, print your own diploma and declare them finished with high school, or none of the above. Some homeschooled kids never get an "official" diploma, but once they have an associates or bachelors it doesn't matter since higher degrees trump lower ones.

AFAIK Seton is all or nothing. A Catholic friend of mine used them a few years. Now she is using stuff from Adoremus Books.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 28th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Veteran
As far as non-enrollment based Catholic homeschool curriculum, what about Memoria Press (Classical)? Mater Amabilis (Charlotte Mason)?
April 28th, 2011, 08:58 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I've also heard good things about Memoria, but that's because we lean toward classical. I don't do Charlotte Mason, so I haven't heard of Mater Amabilis.
April 28th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Super Mommy
Regents can be taken by home-schoolers. NYS has an ability to benefit test which allows non-diploma students to get financial aid. I took it to get financial aid before finishing high school, it's a lot like placement test.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search