Some beginning math help

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Super Mommy
We are/will be following a Charlotte Mason style of homeschooling and Ethan turns 5 in July, a month before our third baby is due. Technically speaking, Charlotte Mason didn't start 'seat work' until the children were 6 years old but there are curriculums and guidelines to help those who are wanting to do some things before they hit that age.

That being said, I've got almost everything planned out for his 5 year old 'year' except math....We tried Saxon for a while but honestly, I was lazy when it came to opening the lesson and finding out that I was supposed to have made some sort of construction paper chart the night before I still have all the manipulatives from Saxon. One site suggested Right Start math. Has anyone tried it? What did you like or not like about it? Would I like it if I wasn't all that thrilled about Saxon? I like that it included some card games and an abacus.

Any other good options?

Make a pregnancy ticker
April 28th, 2011, 03:57 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
RS is completely different from Saxon, yes. It's more hands-on also. I think you'll like it. (I personally only know ONE person who likes Saxon before 4th grade, anyway. I hate it. After about 4th or 5th, it's fine.)
April 28th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Super Mommy
Whew! I'm not alone, haha!

What about the ones like Singapore? How do they compare?

Make a pregnancy ticker
April 28th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We use Singapore and my daughter loves it. She really enjoys worksheets so it was a good fit for her. I like that you can quickly move through the topics but if your child gets stuck on a skill they have a lot of suggestions in the teachers manual for games, manipulatives, etc. We looked into RS as well because it was recommended with our curriculum but didn't feel it was the right choice for her style.

Right now we are just about to finish level 1A and she is looking forward to starting a new book soon.

April 29th, 2011, 06:20 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
A ton of people like singapore. I'm not one of them, but there's one in every crowd, right? No, seriously... it just didn't work for Ben, that's all. If it works for Daniel, I'd have no problem using it. Singapore is more workbooky, and RS is more hands on. Both are good.
April 29th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Veteran
We use Professor B Math (also known as Mathematics Power Learning for Children) which just so happens to be what is used in one of the Charlotte Mason based schools used as an example of the philosophy applied in the book When Children Love to Learn.
April 29th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks! I'll look into all 3 and try to figure something out soon...

Make a pregnancy ticker
April 29th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Super Mommy
Wait, so for the Professor B Math, do you buy the lesson plan for online use and then use a workbook also to go along with it??

Make a pregnancy ticker
April 29th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Veteran
I don't know off hand. I went with the book option, not the CD or online options.
April 29th, 2011, 07:21 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Check out Math Mammoth, she has some samples that you can look at.
April 30th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We use Horizons math and my girls love it, They do very well with it even though it is advanced.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search