Home schooling questions: (reintroduction?)

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Hello my name is Nicole. I consider myself a homeschooler but i am not active on this board because I am not actively homeschooling any of my kids right now.

I didn't wake up one day and think I'd love to quit my job and be a homeschooler. It was a long hard road for me and I was basically backed into it. My older two sons are adopted and they have enough issues. My younger one was kicked out of 5 day cares before he started kindergarten. My older one was behaviorally much better but academically an issue. I tried everything to get an IEP for my younger child and could get nothing, until right before test time they drug me in for and IEP and the only thing they cared about was getting my child to test in a separate room so he would not disturb the class, Nothing else was addressed. Oddly enough at this school my 7th graders class room was right next to my 1st graders class room so i saw his teachers every day when i picked the kids up from school but for some reason they could mention ever fund raiser and call home about such things but wait until the parent teacher conference to inform me that my 7th grader had a 7% in math. I finally figured I couldn't do much worse than that and took the big leap. Any way homeschooling them was hard and I hated it.

However when my biological daughter hit kindergarten I got to home school her and she was a joy.

As of right now my older is 21 and on his own, my next is 15 and in public high school which I HATE. My daughter lives with her father.

My husband and I have a 2.5 year old, a 7 month old, and we are expecting in Nov. We are both very dedicated to homeschooling and I am very excited to have a fresh start.

Questions:

Has anyone used Sonlight? Home

What math curriculum's do you like?

I have only used Saxon and my daughter was a math whiz and found it very easy, it was a bit repetitive for her and drove me crazy on the mixing up of questions.

When do you start school?

We used to start in January but when T started 7th grad and Q started 2nd grade we actually started in Aug when the public schools started. However we did math practically every day even in summer. With my next crop of babies they all miss the Kindergarten cut off of Sept 1st so wouldn't start school until they were just about to turn six. I was thinking of using a nonstandard start date so that my two babies who will be 14 months apart can be in the same “grade”.

How do you answer the “socialization” question?

April 29th, 2011, 09:04 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
WELCOME BACK!!! I have a novel to write for you, so I'll have to get back to you later this afternoon. I've got 2 conference calls over the next few hours. (... actually on hold for one right now. )

I remember you, by the way.
April 29th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Hi there

I've never used sonlight, so I can't help with that. The curriculum we use is K12 and we love it. But I also supplement with all sorts of things from all over the net. If I were to piece part my own together, I would most likely just to that(find resources on the net and put them all together). I'm not very fond of expensive curriculum as I don't believe it *should cost that much and teaching/learning can be done on the same level for far less. But I'm just extremely frugal and cheap, so take my opinion on that with a grain of salt

We start school in August, or beginning of September. We will end the last week of May. Basically a "traditional" school year. Learning never stops but our, semi-structured days will. Not that there's always much structure to them, lol.

As for socialization...
I was just having this conversation this week with other homeschool parents. We had our state testing this week and we go to a Comfort Inn for it. So lots of other folks there to talk with.
My personal opinion is that my children socialize better *out* of school than they ever did IN school. In life they will not just be in a room for hours at a time with people the same age as them. That's not how life works. Socialization is key to natural growth, and is needed(at least on some degree). But the classroom isn't the place for it. In fact children in school aren't given a whole lot of opportunity to socialize, really. They have to be pretty quiet in class. Recess they get to play, but it's most likely only with children their own age. And that too gets eliminated once they get older. If you live in a smaller district the children are likely going to be with the *same* group of kids all through school. Even in a bigger district, this happens. So really, it's no different than joining some extracurricular activity and using that for socialization. Which is where school children *get their socialization from, most of the time. Not so much their classroom.
My kids talk with, spend time with, interact with people of all ages. Socialization isn't about knowing how to behave around kids your own age. It's about learning to live within society. What better way to do that than to use the world as your classroom? The world they *will be living in. The world they *need to be able to function in. The world they are very much an important part of. That's not to say kids in classrooms can't do this as well, in fact, they'd have to. But the argument about HS kids not being able to socialize has never made any sort of sense to me, lol. Most of them get more opportunity to socialize with a myriad of people than kids stuck in a classroom with like peers for ages. Teaching children to socialize, or become part of, a classroom, is a pretty short lesson. It's one they learn very early on. Teaching children to socialize and become part of society, is a lifelong lesson. One that HS parents have an advantage over others on, because they've *usually got more opportunity and time to do so.

My kids aren't in any outside activities and likely won't be for some time. It's just not something we can do right now. But that doesn't stop them from socializing with others. We don't really fall in the realm of normal though, on any degree, lol. I base most of my opinions on what I've seen and learned from others.
April 29th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Super Mommy
Sonlight- Sonlight had to much in there instruction manual for us, The questions were not that intriguing to us, so after about 2 weeks we put it aside and just read the books. We got it on Craig's list for $180 ($100 was for gas to pick it up). I'm fine spending that much for tons of books but would not be happy if we had paid full price but we would have been way under the 18 wk guarantee. I did pull some activities out but not enough. I like MBTP much more.

Math- We liked singapore math a lot.

We start in June because that's easiest being his birthday is that month.

We don't get the "socailization" question anymore thanks to Facebook my family see's all the events we go to as home-schoolers and knows he has a couple of public school friends.
April 29th, 2011, 03:23 PM
OK more back ground on the "socialization issue" When I was in my custody dispute over my daughter, socialization was a big deal and even though they went to the YMCA every day, (MWF tyler had Swim team and T TH Quinn had swim lessons) socialization was a very big deal.

April 29th, 2011, 04:49 PM
I promise... I haven't forgotten to come back to this thread.
April 29th, 2011, 07:20 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Welcome back!! We have not personally used Sonlight, I know others on here have used it and can offer you plenty of feedback on that. As for math, we use Math Mammoth and LOVE it!! I agree with Michelle on the socialization thing. I don't see how there was such a concern if they were out every single day at the Y. Have you found any local groups that you can join up with or any co-ops??
Check HSLDA on socialization

Homeschooling and Socialization

Random House Ballpark Mysteries - FamilyEducation.com
April 30th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Has anyone used Sonlight? I have looked into it but decided against after hearing some reviews that said they thought it was great while they were using it but after switching to something else they realized how far behind their kids were.

What math curriculum's do you like? We are horizons users through 6th grade and then we will switch to Saxon. I love horizons and I used Saxon in middle school and highschool.

When do you start school? We are Aug to May schoolers with light work during the summer so not too much is lost from the year before. As for age wise we start when the child is ready. For my girls (that have been homeschooled from the start) that seems to be 3-3.5yrs.

How do you answer the “socialization” question? Socialization happens everywhere, at home with siblings, at church, at the park, at scouts, even just going to the store. The only difference between my kids and PS kids is that mine know how to address everyone not just children around the same age as them.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

May 1st, 2011, 12:22 PM
First, sorry it took so long to get back to you! Crazy Friday. Worked yesterday. Church this morning. Finally a chance to sit and spend a few minutes on a response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Song View Post
Has anyone used Sonlight?
I haven't, but I've considered it. It's not my style, not rigorous enough, and way too expensive.

Quote:

I have only used Saxon and my daughter was a math whiz and found it very easy, it was a bit repetitive for her and drove me crazy on the mixing up of questions.
  • Saxon is ok in the later grades, but I don't like it in the early grades.
  • I like Rod & Staff, but it's a preference thing. I, myself, am the type who loves workbooks and redundant work. R&S has A TON of practice in it. It's not bright and colorful with pictures and such either. It's a slow starter, but it catches up later on. Initially, it's about 6-18 months behind other curricula options, depending on the publisher.
  • I like Miquon, which is designed for grades 1-3, but covers slightly higher and lower than that as well. It's hands-on, not too flashy, but also kid-friendly.
  • I haven't used Math-u-see, but a lot of people like it. It's expensive, hands-on, and has both a visual and workbook component to it.
  • Teaching Textbooks is popular. It doesn't begin until 3rd grade, but it's way behind in the beginning, so some 1st and 2nd graders can handle it just fine. It catches up to normal grade guidelines later on.
  • Abeka and Horizons are both great, but they're also advanced, so if you have a child struggling in math, I wouldn't recommend them. They're great for kids who are math naturals.
  • Singapore is a very popular choice. Some people think it's too easy, but there are options available that make it much more challenging.
  • Math Mammoth gets very high reviews.
  • McRuffy also gets high reviews.
  • RightStart is another great hands-on curriculum. Like Miquon, it encourages kids to think rather than dumping information in their brain whether they want it or not.
Quote:

We used to start in January but when T started 7th grad and Q started 2nd grade we actually started in Aug when the public schools started. However we did math practically every day even in summer. With my next crop of babies they all miss the Kindergarten cut off of Sept 1st so wouldn't start school until they were just about to turn six. I was thinking of using a nonstandard start date so that my two babies who will be 14 months apart can be in the same “grade”.
Not sure exactly what you mean by "when", so I'll answer several ways. From day to day, we usually start around 9:00. From year to year, we homeschool on a year-round schedule, so each new grade level starts and ends approximately in May. I say "approximately", because we start and stop each subject as it comes up. We've already started 3rd for some subjects, but we're still finishing 2nd for others. We dovetail based on how many lessons are in a subject. It's May-ish, though. When, as in what age, do we start school? I'm of the school of though that kids should start when they're ready. That can be 2 and that can be 9. Doesn't matter. My oldest skipped K and started 1st grade when he was 3. My youngest will turn 3 in October, and he'll start K in the Fall. My idea of PreK and K are to prepare kids for school. I think what public schools have done to kindergarten since my generation is just terrible. If you allow a kid to explore their own interests and only teach the absolute basics, they'll be more than ready and willing to do 1st grade when the time comes. We'll work on basic reading, writing, and math skills. That's it. About 30 minutes per day. Otherwise, he'll continue being a typical 2-3 year old.

Quote:
It's not an issue. People don't usually question me, but when they do, I laugh as if they've told a joke that we both are a part of. People who ask about socialization are usually of 2 camps: (1) They honestly think you're ruining your children and they want to warn you of the dangers of locking your kids in a closet all day. Or (2) they're interested in homeschooling as well, but are afraid of what the neighbors will say. If I suspect the person is a 2, I'll explain all the things we do (bowling league, church, science class, field trips, playdates, etc.). If I expect they're a 1, I'll laugh and say, "I know! Isn't that the silliest argument people try to come up with? Of course, you already know we have that covered. Hey, how about that crazy weather yesterday? Did you (blah, blah, blah)...?" I never want to offend someone who has their child in PS. If I suspect they think I'm crazy, I'll explain why we're homeschooling (and why the PS can't meet our needs), and then tell them all the cool things we get to do that PS kids don't. I never tell them there's something wrong with their child because they're stuck in PS all day.

Here are a couple of articles I always share when socialization comes up ... No Thank You, We Don't Believe in Socialization!
and Pass the Bean Dip! (for homeschoolers) . Enjoy!

Last edited by BensMom; May 1st, 2011 at 12:25 PM.
May 1st, 2011, 08:41 PM
Thanks everyone!

May 2nd, 2011, 06:48 AM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Has anyone used Sonlight?
I used the K curriculum, but only lasted a few weeks with the IG. I did keep on using the read-alouds and all the Core books, but the IG was huge (like 4 inches thick) and I looked at it and thought, I need ALL THIS to teach kindergarten?! But I love their book list. I still look at it to see what kind of cute books and literature they are using so I can buy them on amazon if I want. lol I do like the living book approach for some subjects.

We use Math U See (Alpha & Beta). I do really like how systematic it is and I like how you master one concept before you move to the next. My kids are doing well with it and it's one subject I'm not paranoid about them being behind in. I like the way it's set up with the lesson, lesson, lesson, review, review, review, Test. It makes sense. Ironically, the only thing I'm not really thrilled about, are the problems with the blocks. They seem unnecessary a lot of the time and although they say you don't have to use the blocks, the worksheets have "building" problems all the time. Not a huge deal, though, I guess. I also wish it was a little more colorful and a little less dry, but I suppose it accomplishes the purpose... They know their math. Oh, one other con is that it doesn't focus on how to get them to memorize the math facts. You just work through each fact with the lessons, but that doesn't produce memorization in my experience. So I'm going to have to supplement with some kind of drilling.

That said, I do like MUS and I do think it's effective, but this year I think I may try Singapore. If we don't like it, we may just go back to MUS, though.

I don't know if you mean month or time... But we are going to homeschool during the summer this year and fill in some gaps from this year (half-days or less, though) before we move on to the new stuff we will start in the fall. We might take a break of a month at most in July/Aug and then we will probably officially start school again by the middle of Aug.

Daily we start somewhere btw 8 and 10. The boys often do their reading & math before I get out of bed b/c they're always up before me. lol

Thankfully, I don't know if I've ever really been asked it very pointedly... maybe b/c I socialize so little, nobody's had the chance to! LOL! J/k But I would say that I'm simply not that worried about it. I would like to get the kids involved at the YMCA or something, but one of the reasons I keep my kids out of the public school is because I DON'T want them socializing with every Tom, Dick, and Harry who happens to sit by them on the bus or at lunch... I see those kids walking down the street or being brats in the store, and I don't want to know what stories they'd have to tell my kids at recess! I want to have more control over who they hang out with, and we also have family friends who have 4 kids who come over and play once a week or so. If they pressed it, I would say that I'm alone with the kids every day while DH is at work and nobody's worried about stay-at-home moms' socialization! My kids have 4 siblings to play with every day.

[/url]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search