Did you start off with or switch to?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 29th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Lenae's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi, I've been here once before about preschool curriculum, but I have another question. Did you start homeschooling from day one? Or did you switch to homeschooling after your children spent time in a public/private school?

My son desperately wants to go to preschool next year. I understand that as parents, we shouldn't necessarily base our decisions on what our children want (especially when they are so young), but moreso on what we think is best for them. But I don't know what is best right now, so should my sons desire to attend preschool factor in my decision?

I worry that if I send my son to preschool and he loves it (as I think he will at first), my husband would be more resistant to homeschooling later on, even if it's what my son needs. He's a very intelligent, high strung boy. I worry that school will be fun for a while, then, as time goes on and it's more having to sit still for 7 hours a day and less fun, he'll not pay attention. That is where I feel homeschooling has one of its biggest advantages. Knowing how your child learns best, and teaching them based on that knowledge.

So did you start out at public school, and did your kids like/dislike it at first? Or did you just start homeschooling from day one, and not worry about public school at all?

PS, for what it's worth, we live on a hill overlooking the preschool/elementary school and have a large window in our living room that my son watches the kids coming and going and playing at recess all day. That is part of what feeds his desire. Moving is not a possibilty, lol.
April 29th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Veteran
Public school has never been something we were interested in for our children.
April 29th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I was public schooled and then my parents pulled me out to homeschool me. My kids have never been in traditional school.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 29th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Super Mommy
My son went to preschool/ day care several times before homeschooling. Preschool is more like an after school program then traditional elementary school. Suggest after school program if he's resistant after the pre-school (1/2 day if you can) experience. He may be able to go to the schools after-school program if you live that close.
April 29th, 2011, 05:33 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm only homeschooling my youngest daughter. She started in a public preschool which we both hated! I didn't have a choice about it at first (long story) and wouldn't have sent her there at all if I could have avoided it.
We are homeschooling for now but next year she'll be at a private school with her sisters. Her desire to go to school with her sisters was a BIG factor in our decision. I'm glad we were able to let her have some imput. Another thing that helped was knowing that whatever we decided didn't have to be forever. If things don't work out next year we'll try homeschooling again.
IMHO...Yes your son's desires should be *a* factor in your decision. Should it be the deciding factor? No. Visit the school and see what you think before making a decision.
Good Luck!
April 29th, 2011, 05:48 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
My son did preschool for 3-4 mos (dh's idea), and it was a horrible experience for him. He's never been, and won't be in, a public school if things continue the way they have been.
April 29th, 2011, 07:56 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
DD1 went to preschool and K-1 at a private school before she was pulled for HS. DS went to preschool and K in a private school as well then he was pulled. DD2 has not been to preschool, we are doing that at home.
April 29th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Lenae's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks for your responses! At the end of this school year, I think we're going to do a tour of the preschool and see how it goes. I am of the school of thought too, that it doesn't have to be permanent one way or the other.

I actually have a real life friend who homeschools her three children, aged 10, 8, and 6. They started out homeschooling for religious reasons, which wouldn't necessarily be our only reason, though we are Christians. Thanks for your answers. I think we'll give the preschool a shot. Maybe public school will be fine for my son. But I am drawn to homeschooling. I guess we'll wait and see. Thanks!
April 30th, 2011, 07:42 AM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My kids have never been in school. We started out HS'ing b/c we didn't want the kids around other kids for moral reasons (things they might "learn" besides the 3 r's!) and also concerns about things being taught that we don't agree with (e.g. sex ed in 8th grade, evolution, "tolerance" of false religions & lifestyles, etc.).

Good luck to you.

[/url]

May 1st, 2011, 07:08 PM
Sandra314's Avatar Homeschooling Mom
Send a message via Yahoo to Sandra314
Neither of my sons have been to preschool or public school. They have always been homeschooled.

Married for 14+ years to the love of my life. Currently TTCing.
May 1st, 2011, 07:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Neither of our kids has gone to daycare/preschool (yes, there is a preschool for 2's here... yikes, poor kids!), and we do not plan to send them to school before college (if they choose to go to college). I was homeschooled from the start right through 12th grade, and we're going to continue in that path.

We do get together with other children many places though-- library reading times, AWANA, the petting farm (it's free), church, and just arranging play dates. As they get older we'll probably add dance or gymnastics or swimming... or all to the list of "with other kids" activities. Rebecca CRAVES time with other children, but I prefer to supervise her interaction, and I can't stand the thought of missing out on my baby growing up.... plus I can teach her all she needs to know with way less pressure.
May 1st, 2011, 11:57 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Just realized I haven't answered this, lol.

My kids all went to public school, until this past December. I pulled them out for a lot of reasons. I've been wanting to pull them out for a long time. There were certain things that caused me to have to put that on hold until this winter though.
Despite the fact that our district boasts an "effective" rating(based on state testing) *every year...the children are behind.
Now I know that the curriculum we use is a bit advanced. I knew this before we started. What I didn't know, was how *far behind it would make my children seem to be. I don't like this district and never have. But aside from homeschooling them, I had *no other option here. Rock and a hard place...

We(and when I say we I *always mean my children and myself, as we make these sort of decisions together) decided homeschool would be best for them. We did a lot of research, a lot of talking and it's the conclusion we came to. Not necessarily an easy decision, or an easy process, but the best stuff in life is rarely easy.
There is only *one* school district I would ever let my children attend and feel comfortable about the decision, and that is the one in my hometown. I loved it. I love that town too though. It is an itty bitty village right on the lake. One mile by one mile square. Growing up there the population was roughly 1500-1800, at most(and that was a good 20 years ago, when I was about 10-ish). Now the population is about 3200-3500(at most) and won't likely grow any larger. I would give just about anything to live in that town with my children, I really love it. It bothers me a lot that I don't live there(which is odd, since most who grow up there, want out, lol). But I digress that's way off topic now.

Unless they choose to go to college, my children will not be attending any brick and mortar school, anytime soon. They are very adamant that they do *not* want to go back.

Mine never went to any preschool though. I'm not a fan of them, at least not for my kids(even though I did work in one, and taught in one-and truly loved the job). I did start doing, what most would consider homeschooling during the early toddler years though. Mostly for Alexis and Leo, as Alyssia spent most of the first 5 years in and out of the hospital and such. So it was a lot harder to work with her on much of anything outside of her health issues. Not that I didn't try, it just wasn't as *much as I would have liked, or what I did with the other two.
May 2nd, 2011, 10:06 AM
Regular
I am not officially homeschooling yet. My kids are in public school now, at the end of the year i am taking them out to homeschool them. I wanted to take them out mid year but i decided to let them finish the year. I am taking them out not only for academic reasons(both my k and 2nd grader are advanced in their grade and i feel like they are not learning to their full potential) but for moral reasons. When my son started kindergarten he did fine, he kinda keeps to himself and isnt heavily influenced by what other kids do, he just concentrates on his school work for the most part. When my daughter started K she totally changed, she would say bad words, dance inapproaitaly, and was just rude. So I am taking them out and now i have to reteach her how little girls are susposed to act.
May 2nd, 2011, 11:09 AM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
My ds went to ps until 2nd grade. My dd just attended k.... both my kids did preschool at my church. My almost 4 yr old will do one day of preschool this fall. I will teach him the rest of the time.

May 2nd, 2011, 01:06 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
My oldest went to school from prek-6th then home foe 7/8 and part of 9th..then back from for 1/4 of 10th and graduated in Dec from HSing. My other 3 have never and will ( God Willing) never be in a public school. We do not homeschool for religious or "moral" reasons at all.. but more because I feel the school system lacks any ability to truely challenge my kids. My oldest was "gifted" and by 6th grade the school had completely ruined that part of him. I won't let that happen to my younger three.
May 4th, 2011, 01:33 PM
mommybugnbugga's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I pulled my dd from school this past november when she was in the 2nd grade. My ds is currently in a public preschool program, however once he hits kindergarden he will come home as well. Ds is only in preschool because our insurance wouldn't allow him to have his speech therapy if he wasn't enrolled through the school system and the school system wouldn't allow him to just recieve his speech unless he was enrolled in preschool...however once he hits K age, I can homeschool him and he can recieve his therapies from our insurance with no problems...go figure

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search