Need advice on Phonics/Reading

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 29th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
DS is almost done the Lifepac LA K so I bought the Lifepac LA 1 and I do not like it at all. I want to focus him more on learning to read first and then move on to grammar. He can sound out a lot of words and easily read CVC reads. I guess my problem is I really do not know where to go from where he is at. I do the BOB books with him and he does great with those. We also do starfall.com. Any suggestions? Should I just continue the BOB books and starfall.com with him and go buy some reader books? Do I have to do phonics to teach him to read better? I am at a complete loss

7/24/12
10/09/12
April 29th, 2011, 03:26 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Sounds like you need Explode the Code! I love, love, love this program for teaching phonics. You can teach reading fluency, vocabulary, grammar, etc. with various programs, but for phonics, I definitely recommend ETC.

Another that people often recommend is Hooked on Phonics, which you can many times find at the library or a used bookstore. ETC is a series of workbooks, so it's hard to find those used.
April 29th, 2011, 06:57 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I second the use of Explode the Code
April 30th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you ladies! I ordered Explode the Code 2 for him

7/24/12
10/09/12
April 30th, 2011, 06:12 AM
Veteran
I haven't used Explode the Code but know it's a popular and well loved choice by many. Other popular (though non-workbook) choices are The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reaching and Phonics Pathways. You'd start part way in, obviously. If you go with Hooked on Phonics, it sounds like he could start with their 1st grade box. The K box is all CVC words plus "helper" words for reading the little stories (similar to Bob books from what I can tell), but if there is any of those he doesn't know I would expect they are reviewed in the 1st grade box. My own son enjoys using it in combination with Starfall.

There are free phonics programs you can use as well like Blend Phonics (you can find the free downloads and info about it at this link). They don't usually include as much hand holding for the parent though (like, The Ordinary Parent's Guide is scripted to tell you what to say and when). I know they intimidated me at first but now that I've got the idea of how to teach reading I could go back and start with one of those free ones and save myself all the money I've spent. It's a shame that isn't possible.
April 30th, 2011, 01:00 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like the early explode the code books, too. I also like Alpha Phonics. It might be good to have on hand if your child gets sick of explode the code worksheets at some point. I have used both.

[/url]

April 30th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We did LeapFrog DVDs, Bob books, then about a year of early readers and now we use All About Spelling which is great for both my proficient reader and emerging reader. I have heard great things about Explode the Code but we wanted a non consumable program because we have 4 children going through the program.

April 30th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We use Hooked on Phonics with ETC for a supplement. It has worked great for my girls.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search