The pledge of allegiance

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2011, 06:25 AM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do your kids know it? Do they recite it daily?

Just curious.

My kids don't know it...

[/url]

May 2nd, 2011, 06:58 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Know it? Yes. It's the *only* thing Ben learned in preschool when he was 2. Say it daily? Nope.
May 2nd, 2011, 08:00 AM
Veteran
They don't, but they will learn it. Not for daily recitation though.
May 2nd, 2011, 10:04 AM
Super Mommy
My son does not know the pledge but was excited to repeat his version to me when asked "I pledge allegiance to america and for liberty and peace everywhere." Now I like his version better but I'm glad I whisper it into his ear at co-op so he can say it with the rest of the kids.
May 2nd, 2011, 02:06 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
They know it. They knew it before they even started school.
Recite it daily? Nope. They did when they were in school(and I had no issues with them doing so, if they wanted, or not doing so, if they wanted).
But at home, they don't recite it daily.
May 3rd, 2011, 05:56 AM
sarah1up's Avatar Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguels mommy View Post
My son does not know the pledge but was excited to repeat his version to me when asked "I pledge allegiance to america and for liberty and peace everywhere." Now I like his version better but I'm glad I whisper it into his ear at co-op so he can say it with the rest of the kids.
If it was your son's version, then we would say it, I like that better! But otherwise it sounds too much like brain washing. We are agnostic as well, so even though I'm not bothered by the "under God" part, it doesn't reflect the entire nation very well. I will make sure Jet has heard of it and understands it (maybe part of a history lesson) but I would never ask him to stare at a flag and mindlessly repeat it like I had to in school.
May 3rd, 2011, 06:29 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Well, the older 2 know it, but don't say it daily. The youngest doesn't know it.
May 3rd, 2011, 07:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Rebecca probably knows at least some of it, because they say it at the start of AWANA each meeting, but she will not be taught it by us, and we will not have her recite it. It is our believe, as Christians, that it is inappropriate to pledge our allegiance to a piece of cloth, and instead prefer to put our allegiance with God as it should be. She will not be taught the pledge to the Christian flag or the AWANA flag either (and when the time comes in AWANA that the AWANA leaders try to make her learn it/participate in it, we will inform the leaders of our decision so she isn't required to know/say/participate on it).
May 25th, 2011, 01:13 PM
My kids don't yet know or recite it... however I do have it printed up with a picture of a flag and will hang it up this summer (we're still re-organizing our house for schooling). We are not religious or atheist, we simply want our kids to respect what it has meant to be an American for so many hundreds of years. We want them to respect the flag, respect the country, and always respect and remember all the men and women who have lost their lives for our country. It is safe to say history will be a big part of our curriculum, especially American history (my husband is a card-carrying Native American).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search