Skip counting?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2011, 03:38 PM
Tofu Bacon
So, is there any special tricks to teaching skip counting, or is it just a matter of memorization?
May 2nd, 2011, 04:03 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I made up songs to teach my kids. PM your email address to me, and I'll send you the audios. Even my 2 year old is skip counting up to 15x12. They both picked up all the songs within a matter of weeks. I didn't make up a song for the 1's or 10's, but the others have one up to 15's (I need to finish making them... I'd like to go through 18 or 19). Like, the 2's are from Thomas the Train. The 3's, 4's and 5's are all the same song using Jingle Bells. The 6's are Jesus Loves Me. ... and so on.
May 2nd, 2011, 04:20 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sure using Ben's mom's audios is cheaper (!!), but I know that Math U See offers songs on CD to use with skip counting, too.

To understand the concept, I think actually counting something by using skip counting helps kids "get it" which helps the skip counting become easier to memorize. E.g. I would tell the child that skip counting is a "fast way to count" and have them count out their peas or candy by groups of 2's. Then they can see, visually, what they are doing. Also give them little word problems, e.g. "How many feet are in the house if there are 4 people in the house?" Then explain that each person has 2 feet, so we can count like 2, 4, 6, 8, and we know there are 8 feet in the house. You can do the same with fingers & toes (for 5's), shoes, eyes, ears (for 2's), etc.

When we did this in addition to solving written word problems by drawing them out (e.g. DS would draw 4 pairs of shoes), he could remember how to skip count pretty easily.

[/url]

May 2nd, 2011, 05:14 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
To be honest, I think it's more memorization than anything, regardless of what method you use to teach them.

They remember the poems, the songs, the(insert whatever you use).. and that helps the numbers "stick" in their brain(as my kids say, lol).

Using something they are familiar with-like songs they know, will help a lot. But retaining the information and being able to draw on it at any given time requires memorization of the numbers themselves. The methods used just help them find that knowledge in their noggin a little faster. Rhymes worked great for the girls.

Leo uses manipulatives for just about everything in math. He's still working on skip counting actually. But if he can *picture what we've used, he has less trouble. A song wouldn't help him, because he's simply be repeating words and not really *know the numbers(if that makes any sense). That's not a method that works well for him, at least with math. He has to understand not just repeat. He needs the visualization on his mind while he's doing it-if not directly in front of him. He can picture himself moving pennies, or blocks, or whatever, and count that way. The girls on the other hand can connect the numbers with the rhymes and totally "get it".
May 2nd, 2011, 05:33 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are working on this with Evelyn right now. She's a very visual learner so we've done a lot of computer games and number charts. As others have mentioned, using manipulatives really helped her to "see" why we were counting that way.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search