Next year...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 5th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am in need of a better schedule for next year. K12 has a minimum hours you're supposed to reach but there are days that we just can't, for whatever reason, get school work done.

My idea is to do 6 hours per day 4 days a week and maybe split it up 3 hours in the morning and another 3 in the evening/afternoon. Has anyone tried a schedule like this? How did it work for you?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
May 5th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
We don't follow the "suggested" daily hours that K12 has, and we're doing just peachy. Those aren't minimum requirements, at least for us, they're just suggestions. Now we did have one "teacher" tell us we need to meet daily minimums but she wasn't exactly a nice person so...don't much care what her opinion is/was.

We have lots of days when we do very little, or even nothing. In the end it all adds up, so I'm not really worried.
We have weekend days we do school work, evenings, mornings, afternoons, holidays even. No real necessary planned out schedule, because I don't think we'd be able to stick by it even if we had one. That's one of the reasons we even thought about homeschooling, not needing to have a planned schedule for every day.
But I have broken up some of our longer days into morning and then afternoon/evening and it seems to work out just fine.
May 5th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Our teacher has told me not to worry too much about it as well because I stay in contact with her so she knows why we're behind in their hours and stuff. (we've received one truancy letter but was told we can ignore it)

It's hard for us because my son has Asperger's and works best with a set routine, but I have a VERY hard time with routines and stuff. I'm trying to kinda merge the two, ya know? LOL

Hopefully we don't have as much going on next year as we had this year (i had surgery, my mom will have had 2 by the end of school year, brought in a foster daughter, getting ready for foster daughter to leave again (she needs an mr/dd placement ), daughter started preschool, etc......). Maybe I'll just let next year ride and see how we end up, when things are calm, before playing with stuff. I'm just a worry wart! LOL

Still am interested in hearing about schedules and stuff so that I can attempt to have a routine for him.

May 5th, 2011, 11:22 AM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
I don't follow an exact schedule now. My first year I planned down to the minute. Now, we usually start between 10-11. We finish whenever they finish. Some days 2 hours and some days 6 hours. We always break for lunch @1-130.

May 5th, 2011, 11:29 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2princes2princesses View Post
(we've received one truancy letter but was told we can ignore it)
I'd be extremely careful about this. Who told you to ignore it, and did they put it in writing? Don't just take someone's word about it.

I wouldn't spend 6 hours on school unless you're teaching a high schooler. I don't know anyone who spends more than 30-45 minutes per grade level... unless you're saying *YOU* spend that much time *YOURSELF* when HS'ing all of your kids, but individually, they spend far less than that? I'm kinda confused.

I don't have a set schedule, either. We usually do most work in the morning, but that's the extent of our "schedule". We've got a million things to do and places to go, so we just work around it. Some days are heavy school days, and some are light.
May 5th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
His teacher told me not to worry about the truancy letter because we're in contact with her and she knew why we were behind and when we were gonna make it up. And yes, I believe these exchanges were through Kmail.

Little Man is the only one doing homeschool. Munchkin is my foster daughter. She wanted to be home schooled but they did the cut off the day before Hubby & I was granted custody of her. Michaleen is my stepson and he goes to public school where he lives. Lastly, Princess is in public preschool. We haven't decided if we'll homeschool her when the time comes. I know she'll at least do Kindy in public school. After that it will depend.

L.M. **loves** doing school and really wouldn't mind 6 hour days. It's hard to get all his required subjects in each week because of his Study Island, Title 1, & Intervention requirements on top of regular classes. But he does the game lessons for SI & T1 so as far as he cares, he's just playing educational video games. LOL We just this week finished Semester 1 of Language Arts and he's behind in History, Art, and Science too. He (and I) tended to focus on Math because he liked it so much. (another thing i'll have to fix next year) I'm trying to figure out a way for next year him not to be as behind as he is now. He can do the work, he just has no real interest in those classes so he doesn't push himself like he does in Math.

I'm hoping that next year Princess will get a morning preschool class so that we have to wake up to get her to school and we can get a good start while she's gone. As it is now the morning is spent (for me) getting her ready and I can't focus on his school work til 11:30 after she's gone. By then he's already been playing all morning and doesn't want to stop to come work.

May 5th, 2011, 07:10 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Yeah, I think switching to a morning routine will definitely help a lot.
May 6th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm gonna BEG them to place her in a morning class. LOL I wanted one for this year but took what I could get so she could get started (she just started a few months ago after her 3rd birthday). I think it'll really help with our slacking. LOL

May 9th, 2011, 07:40 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I agree to changing to the morning. What about maybe trying to do a little reward chart with him, like using stickers on the subjects that he is not interested in and when he gets so many stickers he earns a small prize/video game time/etc.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search