Co-ops

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Regular
I was just wondering if anyone is part of a co-op, and are they really necessary. Despite living in a large city i have found 1 co-op in my area (i know there are probabaly more) and it meets for 4 hours on the 1 full day my dh has off.
What goes on in co-ops?
What are some other activities i can get my kids inolved in where they can make friends?
May 8th, 2011, 10:46 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I don't do co-ops. I'm not opposed to them. They just don't work for us. Co-ops meet for a variety of reasons, but most commonly, one member teaches for an entire term -or- the members take turns teaching for an entire term, to cover a specific subject and grade level as a class. It might be a high school math class that you're not comfortable teaching yourself, or it could be an elementary music/drama class that's better done as a group than individually. For now, though, we haven't found one that fits our needs.

Kids can make friends at park days, places like YMCA or karate, and things like that. It doesn't have to be a co-op setting. I'm in a homeschool group that primarily focuses on field trips, for example. The kids get together when we go somewhere, and then we also schedule playdates for specific members of the group who are my son's closest friends.
May 8th, 2011, 06:07 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom View Post
I'm in a homeschool group that primarily focuses on field trips, for example. The kids get together when we go somewhere, and then we also schedule playdates for specific members of the group who are my son's closest friends.
Hey, is there a nationwide organization that does this? If so, I would like to know the name of it so I could see if there is one near me. I wish we had something like that. I feel like co-ops may not be my thing, either, but a field trip group would be really cool.

[/url]
May 8th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are considering trying a co-op for next year. We were a part of a park day for homeschoolers but the group wasn't quite the right fit for our family. The co-op we are going to try doesn't require you to teach, but does require that you take two volunteer jobs (playground monitor, setting up for lunch, etc). Since we have several younger children we are going to try it for a semester and then decide if it's something we can do. In our co-op there is a morning session with two classes, then lunch/play time, and then afternoon session with another two classes. My husband and I work opposite shifts so she'll just be staying for lunch and then home in the afternoon.

Evelyn is involved in gymnastics and German dancing but she is very social and that isn't enough to keep her happy. If this co-op doesn't work out we will look into other activities where she can be more social than she can in her current activities.

May 8th, 2011, 07:59 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraJo29 View Post
Hey, is there a nationwide organization that does this? If so, I would like to know the name of it so I could see if there is one near me. I wish we had something like that. I feel like co-ops may not be my thing, either, but a field trip group would be really cool.
I don't know of one, no. I joined one for preschoolers and then created one for gradeschoolers. I'm usually really busy with the gradeschooler one, so I don't have time to do many of the trips for Daniel in the preschool group. Daniel has fun on Ben's trips anyway. I try to plan them so that older & younger siblings can join us as often as possible.
May 9th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Super Mommy
We tried a co-op for preschool stuff and I found it to be unnecessary and tiring since I also was taking care of a one year old at the time. For our family, I've decided that if we join one it will be when the kids are older for subjects I may not feel comfortable teaching.

We are however a part of a homeschool support group and I love it! Like Chrystal's, ours has playdates for kids of different age groups, a very active yahoo group for discussions among the moms, field trips, and monthly meetings for the moms to get together and encourage each other. You might try googling for homeschool support groups in your area instead of co-ops and see what comes up.

Make a pregnancy ticker
May 9th, 2011, 07:23 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
There is one that I have heard of around here that does one for field trips, but as in a co-op to do classes in, no we don't do that. To me, that is just like having them in school and not being able to be the one doing the lessons as I would rather have it. There are some around here that you even pay app fees and then they still have to approve you, there are also others that I have heard about that seem to focus mostly on the jr/sr high kids. So, we don't fit into that group either.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search